Feb 24 2009

Wallet Tutorial

This post almost didn’t make it ladies.  When I design the purses, luggage and wallets, I start out with a rough sketch of what I want and create pattern pieces similar to that of sewing a garment.  As I continue with the design, I usually make adjustments and alter several of the pattern pieces.  Usually by the time I’ve finished the design, the first template has so many alterations, it’s unusable for a tutorial; hence the need to re-create the pattern pieces.  I sat down Friday night and began work on a new template for this post.

Saturday, I cut pieces to make three more wallets and took these photos as I went along.  I apologize for the quality of these shots.  I don’t have sufficient lighting in my stamping room and I don’t have enough room to create an area for photo shoots using artificial lighting.

By Saturday evening I had completed the wallets and uploaded the pictures on my laptop to begin the process of editing in Photoshop, placing my watermark on them, and resizing them.  Sunday, after church, I moved the pictures into my blog.  Once there, I realized they were too small to see the writing on the template so I deleted them and went back to Photoshop and started the process all over again sizing the pictures large enough to see the writing on the template.  I then moved the pictures back to my blog only to discover that about 25% of the picture had run off into the right margin and couldn’t be seen.  So Sunday evening, I deleted everything once again and went back to Photoshop to resize the photos so that they would be large enough to see the writing, but small enough to fit within the margins.  No matter what size I made the pictures, they would not work.  By 11:00 p.m. Sunday night, tired and frustrated, I concluded it just wasn’t meant to be.

I had a full schedule Monday and wasn’t able to do anything stamping related.  Last night after dinner, I decided to give it one more try and uploaded the photographs onto my main computer instead of my laptop.  Spending an hour and half in Photoshop, I tested each picture one at a time and was able to get the photos a size that is readable and will fit within the parameters of my margins.  Success at last!

In the spirit of sharing, please remember that all content (including text, images, photographs, and designs) is copyright © Jerri Kay Jimenez.  My artwork is shared for your personal inspiration only and may not be copied for publication, contest entry, or personal financial gain.  Thank you.

It’s not necessary to know how to sew to make this wallet, but if you have sewing experience, you will find this project much easier.

daniels-wallet-card-004-copy.jpg

wallet-tutorial-002-copy.jpg

There are ten pieces to the wallet template. This picture gives the measurements and shows what the wallet should look like when sewn together.  The front of the wallet consists of three pieces which can be seen three pictures below.  All drawn lines are stitching lines.

wallet-tutorial-003-copy.jpg

This picture shows the measurements for the inside insert and the lining. Drawn lines are stitching lines.

wallet-tutorial-004-copy.jpg

These pieces are for the inside of the wallet, measurements are written on each piece.  Drawn lines are stitching lines.

wallet-tutorial-005-copy.jpg

These are the three pieces for the front of the wallet.

wallet-tutorial-006-copy.jpg

This picture shows the pieces of the inside insert, lining and pieces to be sewn together.

wallet-tutorial-007-copy.jpg

Using your JustRite rectangular stamper, spell out “Genuine Leather” with the small letters (see photo below).  Using a Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, center the words on one of the tan leather pieces measuring 4 1/2″ x 3″ using Stampin’ Up! Chocolate Chip Craft ink (die inks will not work on this paper).  Then stamp the name of the individual on the tan paper measuring 4 1/2″ x 2 (see picture above with pattern pieces).  Helpful Hint:  Heat set the craft ink being very careful not to burn the paper.

wallet-tutorial-008-copy.jpg

Helpful hint:  Leave your letters on this storage case for easy storing.  I mist the letters with water when I’m finished, using a toothbrush I gently clean them.  I use a tissue to absorb the “dirty” water and then place the letters back onto the black storage case they came in.

wallet-tutorial-011-copy.jpg

Place the three front pieces on grid paper, adhering the tan piece on the wrong side of the crocodile paper (here’s where sewing experience comes in, right side to wrong side, adhere with right side of the tan leather paper to the wrong side of the crocodile paper).  Your finished measurements will be 3 1/2″ x 9 3/4″.

wallet-tutorial-012-copy.jpg

Stitch around all edges of the pattern pieces as shown above.  For the piece with the name on it, sew across the tops of all three pieces, then stack them together and sew around all edges.  DO NOT sew around the edges first and then across the tops or you will not be able to use the slots to insert gift cards.

wallet-tutorial-014-copy.jpg

Take the lining piece (crocodile paper) and adhere it to the top of the wrong side of the front of the wallet.  This is needed to cover the top of the back of the paper.  The rest will be hidden once the pattern pieces are adhered on.

wallet-tutorial-015-copy.jpg

Fold the crocodile flap over the piece that says “Genuine Leather” and adhere on the back side.  On the back side of the pieces, place double sided tape on three sides (the sides and bottom).

wallet-tutorial-016-copy.jpg

Adhere the brown leather insert to the wrong side of the wallet front, leaving 1/16″ of an inch on the ends.

wallet-tutorial-017-copy.jpg

Now adhere the last two pieces to the brown leather insert, placing the piece with the crocodile flag on the left and placing the personalized piece on the right.  All of the pieces are functional, you can place dollar bills between the wallet front and the tan leather insert, and gift cards in the three slots on the right side.

wallet-tutorial-018-copy.jpg

Fold the wallet together forming the crease line.

daniels-wallet-card-008-copy.jpg

Inspiration for the wallet came from one I saw at Steinmart.  I was shopping for my son’s birthday and came across a wallet that I liked.  My son didn’t need a wallet, but I really liked this wallet.  A lightbulb went off in my head.  I opened it up and looked at the inside and thought, gee, I think I can do this, the wallet was just a plain old cowhide leather wallet.  When I got home, I went upstairs and went through my stash of designer papers and found the tan leather paper, then I came across the crocodile paper and decided to use both in the design.  I sat down and started drawing out rectangles and created the template.  It took a couple of hours to make the template and to get it all to fit together. It was a hit with my son and husband.

33 Responses to “Wallet Tutorial”

1. Cathy Green says:

You’re a real sweetheart! Thanks so much for working so hard to share your ideas with us! You are truly amazing. And I can’t wait to make these. Graduation is coming up and these would be great for guys!!! Cathy

2. Nancy says:

Thank you so much for sharing this, these are wonderful! They look so real. Wish the creative side of my brain worked like yours. :)

3. Carol R says:

Thank you for all your time and effort in sharing how you made this wonderful piece of art.

My goodness, Jerri…all that work you did to share with us!! Thank you so much!! You’re incredible….and I soooo LOVE these!!

5. Shel9999 says:

Fantastic tutorial, Jerri! I’m sorry you had so many issues, but it really is fabulous! :)

6. deb says:

Thank you for all of your hard and tedious work to make this fabulous tutorial available to us! I have searched and searched for the paper, but still haven’t found it, think it would also make a cute designer ‘purse’ Birthday card for a fashion-conscious niece:)
    Love your site!

7. Fabulous tutorial for a FABULOUS project!!! I know the long days this took to prepare and I thank you so much for persisting — thank you!!!

8. Jocelan Perry says:

Jerri ,Your tutorial is very clear,love it
    Thanks,Jocelan

9. Carolen says:

Just remember, all the new skill sets that you now possess! AND,
    thank you so much for persisting!

This wallet is bound to be a hit with anyone – and perfect for
    adding a couple of gift cards. Creative, inspirational and just
    plain amazing! Thank you!

10. Charlene says:

Wow..all that time certainly paid off. Your work speaks for itself…excellence. Thanks for sharing with us.

11. Kathy B says:

Your wallets are amazing! I saw your initial post and was just shocked to see that they were made of paper. It is interesting to read how you did it. Thank you for sharing.

Your wallets are wonderful and thank you so much for the tutorial. Hwat a pain it must have been to go through all that editing over and over again to publish the tutorial.

13. Jlynn says:

Thank you so much for taking your time to make this tutorial for your adoring fans. You are THE BEST!!!!!!

14. Janine says:

Thanks Jerri!! What a ton of work for you to do… I will give it a try soon!!

15. Neva says:

I love your wallets, have my paper ready to go! Just need the time to make one or maybe 3. Thank you so much for doing this for us!!
    Neva

Jerri, this is a fantastic tutorial! You certainly invested many hours for all of us and you explained everything so well. Great job and thank you so much!!!

Joan

17. Beth Norman says:

Awesome tutorial. TFS.

18. Willow says:

Thanks so much for having the tenacity to stick with it and get the tutorial done!!! I don’t think I would have been able to but then I would not have had such a creative idea!!! LOL…it is because of artists like you that make my crafting look so good!!! Thanks again!!

19. Carole says:

Hi Jerry
    You have worked a lot to do this great tutorial. Thank you very much for your patience and generosity!
    Have a nice day!

20. Lynn says:

Thank you Thank you Thank you, for all your work but the hassle was worth it
    I just can wait until I can find the time to make about 6 or them just in case I need one or two. You have a lot of great ideas and we really appreciate them to the max. Lynn

21. Thelma says:

Thank you so much Jerri for the tutorial. It really is fabulous. I look forward to your blog each day and I miss you when you are away. Thelma

OMG, Jerri, as usual, I’m in AWE. BTW, I still haven’t had a chance to reply to your last email…. death in the family, much going on etc., but I hope to get to it later tonight or tomorrow.

Hugs, Cathy W.

23. Oh Jerri, what a fabulous job you did! The projects and the tutorial. I know how much work goes into this…and it really is great!

You are so great at it all…the completely feminine and the rich masculine!

24. Vicky Gould says:

Oh,Jerri – first of all, I would never have been able to design something so perfectly, second, if I went through all that work and the photos didn’t work, I would have quit! I admire your stick-to-itness!!! The wallets are so real looking, but I would expect nothing less from you. What an artist you are. Thanks for sharing.

What an awesomeg tutorial, Jerri….you put sooo much work into these awesome wallet cards…thanks for sharing your amazing talent with us!!!!!

26. The artistry of this wallet is only surpassed by the stunning detail in revealing how you pulled off this miracle of design. I was lucky enough to have one of these made for me by Jerri Kay as a thank you gift for a company business dinner. I feel even more honored when I understand what went into its creation. I can’t bring myself to actually use it yet. I am too busy showing it off and telling the story of its creation. I think I shall keep in my personal “Hall of Fame” craft project favorites.

27. Becca Feeken says:

Jeri I am blown away by your wallet. It has intricate detail and your eye in replicating it is that of a pure genius!! Thank you so much for sharing each and every step – it’s so much work and it is sooooo appreciated!!

28. Sarah says:

Sarah

29. rainy says:

LOVE this Jerri. Thank you for the tutorial and the template. Oh yes and thank you for the cleaning tip for the little letters. Now how would you have ever come up with using a toothbrush!!! 😉 LOL

30. nancy littrell says:

Jerri, you did a great job with your design and tutorial. What a cool card for guys or girls that are receiving money for a gift. TFS printing and saving for a future project…..

31. dave says:

hey first of all your wallet looks great. i do have a question tho. is there any problem actually putting money in the wallet and folding it up? it seems like there would need to be some gap in the stitching to account for the added thickness of say 10 $1 dollar bills in order to fold correctly. please let me know! thanks

32. Greetings Jeri, what a wonderful tutorial. I made a wallet this morning and it turned out great thanks to your detailed tutorial. I did suede on the inside (I didn’t have a leather paper). It worked well other than I glued the suede instead of using double sided tape as I was afraid it wouldn’t hold. Thanks again!! Blessings, Sherrie