Feb 20 2009

Not My Style

Published by at 11:23 am under Challenges

But I like it!

Hi everyone, today is Friday and Friday over at Sharon Johnson’s blog, notimetostamp, is challenge day.  When I saw Sharon’s challenge today, ssnotime75, I thought this new paper I picked up at Michael’s a few days ago would be perfect.  The challenge is to use black ink only.  What!!!!  No water colors, no brush, can I do this?  Well I decided to give it a try and while this is so not my style, I’m happy with the card.  I would have preferred to use a red silk flower, but this is all I had in my stash.  You can’t tell from the picture, but the flowers on the background paper are black felt.  All that gorgeous texture is lost in the photograph.  I used May Arts black shear ribbon.  That really is a pretty bow, but because of the sheerness, it’s not showing up well in the picture.  Lesson learned, next time I’ll use grosgrain or twill.

black-ink-card-020-copy.jpg

The background panel was made with the large scallop Nestie and placed on dimensionals, the dimension is lost on the black paper in the photograph.  I really, really need to learn how to photograph my cards so that the dimension shows up in pictures.  I used a Spellbinders leaf die for the leaves.  The tag was made using SU’s window punch.  The sentiment is a stamp from A Muse.  To comply with the challenge, I used basic black ink from Stampin’ Up!   The butterfly was punch from a Martha Stewart punch and adhered to the tag.  I adhered black Kaiser pearls on the flower and the butterfly.  Super easy, fast quick card! The Nesties, Kaiser pearls, Zip Dry adhesive, and ribbon can be purchased at Joan’s Gardens.

black-ink-card-019-copy.jpg

This is the inside of the card.  I simply cut two strips of paper to 1/8″ and adhered using Zip Dry adhesive.  I then adhered the flower and leaves to punch up the inside a bit.

• Stamps:  A Muse
  • Paper:  Black Black, DCWV DP
  • Ink:  Basic Black
  • Accessories:  Nesties, Prima Flowers, Martha Stewart Punches, Kaiser Pearls, May Arts black sheer ribbon, Scor It, Zip Dry, SU window punch

27 Responses to “Not My Style”

1. Oh my goodness gracious — so NOT your style, but SO mine — I LOVE it!!! I am so glad you played along today – and what a gorgeous creation you made!!! Your flowers, leaves and bow are wonderful, and we can see the bow just perfectly!!! Love your little tag as well – what a fun, fun card!!! I hope you enjoyed making a more simple and quick card for a change!!! Thank you for playing!!!

2. WOW! Jerri, just lovely! Not your style or not -just FABULOUS! Hugs,

3. FANTASTIC!!! Love the splash of color and of course your layout style is always so impressive to me! GREAT card … I LOVE IT!!

4. cjmax says:

Saw your card on SCS……I love it…..beautifully done!
    Adding your blog to my favorites and can’t wait for the awesome wallet tutorial.

Wow Jerri, this is awesome. Maybe you have another style and don’t even know it, because this sure is beautiful. What a statement it makes. You go girl!!!!

Joan

It may not be your style, but it is very beautiful anyhow!! Love it, Jerri!!

7. Peggy Maier says:

Great job! Just see what you can do when you step out of your comfort zone! : )

8. Tosh says:

This is gorgeous Jerri!! Love the beautiful flowers against that awesome black bg!! WOW! This just shows how versatile you are! You just ooze talent girl!!

9. Elaine says:

They’re super! The striking color combos make them cheery but your creative composition makes them classic and pretty too!

This is perfectly striking, Jerri. It may not be your norm but it is gorgeous.

11. Renee Winch says:

It may not seem to be your style after seeing all of the beautiful cards you create, but I love it! Great job! Renee

12. Amy Sabol says:

It is gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing such a beautiful card!!! I absolutely love the variety of textures used in this from the felt flowers in the paper, the paper flowers and the sheer ribbon — they blend so well together! Keep up the wonderful creativity! ~Amy S.~

13. Truth be told, “beauty” is your style, Jerri, and this card falls easily into that category! I love what you did here. I am glad you explained the things that didn’t show up in the photo. You take beautiful photos too!

14. Sonya Appel says:

Jerri,

So Pretty! I like the color of the flower, but the red would have been striking! I will have to go to Michael’s and look for that paper so I can see the texture! Beautiful card. And your photo’s are great! I love the muted backgrounds.

15. rainy says:

Oh yay!! You can and DID do it girl!! This is fabulous!

Jerri, Just wonderful, and PLEASE… don’t use grossgrain or twill just for a photo LOL. I’m guessing the sheer is gorgeous IRL. I usde sheer a lot, and wouldn’t trade it for twill for anything!

This maybe so not your style, but it sure shows just how versatile you really are!

Hugs, Cathy

17. Silke Ledlow says:

Hi Jerri!!! Girl – you’ve done a fab job on this card!!! I love black and white cards with just a splash of color and this one is gorgeous – glad you went out of your comfy zone!!!

Jerri, this may not be your style, but it is gorgeous! I love how you did the inside as well. I know you love to color, but I love it!

19. leslierich says:

This is gorgeous, Jerri! It might be black ink, only, but it sure is a WOW card! Love the felted paper and your beautiful bow. I know everything shows up nicely IRL, and that’s what’s important. The inside is as wonderful as the outside!

20. Velta says:

I like it also…and it could not be prettier..a real Good Gracious moment…you have such talent…and I sooo enjoy your subscription :)

21. Anne Pask says:

Oh wow! Your ‘usual’ cards are soooo my style and I really love them, but this is awesomely stunning! I think it’s fabulous. Isn’t it fun to reach out of our style and see just what we can accomplish when we set our mind to it. Can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

Hugs, Anne.

22. Well, it may not be your style, Jerri…but it is GORGEOUS, girl!!! I don’t think you are capable of doing anything BUT gorgeous!

This looks gorgeous, Jerri….I love your new paper and what gorgeous flowers and leaves!!! I have never seen a Jerri Kay card that wasn’t absolutely FABULOUS!!! You are such an inspiration!!!

24. Becca Feeken says:

Wow, wow, wow!! Jeri, this is gorgeous!! I just chuckle when you say it’s not your style because you hit this one out of the ballpark!!

25. Rhonda Proseus says:

I think your work is amazing. I am just beginning to get started in card making and am getting very excited. Any tutorials or help you can send me would be much appreciated. Thanks so much for your caring attitude.

Rhonda