Apr 25 2009

A Beautiful Day!

wild-roses-052-copy_edited-1.jpg

Edited to Add:  The stencil can be purchased at A Touch of Grace – Paper Boutique.  Yesterday it was a gorgeous day here in Tampa, we had lots of  sunshine.  I took advantage of the sunlight and photographed some finished designs.  I mentioned in a previous post that we are having renovations made in our home and our bedroom, where I take all my photographs, is upside down.

I made this card for Mom for Mother’s Day.  The images are drawings she recently gave me that she drew some 26/27 years ago.  Mom used to paint on china and designed several pieces that I proudly display in my home.  You can imagine my excitement when she recently told me she had kept all of her drawings, paints, supplies, etc.   On Easter Sunday she and I went through a large box she had stored in the closet of my bedroom (my parents still live in the house I was raised in), we were like two little girls in a candy store!   Mom sent the box home with me so I have a hunch you’re going to be seeing a lot more of these lovely drawings.

Using tracing paper, I rearranged the flowers and leaves on this design to fit within the parameters of the embossing.  I then used graphite paper and transferred the drawings directly to the card stock after I embossed and did the cut out work.  I used a Pergamano mapping pen with a brass nib to draw over the graphite lines in gold ink.  Once dry, I used colored pencils to color the image.  The little butterflies were punched with a Fiskars punch.  Those adorable pink bows were a dream to make, I used May Arts 1/4″ silk that I purchased from the Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.

Editing to add if you would like a full size picture of the card, I would be happy to e-mail it to you, just leave a comment below and I’ll forward it on.

wild-roses-032-copy_edited-2.jpg

The Kaiser pearls I purchased at Joan’s Gardens are a very light pink, so pretty on this design.  The sentiment is from Verve’s Beautiful You stamp set.

wild-roses-025-copy_edited-2.jpg

To have the flowers facing each other on the end panels I simply turned the graphite paper over and traced from the reverse side.  I can’t wait to give Mom this card!

moms-china-002_edited-1.jpg

Here’s a picture I took of one of Mom’s pieces, isn’t it beautiful!  I treasure each and every piece she has given me.

Thanks for stopping by, I wish you and yours many blessings in the upcoming week!

89 Responses to “A Beautiful Day!”

1. Deb Hoekstra says:

A simply stunning card! I left a treat for you on my blog!

2. Becca Feeken says:

Oh my word girl. Your work is simply magical!! I am unable to do anything but drool over this Jerri! Way to go!!

3. Colleen says:

Beautiful card!! All your Mum’s drawings will be a great keepsake!
    Love her painting!

4. Pam Clay says:

Now we know where your talent comes from, don’t we?! Gorgeous card and beautiful vase!

5. Jerri, I am, once again, beyond words. I say it every time, but this time I’m sure — THIS is my favorite piece you have created!!! The beauty of your drawn floral images is beyond compare. I can imagine your delight at coming upon your Mom’s drawings — WHAT a special bond you two can share — something she did so long along, now you recreating with her drawings in a totally different art. This is totally breath-taking. I only wish I could see your Mom’s face when you give this to her!!!

6. WOW! This card is beyond stunning! How amazing that the flowers were drawn by your mother. AND thank you so much for posting a pic of the piece your mother made -just beautiful and delicate. Now I see where you get your amazing talent!!

7. Chris Kaplan says:

Jerry:

This is my first visit to your blog and I’m out of words, you are an artist girl, this card is just Awesome, your mom’s drawings are beautiful and the design of the card is totally WOW! congratulations.

Chris

8. Dealbaida says:

“Mom used to paint on china”!!!!!! Boy, I’ll say she did! Your Mother’s vase is simply exquisite, as, of course, is your beautiful Mother’s Day card. Lucky Mum! Lucky, lucky daughter!

More Mum please Jerri.

Marion,
    UK

9. Karen W says:

This is just beyond words, both the card and the vase are exquisite!!! Do you have a pattern you can share for the cut outs for this design of the card? I think you should have Flourishes made stamps from your Mom’s designs, they are just gorgeous!!

10. Teri COuture says:

Totally awesome! Your mom is quite an artist and you certainly take after her! Oh my – the beauty on your website!!

11. Carole says:

Hi Jerry
    As usual your card is so beautiful. Everything you make is always elegant. Have a nice sunday!

12. You are surrounded with beauty! Wow, you are so blessed and I am so happy for you that you have such a treasure of your Mom’s!~ And it is going full circle back to her in the form of the card you made. How truly special and wonderful it all is! Thanks for sharing it and for sharing the story behind it. Wow, stunning and beautiful, all of it!

13. Neva says:

This is so lovely!!! If ever I feel down about my life, I come here & look at your beauty & my spirits are lifted!! The world can not be all bad with this beauty in it!

14. evette says:

Fantastic designs….color, technique, emobossing, etc. Just wonderful. What a pleasure to have a mom so talented, you are indeed a lucky woman. Please continue to show us more & more of your cards please. Not only do they inspire but they give me such peace and pleasure to look at. TY ekc

15. E.T says:

this is absolutely gorgeous! Now we know that the talent runs in the family!

16. I see where you get your talent now. You and your mom are both so incredibly talented. I love the pinks in your project today…and those PERFECT pink bows are so pretty. I especially love the one with the butterfly accent.

17. Absolutely Stunning!! Both your and your Mom are very talented ladies. I am blown away with your card! What a wonderful keepsake for your Mom, knowing you used one of her sketches will touch her heart I am sure. Please extend my sincere comment to your Mom on her beautiful vase…it is so delicately done with such flowing colors…exquisite. I would love a tutorial on how you make your cutouts and embossing. Please check out my blog <a href=http:”//enchantedstamping.blogspot.com/2009/04/91st-birthday-gift.html” Here for my try at following your tutorial. Your are my inspiration and thank you.
    Hugs
    Heather

18. Oops here is the link <a href=”http://enchantedstamping.blogspot.com/2009/04/91st-birthday-gift.html”Here

Heather

19. Simply stunning Jerri! I am convinced that each piece you create is more beautiful than the last and this one proves my theory. Every detail of the card is just amazing from your very talented coloring skills to the cut work, pearls and butterfly and bow adornments, which are the absolute perfect finishing touch. Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us all. :O)

20. Joyce across the pond says:

It’s all been said before so I’ll just say:-

Like Mother, like daughter!

21. Conniecrafter says:

Looks like your mom passed down her talent to her daughter, you both do just Beautiful work, and I am sure that whoever is lucky enough to have one of your creations feels truly blessed!

22. Linda Bullard says:

Oh my goodness, Jerri! Not only is this an absolutely gorgeous piece of art, it’s also a family project. Talk about a labor of love! What a wonderful story. I see where you get your artistic talents. Your mother must be so proud and thrilled. TFS. Linda

23. Carolen says:

Incredible!

24. Althea says:

There is no denying from where your talent comes from, both from your mother and God. Another exquisitely beautiful example of your talent. My mother just died last week I wanted so much to make something special for her Mother’s Day card this year. I envy your opportunity to present this to your mother I know that she will be deeply touched. Yes, I would love a full size pic.

25. Peggy M says:

Hi Jerri – I am always in awe of your world and it’s such great inspiration to me. There’s an old saying… “The apple doesn’t fall from the tree”. You have certainly inherited a beautiful gift from your Mom. How special for both of you.

Best wishes, Peggy

26. Jill Haddad says:

Well it’s easy to see where you’ve gotten your talent! Your mother’s work is Gorgeous! I have a few questions if you wouldn’t mind emailing me –

1. How did you obtain the cutout effect on the “windows” without cutting them off the card?
    2. What product did you use to cut and emboss?
    3. Where did you purchase the Pergamano gold pen?
    4. How do you tie your bows so that the tails are BOTH behind the bow?

I’ve tried to use your method of gold emboss and pencils – I must tell you – NOTHING compares with a JeriKay original.

27. Jill Haddad says:

Oh – 1 more question. What does the card look like closed????

28. Dee Jackson says:

Wow!! This is the most gorgeous card I’ve ever seen!! Your work is always drop dead gorgeous!! What a wonderful gift for your mom.

29. Claribel says:

Hi Jerri:Your card is PRECIOSA, BELLA, ESPECTACULAR. Congratulations having a very talented mother: as mother as daughter. I would like a full size picture of your card. Happy mothers day to you and your mom from Puerto Rico.
    Claribel

30. Lenoria says:

Wow, this is gorgeous! I love the soft colors and all the details you have used. I read the great reviews from the many other talented crafters above and I honestly do no possess an iota of their talent, but I do still appreciate talent and beauty when I see it! I think your Mom is going to be very pleased and teary eyed when she gets this card.

31. Vickie says:

What a beautiful card it just took my breath away, Your mother is lucky to have such a talented daughter and you are lucky to have such a talented mother. You are both blessed.

32. Velta says:

Your mom is where you obviously got your talent Jerri…I just cannot get over how gorgeous this is…I know she will be thrilled to receive it…How do you do the embossing? It reminds me of Church doors…do you have a template and if so, can you tell be where it can be purchased?

33. L. Brown says:

What could I say that hasn’t already been said. It is a blessing to see such beautiful work. It was so sweet of your Mom to share her drawings with you. What a gift to receive from her! I would like to have a full size drawing. Thanks to you and your Mom for being willing to share her work. God bless you both!

34. Karen says:

What a gorgeous card! I would love to see a full sized version of it to really appreciate all the fine detail you created. Your work is so beautiful. Now I realize where you received your artistic talent from…your mom! Her work is simply breathtaking! Happy Mother’s Day to you both!

35. Sandy W says:

Wow! Your work is just breathtaking. I love what you do with the extended cards. Are the outside pieces hand done, stencils or stamped images? Just beautiful. If you could/would share the templates for those, would really appreciate it. Your work is so unique and awesome. Thanks for sharing.

36. Deb Saaranen says:

Just gorgeous Jerri! Your mother will absolutely cherish this! She is such a talented lady as well! Wow! Your work is always a pleasure to view– it makes me smile!

37. Rosie Waldt says:

What a talent you and your Mom have. Consider yourself very lucky you still have your Mom to share all the do’s and don’ts with each other. My mother died when I was 12 and I really miss that bond. I love roses, how beautiful, love the pink bows, and how did you dry emboss the cards? Your Mom will be most thrilled.

38. Elaine M. says:

I would love a picture of your card!!! It is beautiful!!!
    What did you use for the embossing? I HAVE to try making this one.
    Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
    Elaine Moore – mtn.moven.faith@comcast.net

39. Sandy K says:

You are so lucky to have a Mom so talented as she has passed it on to you! Your card is every bit as beautiful as the piece she designed. Your coloring is perfect. She will be so honored and proud to get your card. I believe anyone would. PERFECT in everyway down to the butterflies and bows!

Jerri, She’s going to adore it! And her vase looks like it could have been an authentic Theodore Haviland. Divine….

Cathy

41. Sue R says:

WOW! that is beautiful! I would love to know the same things that Jill Haddad (above) is asking. Your mother’s work is beautiful!
    I would also love a full size picture of the card and see it closed. Thanks for sharing :)
    Sue R
    rarinstamp@shaw.ca

42. Thelma says:

Once again Jerri, you have made an absolutely stunning card. I love those flowers. I too, would be interested in knowing how you embossed the card to make the cut work. Were your pencils water color pencils? Thanks again for sending this

43. Terri Jackson says:

Beautiful. Your percision and accuracy for detail is amazing!!

44. pinky says:

Jerri, I am so impressed w/this gorgeous card! Every card you make seems to get better if that is possible. I now see where you get all your artistic talent…your mom was an excellent painter and I can only imagine how you treasure all her beautiful pieces. I love all the details to this card and know it is a labor of love for sure, and I know your mom is going to be thrilled when she opens it and will want to display it because it is so beautiful!

45. Sarah says:

I am in awe of all of your work. Thank you so much for sharing.

46. Julie says:

Jerri, This is so beautiful. My mouth fell open in awe. I look everyday to see if you have done something new. It really make me happy all over to look at your work.
    Thanks for sharing.

47. Dawn B. says:

Jerri she is going to love this. Now I see where you get all your talents. This is the most amazing card I have ever seen and so special that it was your mom’s drawing. So special. I miss my mom… You are so blessed. TFS

48. Bertha W says:

I love the Mother’s Day card that you did. Is the embossing an Anna Griffith stencil? Can you tell me where you bought it? I noticed that you said “stampfest” but I am not familiar with that. Your other cards are just as beautiful – do you always add dry embossing?

49. Becky says:

Jerri, you most certainly have a gift and I love, love, love your work. Please could I ask a favor, I cannot tie bows, I always end up with one tail always in front, no matter which technique I use to tie them, I guess I have two left hands, lol, could you email me and teach me how to tie the stunning bows you make. I would be so grateful. Thank you so much!

50. Lori M says:

Oh my, I have just start to China paint and I love it! You have done a beautiful job in re-creating your mother’s pattern to work with your cards. Looks like a Sonie Ames pattern . . . am I right? I too would like to know what stencil you used and am looking forward to trying this out my self. Thx for the inspiration

Please keep us post on how Mel Smith is doing as I will continue to pray for her and her family as the Lord leads.

51. Jerri, Now we know where your talent and creativity comes from. How beautiful, you and your mom spending time together with something you both enjoy! Your mom’s piece is gorgeous and so is your card!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

52. Diane M says:

Jerri, this is just an incredibly beautiful card, your mom will love it. I, too, would love to see the full card, and see also what it looks like closed. Your artwork is just amazing. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Diane
    willowbay@shaw.ca

53. Teri Frank says:

Would love to know the stencils you’ve been using for cutting and embossing on the last couple of cards! They’re simply stunning!

Teri

I love the soft, feminine colors of this, your perfect coloring, and pearl placement!! I love all of your butterflies and perfect bows as well!! Stunning creation, Jerri!

55. Silke Ledlow says:

OMG – Jerri!!! This is once again a masterpiece!!! Absolutely amazing!!! Every detail is just fab!!! Your rock – GF!!!!

56. Suze says:

Jerri…once again I am in complete awe and I’ll have to remember to give you another link on my blog first chance I get….I’ll also say prayers for the mom who is in critical condition. Have a great sunny day.

57. Vicky Gould says:

Oh, Jerri – your mom will cherish this forever! What an amazing card. Such attention to detail. Your mom’s work is amazing also – I see where you got your talent. FABULOUS!

58. Rebekka says:

Absolutely stunning, and I can see you have a lot of your mother in you :).

59. Valerie says:

Wow! When I see a new card of yours I think “this is my favorite”. The reality is I simply LOVE your work. You are very artistic and now I know where you get it from. The card and the vase are treasures to be cherished for years to come.

I do have one question. It might seem dumb but I am learning card making on my own so have no one else to ask. It is about the embossing…do you use a template? All I’ve seen are templates for Cuttlebug and haven’t seen anything like the embossing on your card(s). I would love to try to make a card (no even remotley like this) but I’d like to try…

60. Kathryn says:

Wow! so nice to share this with your mother. I’m sure she is going to love it.

61. Shirley says:

This card is just beautiful you are quite an artist. But more beautiful than your card was you saying how you and your Mom went through the box of treasures and laughed and giggled together. That evoked memories of my Mother for me so you card was a gift to your mother but also a gift to a stranger. Thank you…

62. Michelle R says:

Amazing….utterly amazing!!! Every detail is so perfect. And there is A LOT of detail! You are so very talented! And now I know that you got it honestly. Your mother’s vase is simply beautiful!

63. Nadine says:

Oh Jerri! I simply gasp everytime I check your blog for your latest creation. And your Mom’s work is stunning! You are so lucky to have inherited her wonderful talent for art and color!

64. Amy Sheffer says:

Oh my goodness, Jerri, your work leaves me speechless every single time! You are AMAZING!!!!

65. JILL S says:

Such talented ladies! These pieces are amazing. Your Mum certainly is an incredibly talented artist her flowers are amazing – I’m sure I have never seen better. Her work compares with any professional and you’re in that league too with what you have done with the originals – truly fanastic! TFS!

66. Mary Roberson says:

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful tribute to your mom!
    I know she will absolutely love it! This card is breathtaking:)

67. stella says:

Jerri , first of all my prayers are with the young mother. This is my first time to your blog and I am just amazed!
    God has blessed both you and your mother with such great talent. I would also love a picture of your card and also all of the answers to the questions posed earlier.
    It is truly ond of the most beautiful cards I have ever seen. stella:-)

68. Shel9999 says:

Wow, Jerri….I don’t know what to say. This is stunning! BOTH are stunning! We now know where you get your talent! That vase is just breath-taking.

69. Starla(star) says:

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!! The card is just STUNNING!! and your mother’s vase is GORGEOUS!! Talent runs strong in your family!

What a gorgeous card and sooo special with your Mother’s drawings….I am always so speechless when it comes to your designs, Jerri…words just can’t express the awe and respect I have for you and your talent…you are one of a kind, girlfriend!!!

71. Nancy says:

This is stunning. How did you emboss and cut out the base of the card. Your mom will treasure this forrver.

72. bronih says:

OH my word, Jerri! Exquisite beyond words…your card and your mom’s work! Wow!

73. Kim says:

Your card is just breathtaking! Thanks for posting the pictures while in the midst of remodeling! I would love and appreciate a full size picture. Happy mother’s day to you and your mom.

74. Oh Jerri, you are a true artist! What a stunning piece…and I can see where you get it from. What a treasure to have your mom’s works with you – and to beable to use them and enjoy them!

Such lovely soft colors and beautiful details!

75. Laurie in MN says:

I admire your Mother’s artwork. You are so fortunate to have a Mom who is so talented and through her love of painting, taught you to take time for yourself, to do something you love.

I hope you showcase your Mothers’ drawings and painted china.

76. Beth Norman says:

So that’s where you get your talent. Not only is your card drop dead gorgeous, your mom’s vase is too. How special that you used your mom’s drawing for your card. What do you use to cut and emboss the shape of your card. I’d like to try one.

77. leslierich says:

Oh, my, Jerri!!! Your Mom must be so proud of you — and you of her! This will please her like nothing else ever could, I imagine. No words are adequate to describe the beauty of either piece — your’s, or your Mom’s incredible vase. I’ve been meaning to share some of Mom’s artwork on my blog, too. She painted on myrtlewood — gorgeous!

78. DEE says:

Your cards are simply gorgeous! You are a very very talented person. Your mother will be so pleased/proud.

79. Lenoria says:

I would love to have a full size copy of your gorgeous card. It is so beautiful! My email address is lenoriakelly@att.net. Thank you so much!!

80. Anne P says:

Hi Jerri,
    It’s good to have you back again :) You and your mother share a wonderful talent – your work is exquisite and I do love your latest card. Thank you for sharing the piece your mother made for you as well. Every time you post a new project I think that it can’t get any better – but it always does. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Hugs, Anne.

81. Carol F says:

You definitely inherited your talents from your mother. Beautiful vase and as always beautiful cards. Thank you for sharing your gift. Could you please tell me where you get the embossing templates for your cards?

Thank you!

82. shirley henry says:

WOW! Another stunning card! I also love your mom`s vase painting.
    Was wondering if you could share how you did the card shape..is it a template?
    Thanks for sharing all your wonderful creations..I will be back tpo see more!

83. Danielle says:

I am just in awe of your fabulous work on this…and all of your cards! This is so intricate and delicate and soft and pretty and elegant…oh I could go on! Jerri-stunning work!

84. Debbie Olson says:

Oh, Jerri–such beauty! You are a true artist. . .

85. Lin Stanley says:

Drop dead Gorgeous!!!!
    Lin

86. Edna says:

It is wordless to say! just want to let you know, it is more than word could ever tell how wonderful it is. I love you panels you used recently. They are perfectly melted into your creation.

87. Jerri, this is just so……..heartwarming. beautiful!

88. […] blog may be familiar with the design of this card.  It’s the same layout that I did with the Mother’s Day card I made a year-and-a-half ago using this stencil.  I made four different flowers on […]

89. Heather peel says:

well .JeriNeedless to say ,i cant get anything done for browsing ,and daydreaming ,about your work .this card is so beautiful .I love the idea of using the shapes of the brass stencils as your card bases. Great .Now i know where your superb talent comes from .Your Mum.Her Paintings are just awesome .wow ,cant wait to go back and look more.im going through all your archives bit by bit .Taking in the wonderful work you do .im so pleased and honoured to have found your site .dont think ill ever need to look anywhere ever again .Love every single item youve made .Thank you so much .hugs n luv Heather