Jul 29 2008

Introduction

Published by at 8:13 pm under Christmas,Holiday

Hello,  thank you for stopping in, I wish you all a wonderful day!

Over the last several weeks I’ve struggled with the decision as to where I want the direction of my stamping life to go.  I was blessed and honored to serve as a design team member for the Dirty Dozen Design Team at Splitcoaststampers. I’ve made many wonderful friends that I dearly treasure.

So now that my term is up, where do I go from here?  Hence – my struggle. I’ve been fortunate to have received offers to do design team work for stamping companies, and until recently my heart was headed in that direction.  Recent events in my life changed that focus.  In May my pastor and his son were taken from us in a tragic plane crash.  On the day of their funerals my three year old niece drowned in yet another tragic accident.  My heart was burdened with grief and I wondered how I would finish out my term with the Dirty Dozen.  God stepped in and gave me comfort as no other could.

After much thought and soul searching I’ve made the decision to step back from design team work and to spend the precious time we’re given with my family.  As many designers will attest, design work takes a tremendous amount of time.  There is so much I want to do and I hope this Fall to move forward with my dreams.  I would like to take drawing and painting classes to further develop watercolor techniques.  Over the next few weeks I hope to be posting what I’ll call my “work from the heart”.   What is work from the heart?  Well, in my case, it will be work that inspires me.  I hope you join me on my journey. I would like to share a devotional with you, followed by a verse that touches my heart:

*The world bombards us with promises – promises of beauty, popularity, wealth, and fame.  But most of the worlds’ promises are empty – just glitzy advertising that fails to live up to its promises.  And so we become cynical and feel that it might be “safer” to live without hope.  Failure to live up to expectations – our own and other’s – surrounds us on every side.  And we wonder if there is anyone we can trust completely.

Then we turn to the Bible and find that it offers a higher hope: the ability to endure the difficult days we face, and the promise of a life filled with God’s presence, now and forever.  As we focus on the promises of God, we find a hope that sustains us, and a peace that passes all understanding.  Because God is faithful to His Word even when we lose heart.  Let the promises of God fill your heart with joy and your mouth with praise, today and always.

Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, And whose hope is the Lord . . Jeremiah 17:7

*Promises From God for Women

I love the Christmas in July theme and thought I’d better get this project in before the end of the month.  I designed this watercolor picture in December 2007 for a color challenge that my Dirty Dozen sister, Emily Giovanni, hosted.  Emily I love your color challenges girl, you took me out of my traditional Christmas “color” box and forced me to explore.  I would never have thought to use Real Red, Certainly Celery, and Taken With Teal for a Christmas project and look how beautiful it turned out.  Thank you, Sweetie!

christmas-ornaments-un-traditional-colors.jpg

• Stamps:   Flourishes
  • Paper:  Basic Black, Certainly Celery, Canson watercolor paper
  • Ink:  Versamark
  • Accessories:  Tombow markers, watercolor brush, Ranger gold EP, heating tool, Swarovski crystals, Dimensionals, sheer ribbon, gold cord

I designed this poinsettia card for a few of my friends.  You may have seen it back in December when Sharon Johnson posted it on her blog.  It’s in my SCS gallery as well.  The Me & Carrie Lou stamps are so versatile, this card shows the full image of the poinsettia in the card above.

christmas-poinsettia.jpg

• Stamps:  A Muse sentiment, IBB, Fantastic Foliage
  • Paper:  Basic Black, Real Red, Old Olive , Canson watercolor paper
  • Ink:  Basic Black, Versamark
  • Accessories:  sheer ribbon, gold cord, circle punches, Yarka watercolor paints, SU markers, Ranger gold EP, Dimensionals, heating tool, watercolor paintbrush

73 Responses to “Introduction”

1. OH, Jerri — both of these cards just literally take my breath away!!! They are so full of beauty and life — you are so truly, truly talented with your watercolors — OH, I just can’t imagine what you’ll do once you take those classes you are wishing for!!! And your devotional is so, so appropriate — you have NO idea! Thank you so much!!!

2. Linda Marie says:

WOW! Can I get on your Christmas card list? Your artwork is BRILLIANT! So glad you’ve taken up blogging & sharing your God given talent w/us!

3. Pat (mspfd) says:

Beautiful work Jerri! I wish to congratulate you on your new venture. Much luck to you and thank you for all the inspiration you have shared and will continue to share here on your new blog.

4. absolutely stunning! I love the color combination on the first one

5. Latisha says:

I have heard nothing but good things about you from my dear friend Jan Marie. So glad to see you blogging.

6. Velta says:

Jerri ~ I just subscribed to your blog yesterday and I think your art is just stunning!! Both of these cards a so very beautiful. I hope to see more of your work in the future. I am so sorry for your recent loss. Good Luck in you future ventures.

7. SueB says:

Susan Roberts put a link on her blog today to your blog and I’m so thankful she did. Your work is beautiful. I’m adding you to my Google Reader to stay updated and look forward to your tutorials on watercoloring – it’s an area I enjoy but need to increase my knowledge and skills. Welcome to the blogosphere!

Jerri, both of these cards are simply stunning! My favorite it is the poinsettia :)! You never cease to amaze me w/your talent, gf. I am so glad that you have decided to blog. I am contemplating blogging someday and you inspire me to do so.

Pinky

9. Bev J. says:

Both are truly beautiful cards. I admire you for following your heart-good luck on your chosen path and I look forward to more beautiful work.

Bev J. (Maxell on SCS)

10. Kris says:

God bless you for sharing and inspiring! My daily work brings me in contact with so many hurting people, that it can be daunting. Stamping (and lots of prayer) truly takes me away from those concerns to a more peaceful pursuit, but I’ve been relegated lately to looking online at the artwork of others. Yours is beautiful!

I was thrilled that Sharon H directed us to your site, but so sorry to hear of the tragedies that have touched you and your family so deeply. As you’ve expressed so eloquently, though, God takes us to Him in all different ways particularly when we are troubled and hurting. Thanks so much for your devotional. What a wonderful way to reach out to masses with your faith – artistry and blogging – who would have thought a few years ago that something called “blogging” would ever be a means to spread God’s word? Adding your beautiful artistry will only enhance the experience. Thanks so much and keep the blog rolling! Have a great week!

P.S.: You and your readers might enjoy reading the book Creative Call: An Artist’s Response to the Way of the Spirit by Janice Elsheimer and her book The Way of the Spirit: A Christian’s Guide to Reawakening the Artist Within. They’re very inspiring!

Kris Turner
    Wadsworth, OH

11. Jody M says:

Jerri, I loved the work you did while you were on the Dirty Dozen. You are an inspiration to our craft! Look forward to what you have in store for us. As to your decision, you never go wrong when you put family first, they grow up to fast. Wish you continued peace and joy.

12. deb mills says:

your cards are absolutely breathtaking!! i especially love the one with the ornaments. your coloring is exquisite! i too, just started blogging recently and am loving it.
    i’m so sorry about the recent tragedies in your life. it really is true that God carries us through those times. i’m looking forward to the ‘works from the heart’ that you’re going to be sharing with us.

13. Hello my friend :)

Well spoken – you articulated very well the reason for the hope we have…and the reason we can lay our life at His feet and allow Him to shape it. I know He is shaping you powerfully Jerri.

I’m signing up my friend! Can’t wait till we can do some back and forth blog hopping challenges together!

14. Linda E says:

Congratulations on your blog! Your work is beautiful. I can’t wait to see more.

15. nancy littrell says:

What a joy to see both of these gorgeous works of art again. I am still stunned at all your artistic details and colors. I am thrilled that you are going to be taking painting classes and so look forward to your new artful creations.
    Thank you for sharing your so appropriate devotional and it sounds like you are loving and appreciating every moment of life again. Take care my friend, Nancy

16. Jerri, wow girl all of your work is absolutely gorgeous! I read your post, nodding my head in agreement with you. Your devotional seems so appropriate in so many different ways. Thank you for sharing! I’m tickled you have started blogging, and I will be checking in with you on a daily basis. Hugs my friend!

17. Joan B says:

Beautiful cards. Welcome to blog land. I am so impressed that you made such a heartfelt and thoughtful decision to turn down design work. Good for you! My sympathies on your enormous losses.

18. Stamper Gai says:

I’m very excited that you have started a blog. I hope you find it soul lifting Jerri. I know that we surely will. You have a lovely way of expressing your faith and hope and I’m so looking forward to hearing different ways that Jesus is working in you. Someone questioned above who would have ever thought that stamping would bring people closer to God, but personally I don’t wonder that because, when they see your beautiful creations and read your inspirational notes I think they will realize that you have a God given gift and you are ministering to us through it.

You were a blessing to me a few months ago and I’ve been able to use the blessing to do some wonderful things for others. You are a true inspiration and soon I will share some of the creations you have inspired me to make. When I stamp I listen to my worship music singing my little heart out. It’s like prayer to me and I feel at such peace when I’m listening to this music while designing with some of the beautiful stamps you introduced me to. Other than being in church, it’s my favorite place to be.

I’m so looking forward to what you have yet to come for us here on your blog and will be visiting you here often.

Many Blessings to you my friend,

Gail Binette

19. kathleen says:

I prayed for your church members when we heard of your pastor’s death. I’m so sorry for all of you. What a small world this is! I hope you will enjoy all that the Lord has for you to do. I admire you for knowing what you needed and having the courage to do it. I came over from Sharon Johnson’s blog—I’m so glad she sent us over. Blessings~

Well, girlfriend, ya did it!!! Your blog is wonderful and your artwork is out of this world gorgeous!!! I hate it that you have *graduated* from the DD team….you are such an inspiration!! I am glad for you, though…I know how hard it was for you to complete your term with such a heavy heart…may God lift up your spirit and give you peace and comfort! I wish you every success and I willl be visiting you often to see what you have been up to!! Love ya!!!

Your faith is such a blessing to me – thank you for sharing your heart with us. I’m so sorry for all the tragic events you and your loved ones have had to deal with the past few months…

Your watercoloring is stunning – you have such a gift and I’m so thankful that you are sharing it with us!

22. oh my goodness!!! I need to thank YOU, Jerri! These are absolutely stunningly gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing them!!

23. Me & Carrie Lou Gloria says:

Hi, I was just wondering if you could tell me where I can find Me & Carrie Lou stamps?

24. C Burke says:

Your cards are just gorgeous!

25. Carole says:

Hi Jerry,

The colours on those two cards are gorgeous!

26. Michelle V says:

I love what you did with the crystals in the Rejoice card. Both cards are breathtaking!

27. Kellye Newburn says:

I think I need to add some Me & Carrie Lou stamps to my wish list! Thanks for sharing your work!

28. Toni says:

After seeing all of the Christmas posts here, I just adore the Poinsettia stamp that you have used! Thank you for the wonderful chance to see your beautiful work! I believe that you are destined for greatness with your wonderful talent!

29. jules p says:

I love the gold embossing on both bards. it just makes it pop. i love it. gorgeous cards

30. Michelle A. says:

You did an amazing job with the color challenge, I love the rejoice card…it looks amazing. Your poinsettia is gorgeous…. you have such a fantastic talent. TFS it!

31. Wow , these are so fabulous , I envy your talent , your cards are so glorious I can’t stop looking at them !

32. Lisa Dickinson says:

so pretty!

33. Eileen McClean says:

love them both but particularly the poinsettia.Thanks for the ideas and the opportunity to win
    Eileeen

34. Cheryl B. says:

Both cards are beautiful! I especially love the poinsettia one.

35. Carol P says:

Both are beautiful….my favorite is the first one. Love the color combo.

36. SueB says:

Stunning “Christmas in July” projects – TFS!

37. Mary Campbell says:

More beautiful cards. Love the watercoloring. Truly beautiful!!! Thanks for letting us enjoy you rwork.

38. Sheri Danielson says:

Your blog is super duper and I plan to look at it every day and wish I were you!

39. Barb (GrandmaUpNorth) says:

Your cards are gorgeous. I keep seeing Me and Carrie Lou. Where do you get these stamps? I guess I off to Google it!! Your work is truly stunning, just beautiful.

40. StampinCathy says:

These are just beautiful cards. You amaze me with all your MOJO! I just love your creative style. Maybe some of your MOJO will rub off on me a little! :)

41. Nancy Park says:

The poinsettia s my favorite.. I enjoy your use of gold embossing it just makes the color and project pop.

42. Rebecca B. says:

SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! ~Rebecca

43. Lois (clownmom) says:

I can’t believe I hadn’t already commented on these beautiful Christmas cards because, when I saw them the first time, I was speechless (maybe that’s why I didn’t leave a comment!). I especially liked the ornament card.

44. Allison F says:

Wow! I love these. You are giving me great ideas for next years Christmas cards. I never really liked gold before but it just looks so stunning on Christmas cards.

I’ve been following your blog for a few months but never read through the previous entries. I hope God has healed your heart a bit from this summer’s tragedies. Thank you for continuing to share your gift with us even amidst heart ache. These Christmas cards are simply stunning.
    Cathy Spicer

46. Darlene L says:

Amazing cards–but what an emotional time for you. I was so impressed with what you shared and really believe that spending time with your family is the greatest gift you can give them and yourself. Thank you for sharing that thought process with us.
    darlene

47. Roberta says:

This Christmas card is positively stunning! Are you combining watercolor paints with SU markers? Please teach me.

48. Susan B says:

I read your blog entry and cannot believe how much tragedy touched your life this summer. I understand your reasoning for pulling back from Design Team work, but am selfishly thankful that you are still sharing your amazing talents on your blog. Your work is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us.

49. Lisa says:

I really like the poinsettia card. The ribbon is subtle but adds a lot.

50. Sue D says:

The poinsettia card is absolutely beautiful and the color choice on the Rejoice card is surprising pretty too.

51. Laurie says:

The poinsettia card is stunning but the ornament card blew me away. Love the colors and the layout. Thanks for the sample.

52. Dana Herin says:

I truly love the colors in “Rejoice” and probably wouldn’t have tried them before but I will now. After viewing your blog I will be checking out the Me & Carrie Lou stamps and the Krylon gold pens. Great projects! You are extremely talented.

53. Carolyn Sharkas says:

Oh my goodness, how beautiful.. I am off to look for a blog subscription button so I can be reminded each time you post.

thanks for sharing such beautiful artwork

carolyn s

ceashark at aol dot com

54. Carla H. says:

Stunning card work, luv the colors with the ornaments!! I am so very sorry to read of the tragic events in this post, but I’m so thankful God is filling that empty space in your heart. I will continue to visit your blog after the holidays because your work is stunning…xoxo

55. gail says:

You are so very talented. I think your designs are exquisite! Thank you so much for sharing. g

56. Isabel Z says:

Your creations always leave me with a sense of awe. What you create is truly a work of art. Thank you for sharing and inspiring me.

57. Kerry from PA says:

I’m with you – I would never have guessed that Real Red, Certainly Celery, and Taken With Teal would work for a Christmas card but it is awesome.

58. Nadine Papove says:

Your work is stunningly beautiful. Your watercoloring combined with your use of the gold is incredible. I am so happy I discovered your blog and I look forward to seeing whatever you come up with next. Thanks for sharing.

59. Hilda says:

I just love the color combination you used for the ornament card, and I love how you incorporate the poinsettia image into your designs. You do amazing work! Thanks for sharing.

60. Rene Mewes says:

Great cards! Really puts one in the Christmas spirit!

Rene’ Mewes
    RM3116@charter.net

61. CherylG says:

The poinsettia card is my favorite. You color so beautifull. Very expensive looking!
    CherylG
    mcgodfrey918 athotmaildotcom

62. Jennifer says:

those are some of the prettiest Christmas cards that I have come across! WOW

Jennifer L.

63. rebecca says:

These should be in an art gallery, not just on a blog. Gorgeous!! I want some of your talent for Christmas….

64. Cindyb says:

The pointsettia is just gorgeous. I agree, your work should be in an art gallery!

65. Karen L. says:

I gasped when I saw the beautiful watercolor work you did on both these cards. I especially like the non-traditional version of the Rejoice card. That card just GLOWS!
    I wish you all the best in your new venture and fully understand your decision to spend more time with family and to continue to pursue your watercoloring. You have a great talent and can only go on from here!

66. SHartl says:

I am so sorry to hear of all the tragedies that life has brought to you this past year and can understand your decision to pull back from designing and spend more family time.
    After all, what is more important than time spent with loved ones?
    Your cards are so beautiful, and your technique is amazing. I have enjoyed everything you’ve shown us and look forward to seeing even more!

67. Cheri Howard says:

So beautiful! I’ve noticed that there are so many ways to use non-Christmas colors in Christmas cards. It’s surprising sometimes what results.

Enjoy your family time, and thanks for sharing your cards on your blog!

68. AnneSATX says:

I’m so sorry to hear about the tragedies you’ve experienced. You have all my sympathy and prayers.
    Your cards just take my breath away. I’m am so glad to have found your blog through Sharon’s blog. I must study your work more carefully. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing art with us.

69. Dean says:

You are in our prayers. God is an Awesome God, and a Prayer Answering God.

70. Pam Clay says:

I too, like the non-traditional colors for Christmas like you used on your Rejoice card. Although, the Old Olive card is most elegant! God has blessed you with a wonderful gift and we thank for sharing it with us!

71. Sarah Denny says:

Pretty cards! I love looking at your work!

Sarah Denny

72. Julia Carter says:

Those cards are super- cute. Your work has this elegance to it, I am loving it all.

73. Nan says:

Love the blue and red together and the poinsettia is gorgeous!