Jun 22 2009

Stencilled Blueberry Cobbler

blueberry-ensemble-part-3-002-copy.jpg

Summer is here and in full swing in sunny (hot and humid) Florida .   .   . LOL!  I love the idea of making a recipe card and thought with the 4th of July coming up, this would be a perfect opportunity to share a recipe that’s perfect for the upcoming holiday and always a summer time hit with my family. I made this recipe card set for the Stamp Simply Summer Recipes challenge featured on Sharon’s blog.  The challenge is to make a card or recipe card to share with others.
     I love cobblers, especially blueberry and cherry.  I pulled a favorite recipe and designed this ensemble using a stencil from A Touch of Grace – Paper Boutique

My uncle’s blueberries grow on a fence, which gave me the idea to create a lattice frame using this stencil.  I embossed two panels, cut them out with a craft knife, and adhered them to the front of my card on either side of the blueberry drawing.  To have the images facing each other I simply embossed one panel, flipped the stencil over and embossed a second panel.

blueberry-ensemble-001-copy_edited-1.jpg

A close up of the card showing the embossing detail and cut work.  I used a craft knife for the cutting and adhered the darker blue paper behind some of the cutout work in the scrolls.  The blueberries were drawn directly onto the embossing paper and colored with colored pencils.  I used a mapping pen and gold Tinta ink to cover the graphite lines of the drawing.  The butterflies and blueberries at the top of the photo and on the lattice were applied with Perga Kit 3D adhesive.  Perga Kit works like using dimensionals or foam dots, only it dries clear and is barely noticeable – no more visible white foam on my cards!

blueberry-ensemble-part-3-001-copy_edited-1.jpg

A close up of the recipe card that will go inside the card when it’s mailed.  I used my computer to print the recipe on the embossing paper.  Although it appears black in this photo, the recipe is in dark blue ink.  A Krylon 18K Gold Leaf pen was used on the edges of the card and recipe card.  Blending stumps were used to blend the colors.  When using blending stumps, remember to sand the color off your blending stump with a sanding paddle when changing colors so that you don’t accidentally lay a color on top of another color you don’t want contaminated.

Shopping info A Touch of Grace – Paper Boutique Lacy Fence Stencil – EH1857, Embossing Paper, Pergamano Tinta Gold, Tracing Pen, light box, 18K Gold Krylon pen, PergaKit 3D Adhesive, Caran d’Ache colored pencils, Removable Tape, Zip Dry adhesive, sanding paddle, blending stumps, parchment paper, Perga Soft, craft knife, stylus/embosser, Joy! Foam Pads

Stamp Simply Ribbon Store – Bow Easy, dark blue Taffeta ribbon

Thanks for stopping by, I truly appreciate your visiting my blog.

50 Responses to “Stencilled Blueberry Cobbler”

1. Elaine says:

AMAZING and gorgeous! I just love your detail and coloring!!!

2. Sandra says:

stunning – just stunning!
    Sandra

3. Jerri, you truly amaze me! This is beyond words! I am gonna try those stencils & that recipe!

4. jojot says:

absolutely awe inspiring……my jaw is still on the floor…..do you actually mean that you cut out each square opening with a knife??? Holy cow!!!!

5. Just beautiful Jerri!! I hope your store is doing well! Hugs to you,

Wow, this is so gorgeous! I love the lattice combined with the blueberries; it’s perfect!

7. Michelle R says:

Just gorgeous! I have never seen a more elegant recipe card! Such intricate detail, and you do it SO well! :-)

8. Peggy Maier says:

Simply gorgeous!!!!

9. mdcash says:

Jerri,

I am in awe at the beauty in this card and recipe. Please tell me that you are designing for a stamp company and we will all have the chance to stamp in Jerri Kay style!

10. Jennifer says:

OH.MY.WORD!!! Absolutely stunning.

11. Joyce across the pond says:

Beautiful Jerri….just wonderful….as to the recipe….well, when you mention suite….do you mean suet? Would love to make this recipe but want that ingredient clarified….when convenient, no hurry. Great to see you back on the blog again and inspiring us.

12. Beth Norman says:

Hi Jerri,

Such a pretty set, and a nice story to go with it. I used to make homemade jam when I lived out east on Prince Edward Island as the Island was famous for its blueberries. The secret ingredient was cinammon of all things. Your set is truly stunning. Will try to get working on my kit this weekend.

Hugs,

Beth

Gorgeous, Jerri. The blueberry images are gorgeous and I adore your recipe card. You must hop over and read Sherry’s blog post yesterday. http://sherrycheever.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/2009/06/22/worth-waiting-for/ She talks about our whole Rubbernecker team getting the Tombow markers because of our hope to paint like you with them. It is so cute.

OMG! Send me a recipe – any recipe! How beautiful! I would frame it for sure! What is white suite?

15. Wow, as always, my reaction is wow. Beautiful, outstanding. I love your drawn blue berries, they look so real! I love to pick them wild here where I live, but always with a buddy cuz you never know when you’ll see a bear… and one that might argue over whose berries they are! lol
    Yes, please tell us what “suite” is? when you get a chance!
    hugs, Crissy

16. Aaawww … so beautiful! I just love your creations! This is so clean and fresh looking and the recipe sounds wonderful! You are truly an artistic inspiration to us all!

17. Lori M says:

Jerri

This new post was so worth the wait . . . the detail is awesome!
    You have inspired me not to give up on my kraft knife ablilites.

Thx

Jerri, this is absolutely gorgeous! Your attention to detail is amazing and I cannot imagine how long this must have taken you. I would like to be a little invisible person in your stamping room to watch you do all your techniques! It would be so much fun to be there and soak it all in… gf!

OMG, both the card AND the recipe are fabulous!!! Just love it!

Cathy

PS….. on my computer, the lettering clearly looks dark blue, not black, same coloring as the butterflies and background. It’s truly lovely! And those blueberries are right out of my DH’s blueberry grove!

21. Lovely Jerri!!

Take care and STAY POSITIVE!

22. Jill says:

As always Jerri – this is stunning! You are going to have to consider marketing your drawings as rubber stamps because when I see one of your lovely images I’m always looking for the rubber stamp manufacturer only to find out it’s a Jerri Kay original.

23. rainy says:

Breath-taking as always, Jerri!! I would have to put the gorgeous creation of a recipe card in a plastic sleeve, however, before it would ever see my kitchen! With the way I cook… well let’s just leave it with it needing a plastic sleeve! lol

24. Naomi says:

OMG!!!! So gorgeous! That’s the best card I’ve seen in a long time. You are one talented lady.

25. Silke Ledlow says:

Fabulous creations – Jerri!!! I love the idea of receipe cards too, but I never get around making them….sad story – LOL!!! Yours really turned out amazing!!!

Enjoy the hot weather…..Hugs ~S~

26. wendy says:

WOW WOW WOW how stunning is this card,so crisp and clean I love it Jerri

Wendy x

27. sharon bond says:

What are the directions to mix the blueberry cobbler? Your card is beautiful.

28. Jenny Gropp says:

Stunning as usual and always! Your intricate and delicate cut work is beyond my patience level! The result is amazing.

29. Amy Johnson says:

Unbelieveable! How many hours do you spend working on one project? I can’t believe you cut that lattice out with a craft knife! I can’t do anything with a craft knife. I can’t even cut a straight line with a craft knife. Do you have some sort of ‘special craft knife’? I just have an exacto knife. Is that what you used? I just love everything you did. The hand drawn blueberries are gorgeous! The butterflies, ribbon, and charm are the perfect touch! Beautiful work as always!

30. Conniecrafter says:

So sweet, love these colors!

31. Wow! Jerri your work is so fantastic! You must have spent hours cutting out that lattice and it looks so wonderful and perfect.
    Hugs
    Heather

32. Sandy Knecht says:

Your cards are so unique and beautiful. Who wouldn’t want to get one from you.

Jerri, Oh my goodness is right! Your recipe card is absolutely gorgeous! It certainly would need to be framed! Stunning is right word for it. Wow!

Joan

34. Janine says:

Hi Jerri

Your work is gorgeous as ever!!! I hope your store does well.. I am off to check it out now!
    Have a great weekend.

35. kim says:

I can’t remember how I ended up finding your blog but boy am I glad I did. My jaw is on the floor looking at your incredible creations. Beyond gorgeous!

36. This is absolutely beautiful! Sorry I haven’t been around but I hurt my wrist and lost the use of my left thumb, mostly. I think it is a permanent injury but therapy will tell the tale… So haven’t been able to type. I have been able to make cards and have been with the group making cards with the wonderful things you sent to us…You were so generous and kind to send so many great things and you can know that the people on the receiving end will be the real winners. Making the cards brings such joy for us too. Thanks again for your generosity. No good deed goes unrewarded…and it’s so true. God bless..

37. This is without a doubt THE most gorgeous recipe card on the face of the earth — LOL!! I’m with rainy on needing a plastic sleeve — or maybe it would serve better to be framed behind glass and hung on the wall — truly a work of art!

38. Shirley says:

Outstanding and so elegant as always!!! I have this stencil on my want list. Wow~Jerrie~! You never cease to amaze with your lovely creations.

39. Tosh says:

Absolutely stunning Jerri!! Your details are beyond fabulous!! Each one of your creations is a work of art!!!

40. You have GOT to be kidding me! This is a STUNNING recipe card, Jerri!!!!!! I don’t think I’ve ever said that sentence before in my whole life…haha! I love the lattice and blueberries are my fave; so I’m gonna have to make your blueberry cobbler too! :) Everything you do knocks my socks off! You are in a class of your own…incredible!

41. Deb Saaranen says:

Just beautiful Jerri! Your blueberries look absolutely delicious! Wowzers!

42. Carolen says:

Speechless!

43. Thelma says:

Wow Jerri, this gives a whole new dimension to sharing one’s recipes! What a stunning card. I love how you put the navy under the cutout portions.

44. Paula says:

This is soooooooo beautiful! There is so much time and work into this inspiring work of art!

45. Becca Feeken says:

Ooooo Jerri, this is dazzlingly beautiful!! I agree, each of our pieces is a work of art!!

46. Becca Feeken says:

Oops, my crazy fingers just don’t work right, I made a typo in my above comment. I was saying that each of YOUR pieces is a work of art!!

47. leslierich says:

Gorgeous stuff, Jerri! Oh, Heaven forbid anyone should ever splatter blueberry juice on that incredible recipe card. You mentioned a while back that you were wanting to start art lessons of some kind…maybe drawing or watercoloring, I believe. Did you have any idea you’d be this good a it? Oh, my word! Incredible!

This has to be the absolute prettiest recipe card I have ever seen, Jerri!! So very beautiful, girl!!