Aug 13 2009

Stencil Embossing Tutorial And Paper Tole Birthday Card

Hi everyone,

Sorry to have been gone for so long.  We were on vacation for nine days in July, I returned home for a day and then headed over to Orlando and spent a week at CHA; and last week I traveled to my parents’ home and spent a week with them.  I’m back at home and will try to get in another post before I leave for Nashville next Friday to help my son get settled back in at school. Where did the summer go?

I’m excited to be a part of the Stamp Simply 100th Challenge Birthday Celebration.  I have prepared for you a stencil embossing tutorial utilizing a light box below, as well as a paper tole birthday card.  At the bottom of this post you’ll find shopping links to A Touch of Grace – Paper Boutique for the stencils and products I used for the birthday card and the tutorial card.  You’ll also find links to all the other designers that are participating in the celebration.  Be sure to check out all the wonderful projects the ladies are sharing, you won’t be disappointed!

lavender-tole-roses-2-041-copy.jpg

Inspiration for my birthday card came from a Kubla Crafts photo frame shown below:

lavender-tole-roses-3-006_edited-1.jpg

A close up of the toled flowers.

lavender-tole-roses-3-014-copy.jpg

The focal image was hand drawn, painted and paper toled.

In celebration of the 100th Stamp Simply challenge I’ve put together a stencil embossing tutorial for you.

For successful embossing it’s important that you use a paper that is not too thin or too thick.  I have found a paper that I feel is perfect for embossing that is for sale in my store, A Touch of Grace – Paper Boutique.  The stencil I have chosen for this design can be hand embossed or run through a die cutter.  When I run my stencils through a die cutting machine, the Wizard by Spellbinders is my die cutter of choice.  For purposes of this tutorial, the design is hand embossed using a light box, a stylus, and Perga Soft wax (an oil free wax manufactured by Pergamano, especially formulated for hand embossing).

I recommend before you begin embossing this design that you practice on inexpensive cardstock until you have the hang of it.  Begin by using light pressure to stretch your paper, if you use too much pressure, you may tear or pearce through your paper.  Go back over the area you’ve embossed a second time using more pressure for best results.

In this design embossing is done on the back side of the paper; pay careful attention to how the stencil is placed on the light box.  If placed in the wrong direction, your embossing will be the reverse of what you want it to be when you turn your paper over.  Use your stylus to trace the outline of the portion of the stencil you are embossing and not the center, this results in a nice raised section.  If you rub the entire area with your stylus, the result will not be as smooth and elegant.

I recommend that you change the blade on your craft knife every time you start a new card if you’re doing a lot of cut work.  Blades are inexpensive; it’s better to toss a questionable blade than to ruin a beautifully embossed piece that you’ve worked several minutes on.  Work in a well lighted room; natural light is the most desirable.  I use an OTT lamp when working at night.

1.jpg

Embossing tools needed for embossing.

2.jpg

Perga Soft (oil free embossing wax)

3.jpg

Place stencil down on light box as shown in picture. Tape down with removable tape so that stencil doesn’t move while embossing.  Grid paper assures that your stencil is perfectly straight.

41.jpg

Lay your cardstock (embossing paper) down on the stencil as shown and emboss.  I embossed only a portion of the stencil in the center panel of the design.

5.jpg

Remove tape, turn embossed panel over, right side up, the embossing should be on the lower right corner as shown.

6.jpg

Turn stencil over and tape it back down to light box facing the opposite direction that you just embossed.

7.jpg

Place your cardstock (embossing paper) down on the stencil as shown, embossing only a portion of the stencil as you did above in the center panel.

8.jpg

Turn paper over, right side up, the embossed designs should be on the upper left and lower right corners of the center panel.

91.jpg

Tape stencil to light box as shown.  Remember, you’re working on the reverse side. Place paper down over the stencil, right side down, as shown in the picture and emboss the entire stencil.

10.jpg

Turn the paper over, your design should look as shown in the illustration above.

11.jpg

Turn the stencil over in the opposite direction and tape down to the light box.  Place your paper down over the stencil, right side down, and emboss the entire stencil, as shown in the illustration.

12.jpg

Turn your paper over, right side facing up.  The embossing is complete and should look like the illustration above.

13.jpg

Place the stencil down on the paper, right side facing up.  On the left panel lightly trace (using a mechanical pencil) inside the lines that you will be cutting as shown on the left side of the paper. These lines are guidelines for cutting.

14.jpg

After tracing all areas to be cut, place your embossed design on a cutting mat; using a craft knife with a new cutting blade, cut just outside the traced lines. When finished, your design should look like the picture above.  The cutting will take you approximately 5 to 10 minutes, according to skill level.

15.jpg

Place your stencil over the left and right arches (you’ll need to flip the stencil over to fit the embossed pattern on the right side) and trace around the outside edges with a mechanical pencil.  Using a craft knife cut inside the pencil lines.  If you have any pencil marks left on the paper, gently erase them being careful not to damage the tooth of the paper.  The embossing and cutting is complete.

16.jpg

I traced drawings onto parchment paper using a mechanical pencil.

17.jpg

The traced drawings were transferred to the embossing paper by using the stylus.  Do not use too much pressure as you don’t want any debossed lines on your paper.

18.jpg

Using Gold Tinta Ink and a mapping pen I drew over the transferred image.

19.jpg

The gold mapping is complete and dry.  Any visible graphite lines can be removed with a soft, putty like, erasure.

20.jpg

Using colored pencils, I colored the images.  Tools needed for this technique are blending stumps, a sanding paddle, and Gamsol or odorless turpentine.

21.jpg

Trace around the outside edges of the stencil on two pieces of pink cardstock and cut out.

22.jpg

Illustration of cut pieces.

23.jpg

Two small pieces of pink paper were cut to cover the cut out portions of the center panel.

24.jpg

A gold Krylon pen was used to outline the black panel.  Hold the tip so that it touches the edge of the cardstock, the tip retracts giving you control of the ink flow.

251.jpg

Draw lines around all four corners of the black and pink cardstock.

26.jpg

Adhere panels together and attach a card holder.

wild_roses_052_copy.jpg

You’ll want to add your embellishments (ribbon, pearls, punched butterflies) and a sentiment before adhering the panels together.

Supplies for the Birthday card:

Stencil:  Anja Style Stencil Frame (FE6122), embossing paper (Carnation White, Heather), Swarovski crystals, Gold Tinta Ink, mapping pen, Perga Soft wax, sanding paddle, stylus, Zip Dry adhesive, removable tape, grid paper, Fancy Crafts flower punch, glitter, Happy Birthday Gold Sticker, ribbon, craft knife, light box, cutting mat, colored pencils, mechanical pencil, Bow Easy, Spellbinders die, deckle scissors, Scor It, craft knife, MS punch, crystal lacquer, Yes adhesive, Quickie Glue Pen

Supplies for Tutorial card:

Stencil:  Luxe Labels stencil (AS0703) , parchment paper, embossing paper (light pink, black, carnation white), card holder, Gold Tinta Ink, mapping pen, Perga Soft wax, pearls, Krylon 18K Gold Leaf pen, blending stumps, sanding paddle, stylus, Zip Dry adhesive, removable tape, grid paper, Marvy butterfly punch, glitter, Verve sentiment stamp, ribbon, craft knife, light box, cutting mat, colored pencils, mechanical pencil, Scor It, MS punch, Quickie Glue Pen, Bow Easy

I hope you find this tutorial helpful.

You’ll want to visit these blogs to see what all the girls have come up with for the birthday celebration:

1.      Pat Adam – Christmas Gift Tags with BLOG CANDY

14.  Rose Ann– Birthday Card with BLOG CANDY

15.  Leslie – Gift Tin of Soaps with Coordinating Card

16.  Heather – Birthday Card

17.  Sabrina– Birthday Card with BLOG CANDY

18.  Sharon– Monogrammed Birthday Gift Set with BLOG CANDY

Many Blessings,

55 Responses to “Stencil Embossing Tutorial And Paper Tole Birthday Card”

1. Oh my goodness gracious! It’s like time stood still while I was totally mesmerized staring at your creation. Your talent NEVER ceases to amaze me. This piece, like all you do, needs to be framed and displayed. Your talent is beyond compare!!! I am in total AWE time, and time, and time again!!! And congrats! on that FAB and thorough tutorial — job well done!!!

2. Oh my goodness, Jerri!!!! This must be the most elegant and beautiful card I have ever seen. This is a piece of ART!!!! Wow!

3. Swedie says:

A very elegant card, and it’s obvious you put a lot of effort into it! Thanks for the tutorial.

Swedie

4. Nena says:

What a blessing to see this wonderful creation. Thank you so much. I must
    have some of those very special embossing stencils. This however is just
    breath taking!

5. […] More here: A Touch of Grace » Stencil Embossing Tutorial And Paper Tole … […]

6. Karen W says:

Absolutley stunning card, I have this set and need to get busy trying this. Thanks again for the tutorial.

7. Nancy J says:

Another beautiful and elegant card! What a great tutorial, too! You make it look so easy! I am ashamed to say that I haven’t started on the kit I purchased from you but I am looking forward to doing it someday. :)

8. Liz Williams says:

Amazing, just totally amazing! This looks like fine costume jewelry attached to a card. I just adore your work.

9. Beth Norman says:

Another beautiful card. Great tutorial too! I finally finished my kit and posted my card this week.

Oh my goodness Jerri, you have done it again! This is just beyond words. Absolutely stunning. The flowers look like porcelain. Thanks for the great tutorial too. You are a true artist!!!!! This is another beautiful master piece!

Joan

11. Janine says:

Fabulous Jerri!! Thanks for all the information.. I am definitely trying this one!!
    Have a great weekend.

12. Silke Ledlow says:

Holy smokes – Jerry!!! This is absolutely stunning – GF!!! I know you put so much effort and love into your cards and it truly shows!!!

I missed ya!!! Glad you are back and I’m happy to hear you had a fun summer!!! Hugs ~S~

13. Carla (cmsuto) says:

OMGosh, Jerri! Both of your projects are stunning beyond words! Thanks for the detailed tutorial and for sharing your incredible artistic talent!

14. Julie says:

Oh!! my what does one say when something is so beautiful? I am amazed every time you do something new. Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful cards and tutorials with us. You are one amazing lady.

15. ValerieC says:

I am SPEECHLESS!! Sort of! Your card is BEYOND beautiful! I really can’t tell you enough how much I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Pat Adam says:

How equistite! Totally gorgeous work and that of a very talented artist. Incredible work always. TFS your work with us. Pat

17. StampinCathy says:

This is just PRICELESS and so inspiring. WOW all the love you add to your cards are just unbelievable. Thanks so much for this amazing tutorial. I just love your creative style.

18. Beautiful cards. TFS

Robbie

19. You’re in a league all your own, Jerri. Even with this excellent tutorial, most people just gawk in amazement and wonder at what you do! You are an extraordinary artist my girl!!!

20. Jeanette Pullum says:

This is gorgerous!! You are using the talent that God has given you to do beautiful work. So glad I found your blog. Jeanette

21. Cathy Hughes says:

Thank you for the tutorial. I saw this card when you first posted it and it blew me away! Your talent is so inspiring and so very much appreciated when you share it with us.

22. Deb Saaranen says:

Amazing, over the top gorgeous Jerri! Thanks for the tutorial–your embossing is so elegant!

Glad that you’re having a great summer!

Jerri, what can I add to all the above comments??? You never cease to amaze me and I could not even begin to create something so gorgeous as your cards! I do not have the patience which I know it takes to create your cards…truly inspiring and beautiful! Congrats on such a gorgeous work of art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Darlene says:

Jerri thank you for this wonderful tutorial. Your “project” is truly gorgeous.
    The paper tole birthday at the beginning of this post is absolutely stunning. Your works of art are amazing. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.

25. Lori M says:

Jerri
    I can’t express the emotion . . . I, I can’t find the right words . . . It is such a joy to visit your site and see your next creation. The excitement and inspiration has just made my day and will carry me through to your next masterpiece!
    Continued Blessings

26. Cat Spicer says:

Wow. Seriously. W~O~W.

27. Carolen says:

WOW!!! It never even occured to occur to
    me that tags could be used that way! And,
    I nearly ordered it when I placed my order
    recently!

Thanks for taking the time to put together
    this amazing tutorial! I really appreciate it!

28. Carol L says:

THUD!!!! {picking myself up off the floor now} Oh My Goodness, your birthday card is simply magnificent! A true work of art!! I could never imagine myself creating something so exquisite, but I do thank you for the easy-to-follow detailed tutorial! Both cards are wonderful, but I can’t seem to stop staring at the birthday card! You are one seriously gifted artist!!!

29. Toni Storie says:

Oh my word, that is beautiful! I don’t know if I have the patience or talent to create something like that!

30. Cherie says:

OMG! Your card is awesome, stunning and totally striking. I can hardly stop looking at it! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful talents with all of us! Keep up the fabulous work!

Cherie

31. sharon says:

Jerri
    I used to paint on wood. The flowers remind me of that. I love dry embossing. You have no idea how happy I am to find you. Your instructions are fabulous. Now I have somewhere to purchase the products. Thank you so much for the tutorial!
    sharon L
    sharon.lemon@sbcglobal.net

32. Sandy Ford says:

What beautiful cards. The colors are so vibrant. Thank you for sharing.
    Sandy F.

This card is gorgeous! Thank you for sharing step-by-step on how you made this masterpiece! I always wondered exactly how you did the embossing and cutting.

Both of your cards are incredibly beautiful, Jerri!! Thank you for the step-by-step details!! I don’t think I could ever have the patience and/or precision to do what you do! You’re a true artist, my friend!!

35. Heather says:

Your card is beautiful Jerri, I can’t get over your flowers, they look like delicate china flowers with gold leaf edging.
    Thank you for the detailed tutorial, that was a lot of work and so helpful.

36. Now this is elegant! Beautiful.

37. Barb(GrandmaUpNorth) says:

This card is beyond stunning! Give me a moment while I pick my chin up off the floor. It is beautiful!!!

38. leslierich says:

Oh, my! Your card is every bit as lovely as the frame! You’re so kind to share the info on this technique. I’ve been wondering about these stencils and wanting to see more about them. I’ll be back to study up more, as this is a fabulous reference. Thank you, Jerri!

39. Gigi says:

WOW! Amazing work on the cards. You’re extremely talented. Keep up the fantastic work =)

The newest card is simply stunning. I just love the tole flowers! Jerri, everything you do is simply outstanding, always an inspiration. And how kind of you to share such a detailed and well written tutorial.

41. Charlene says:

Every creation takes my breath away…simply stunning!

42. What an absolutely stunning design, Jerri! Truly a work of art!

43. Oh my gosh, everything you do is just over-the-top AMAZING!! Look at that gorgeous sparkle!! AWESOME, girl!

44. An says:

Hei!
    Aivan loistavia nämä sinun teoksesi!! :)
    Tein tilausta -mutta en tainnut osata tilata noita tuotteita mitä olet kortissasi käyttänyt!
    Haluaisin oppia tuon tekniikan-mutta ensin pitää hankkia välineet!
    Hyvää sunnuntaita sinulle!
    T ; Anelma

45. Conniecrafter says:

Oh Wow such Beautiful works of art, I would love to see one of your creations in person.
    Sounds like you have been very busy, I will be taking my daughter to college on Tuesday, she has to go early for cross-country camp, it sure seems like the days fly by more and more.

46. Carolen says:

Amazing! And, of course, you got me
    in buying AGAIN!

talent with us! I really appreciate it!

47. Jenny Gropp says:

Jerri, you never fail to amaze me. Your intricate designs, your hand drawn images… I so wish we were neighbors. STUNNING piece of art once again!

48. What a pretty inspiration frame Jerri, but an even more stunning creation from it! Such beautiful intricate work, I’d have a hard time giving these away Jerri, it would have to be someone REALLY special :)

Sounds like you’ve had some FUN summer with CHA and vacation. We just returned home last night from the mountains.

49. Amy Sheffer says:

Stunning, Jerri! You continually amaze me with your artistry! Thanks for sharing the process for the stencil embossing and cutwork – so helpful!!

50. Linda C. says:

Picture PERFECT!

51. I am always rewarded when I visit your art gallery and find that you have created another masterpiece.. or two! Absolutely breath-taking!! Wonderful tutorial, too.

Jerri, this is truly spectacular….Oh, my word!!!! Sooo delicate and elegant…a real Jerri masterpiece!!! I just ordered some paper and dies from your store….I hope I can figure out how to do this!!! Thanks for the great tutorials…you may have to come to Texas and give me private lessons…heehehee!!!!

53. Linda says:

Your card absolutely took my breath away. Thank you for the tutortial. I look forward to seeing more of y our beautiful creations.

54. barb schram says:

There is nothing like your masterpieces! Beautiful, just beautiful!

55. […] I’m excited to be a part of the Stamp Simply 100th Challenge birthday celebration. I have prepared for you a stencil embossing tutorial utilizing a light box below, as well as a paper tole birthday card. At the bottom of this post …Read More […]