Nov 24 2008

Flower Girl

Published by at 1:18 pm under SCS Design Team,Wedding

Moving along in my bridal series I’d like to share my flower girl, she’s just so adorable to me.  The image is from Inque Boutique’s Flutter By, Butterfly, such a beautiful set, I just love it! I haven’t provided a link to Inque Boutique because the company has been sold and I don’t know who the new owners are.  I did read Stephanie Bernard’s blog and I’m so very sorry the new owners chose not to have Stephanie come on board, that will most definitely be their loss.  I met Stephanie at CHA in July and she is totally adorable.

I stamped the flower girl twice, colored both images, and placed one on top of the other for dimension. The images were cut out using a craft knife.   I placed her on dimensionals again and adhered her to the card.  The butterflies are from Kitchen Sink Stamps and are on dimensionals as well.  All images were colored with Prismacolored pencils.  I added Dazzling Diamonds to the dress for added sparkle.  The little bow on the front of the dress was colored twice and placed on dimensionals as well.  It doesn’t show in the photograph, but this card has a lot of dimension.

flower-girl.jpg

• Stamps:  Inque Boutique; Kitchen Sink Stamps, SU (sentiment)
  • Paper:  SU DP, Whisper White, Basic Black, Carol’s Rose Cottage DP
  • Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black
  • Accessories:  Dazzling Diamonds, Dimensionals, craft knife, silver cord, Cuttlebug tag, Hero Arts bling, Lavender Moon Ribbon (Papertrey, Ink), small circle punch (for tag)

I’d like to share some of my favorite tools with you.

glue-glider.jpg

I recently purchased this Glue Glider Pro and absolutely love it.  Years ago I purchased an ATG gun and tried unsuccessfully to use it.  It was just way too heavy and bulky.  It was also very difficult for me to load the refills.  Although the ATG gun is a wonderful tool, it just didn’t work for me in card making.  When I saw this tool, it reminded me of the ATG gun so I decided to give it a try.  Boy am I glad I did!  Living in Florida the humidity factor is really difficult with a lot of the adhesives on the market, they don’t adhere well; not so with this little gem.  It’s lightweight, easy to use, never skips, goes on rather smoothly . . . needless to say I was instantly smitten and wrote to my friend, Joan, and advised that I had found the adhesive of my dreams.  Joan now carries the Glue Glider in her store, Joan’s Gardens, as well as the refills.  And this little tool won’t set you back an arm and a leg, it’s very affordable . . . another bonus!  I’ve taken a picture of a refill, please excuse my poor photography, but I think you get the gist of what it looks like.

glue-glider-refill.jpg

In a previous post, I used the Perfect Layers tool to show how I place layers/panels on my cards perfectly and have gotten a few questions regarding that tool so I thought I would share it with those of you who are not familiar with it.  Stampin’ Up! no longer carries it in their catalog.  So for those of you who have it and have never used it . . . LOL . . . maybe this will help.

perfect-layers-1.jpg

I’ve taken some close ups to show the different size panels that can be made.  My favorite is 1/16″ and since most dies don’t come lower than 1/8″, this is a perfect tool for me.  As you can see from the close ups, the measurements start at 1/16″ and go up to 5/8″.  There are lips on both sides of the tools giving you up to 8 options in size.

perfect-layers-2.jpg

It’s very easy to use once you get the gist of it.  You lay your photo or panel on a cutting board and choose the measurement you want to use, in my case it’s usually 1/16″.  Lay the tool down on top of the image and abut the lip to the edge of the image and then use a craft knife to make the cut.  You’ll definitely want to use a cutting mat when using this tool.  I always tape my image down with a non-tacky tape so it doesn’t slip when I’m cutting.  I get perfect layers every time.

perfect-layers-3.jpg

Oops, excuse my fingerprints  . . . LOL . . . well at least you can tell that I do use this tool alot!  This photo shows that I have punched a large tag from my SU punch.  Now if I want to go even larger all I have to do is tape down the punched tag, line up the tool on the left side of the tag and catch it on the lip.

perfect-layers-4.jpg

As you can see in this photo, I’m working around the tag, cutting all the sides by lining up the tool on the edge of the tag abutting up to the lip.

perfect-layers-5.jpg

And here is the finished tag.  It looks slightly off at the top, but that’s only the angle of the photo, I tried to get perfectly over the tag for the shot, but couldn’t, I had to come in at a slight angle.  With the perfect layers tool, I can make take any punch, as long as it as straight sides, and make whatever size I want.  I could go on and on building up the size, a punch or die can’t do that!  And that’s why I love this tool!

perfect-layers-6.jpg

19 Responses to “Flower Girl”

1. Hi Jerri! I just took a walk through your blog. I am in awe. Wow. I love everything I’m seeing; the guy’s suit jacket card was the most unique and eye catching thing I’ve seen in ages. Its amazing! But so is this darling flower girl card. Wow. I love everything you did, and most esp. the way you added color in some places on the bg piece, but then it goes whiter as it gets closer to the top. I cannot picture how you did that! I see flowers but did you paint those? Wow, this is spectacular. I love the sparkle and dimension of it, and the matching bow in the corner, that matches the bow on her dress. Just a thing of beauty, this is!

2. Becca Feeken says:

Jerri, this is amazing!! I love what you’ve done with the little girl image and I absolutely love all the embellishments!!

3. This image is so precious….so sweet as a flower girl! You know I’ve seen your glue gun at my LSS..but was hesitant to invest in it not knowing much about it, but now I just might have to take the plunge! Thanks for the info!

4. Elaine M. says:

Jerri – thanks so much for sharing “Joan’s Garden” with us. The 2 craft/stamp stores in our area closed this year and it’s been a real challenge to find supplies. But I’m especially glad to know about the new Glue Glider Pro !! I’ve been using the ATG and it was a love/hate relationship – I loved not having to keep buying small gliders – but the ATG was tempermental – you had to hold it just right so the tape wouldn’t wind around the rollers – sometimes it’d skip. I’m on my 3rd one right now and it’s been threatening to die on me right here at Christmas card time. I went one state over to pick up some supplies and started to buy a new ATG at $70 — with all the other Thanksgiving/Christmas expenses, I just had to leave it at the store and hope my gun would hold together until after the New Year. Now I’ve found Joan’s Garden and the new Glue Glider Pro — I’m sending in an order tomorrow. Thank you thank you thank you for sharing info with us.

5. Another fabulous creation, Jerri!!! Again, you AMAZE ME!!!! I can’t wait to get my new glue gun and now that you’ve gotten me interseted in the Perfect Layers tool you tell me SU no longer sells it — LOL!!!! I thought it would be an easy find!!! Thanks so much for all you share!!!

6. What a sweet little flower girl! Just adorable! Thanks for your tutorial here– the photos are great, as is your narrative!

7. Hi Jerri,
    I am enjoying, and learning from, your blog. I started visiting about two weeks ago – I’m not even sure how I found you. :o) I just was clicking away and ended up at your site. I am so happy I did!! Since I’ve been visiting, I brought out my Tombow markers and have discovered new ways to use them – thanks to you!! As I am reading your post today I am inspired to bring out my SU! Perfect Layers tool and I sent Joan email to get a Pro tool. :o) So glad I found you!! Thanks for sharing your creativity and tool tips!!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

8. Shel9999 says:

Another beauty, Jerri! Just stunning! (And I may have to check out that glue gun. We have big humidity issues here too. I hate when cards fall apart.)

9. Janine says:

Hi Jerri!!! Love the flower girl card!! My gosh your work is amazing!!
    Thanks for all the great tips too.

10. Elaine says:

Thanks for your review of the Glue Glider. I saw an ad of this tool a few months ago but didn’t order it because I hadn’t heard anyone talk about it.

Jerri,

Another simply gorgeous card!

Thanks for sharing your experience with this adhesive. I’m going to give it a try. I live in New England where we have oppressive humidity in summer and frigid cold in winter. And I have yet to find an adhesive I’m in love with (but many that have “failed”… :( … ).

I’m so sad that SU D/C’d those guides! I went looking for them… none to be found. That’s the second tool of theirs that came highly recommended and I’ve tried to get, only to discover that they don’t carry it any more. So frustrating!

Have a great week and a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!

12. Amazing as always, Jerri. Your coloring is just the sweetest!! I have this stamp but would never be able to bring her to life as you have. Perfection.

This is just precious, Jerri!! All of your details are as incredible as always, and your tutorial is wonderful!! Thank you!!

14. […] can read Jerri’s testimonial on the Glue Glider here, and you can read all the details about the 2 for 1 Sale that Joan has over at Joan’s Garden […]

15. Thanks for the info. on the Glue Glider , I ordered one from Joan and just got it yesterday and can’t wait to try it out , Joan is so awesome to work with ! Thanks again ! :)

16. Lois (clownmom) says:

Thanks for the review of the Glue Glider, Jerri. Between you and Sharon Johnson I was convinced. I just got off the phone with Joan. I ordered several of them — am going to give a couple as Christmas gifts. I too was turned off by the bulkiness of the ATC gun, and this one looks like it will work very well.

17. Deb M says:

Thanks for this post. I am one of those who bought the Perfect Layers tool and it sits in a drawer. I tried it once and couldn’t figure it out. Your explanation makes sense and I can’t wait to try it again – I’m sure with more success now! THANKS!

18. Rachel says:

Ahhhhhh!! (screaming) thank you so much for posting your favorite tools! I have the perfect layers tools; I purchased them from QVC about 4 years ago. I loved them and used them a lot for scrapbooking…….I stopped scrapbooking and switched to card making and my poor little rulers have been neglected ever since! Thank you for sharing your tag tip!! That’s awesome! I am going to take them out of hiding today!
    And for the glue gun……I am purchasing some today! Love it love it love it!
    Thanks again!

19. leslierich says:

Your flower girl is adorable, Jerri! She’s perfect for your wedding ensemble. I can see how you just had to have her! Gosh, thank you for all the information about the tools you use, too. Your demonstration is so useful!