Oct 27 2009

Broomstick Treat

Published by at 9:20 pm under Halloween,Holiday,JustRite Stampers

halloween-ball-3-broomstick-treat-047-copy_edited-3.jpg

Last week I was thumbing through a magazine at the check out line in the grocery store when I came across a picture of treats stuffed into a broomstick made with small paper bags about 3″ x 6″.  My creative mind immediately went to the treat bags I was making with the JustRite Stampers Witch Way to the Treats set that I got from the Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.  I couldn’t resist making a broomstick treat bag on a larger scale using the theme I was going with in my Halloween project to give to my great-nephew for Halloween.

halloween-ball-3-broomstick-treat-056-copy_edited-4.jpg

In this close up you  can see that I used the same tag that I made for the treat bags I posted here.  I cut a limb from an oak tree in our yard for the broomstick.  To make the lower portion of the broomstick I used two lunch size paper bags.  On the first bag I cut strips about 1/4 of the way down from the top of the bag and filled it with chocolates.  I then cut strips in the second bag from top to bottom of the bag.  I spread out the cut bag and placed the first bag filled with chocolates on top of it, I inserted the oak branch inside the first bag, and pulled the strips up to cover the bag and oak branch.  I used brown floral wire to secure the paper strips.  Once the strips were secured, I trimmed them to about 1 1/2″ leaving plenty of room for the broomstick to show.  I then took thick cord (the same cord I used on the treat bags yesterday, see link above) and wrapped it around the floral wire to hide it (see picture below).  I adhered the mummy tag to the brown cord on the bag using Zip Dry adhesive.

I found a skeleton garland on sale at Michael’s and used it throughout the Halloween project.  The garland had five skeletons and was marked down to $2.40, can’t be that! One garland completed the entire project of treat bags, broomstick and coffins (come back tomorrow to see those, so adorable!).  I cut the skeletons from the garland and disassembled the bones.  You can see the hands above the mouse on the tag (Martha Stewart mouse punch).  The mummy’s head was paper toled and placed on a foam dot for dimension.  I adhered the legs and feet to the first bag and pulled them through the strips (see right side of bag).  I adhered the skeleton torso to the front of the bag and glued a mouse crawling across the ribs.

My eight-year-old great-nephew is going to flip for this broomstick treat.  It works like a pinata, but instead of hitting it with a bat, you rip it open and the candy spills out.  How fun is that!  The broomstick is a perfect treat for a Halloween party and it makes an adorable presentation on your table. Using smaller bags would make great treat bags for a classroom party at school.

halloween-ball-3-broomstick-treat-061-copy.jpg

This photo shows the back side of the broomstick to show how I wrapped the brown cording around the floral wire.   I adhered both ends with Zip Dry glue, it dries fast and the hold is unbelievable!

Thanks so much for dropping in, I love when you stop by for a visit!

Shopping Links:

A Touch of GraceZip Dry adhesive, Foam Dots, Quickie Glue pen, SU circle punches, Martha Stewart mouse punch (Michael’s), black pearls, Old Paper and Antique Linen Tim Holtz Distress inks, Prismacolor pencils, black and ivory cardstock, lunch size paper bags, Genesis Paper Trimmer, cutting mat, craft knife, skeleton bones and accessories (Michael’s), glitter, floral wire, oak branch

Stamp Simply Ribbon StoreWitch Way to the Treats JustRite stamps, cording, Versafine black ink

Joan’s Gardens:  Martha Stewart leaf punch

26 Responses to “Broomstick Treat”

Jerri, your creative mind just doesn’t stop. Wow this is adorable. What a wonderful treat for your nephew. Each project you have done has been wonderful.
    Thanks for sharing with us!!

Joan

2. Michelle R says:

Girl, this is one more amazing treat! How DO you do it?

3. This has to be the most creative thing I have ever seen!!! This is absolutely adorable!

4. nancy littrell says:

How very cute and cleaver. Your great-nephew will love it. How fun to use so many vendors for one project. TFS

5. nancy littrell says:

Whoops……..cleaver……I don’t think so. How about clever :-)

6. Becca Feeken says:

Jerri, this is adorable! Looks like you’re ready for Halloween!

7. Beth Norman says:

Awesome. Or should I say, “spooky.”

This is precious! I love the broom bag idea, Jerri!

9. This broomstick treat bag has GOT to be THE most darling Halloween treat idea EVER!!!! What a fabulous creation!!! I want to make one — LOL!!!! This series of Halloween posts has been just wonderful!!! TFS!!!

Just love it all! We’re having company for the weekend, our breeder-friend Gabriele is hand carrying our new puppy from Atlanta to here on Friday. I SO wish I had a month to try some of your incredible ideas to make a lovely display in my dining room! Yoou just give everything an Uber-elegant touch! I’ve never seen anyone make Halloween as gorgeous and elegant as you do!

11. Velta says:

Your creative genius has really come out here Jerri!!! What fun kids will have with this broom. I love that skeleton is what made me scream “How Halloweenie!” Cannot wait to see your coffins!!! TFS!

12. Jill Haddad says:

This is clever and oh so cute!

13. Pat says:

Good morning! What a nice way to begin the day with a cup of coffee and creative picture candy to wake up the left brain. Jerri just love this idea, but I’ll have to save this for next year. My nieces and nephews live in Arizona and I’m in New York. It would never get there in time. This halloween series has been a top-notch presentation. Thanks so much. Pat

Jeri, this is so awesome and creative! Gotta love it for sure.

15. Evie says:

YOU are amazing…..I would love to go to an “open house” at your home during the holidays…..it is glorious…..I admire you!!!!!!!

16. Conniecrafter says:

So cool, what fun for the kids, after all that work though I don’t know if I could stand to see them rip into the bag!

17. Janine says:

Absolutely fabulous Jerri!!!

18. Sharon L says:

What a great idea! This would be cute for the special trick or treaters that come to your house! OK, where’s my paper bags?
    Sharon L

19. Tosh says:

How clever, creative and fun Jerri!! Love your broomstick treat bag! And the JR images are a perfect fit with this project!!

20. Karen says:

Oh how cute!

21. Silke Ledlow says:

Oh – this is sooo cool and fun!!! Love this Halloween idea!!! Hugs ~S~

22. Ellek says:

Another fabulous idea once again. You are indeed my favorite blog! Elle

23. Sonya Appel says:

Jerri, these projects are full of equisite detail and are so wonderfully done, as always!!! Each project, rather art, that you create is better than the next!!! Can’t wait to see what you create next.

How super fun and perfect for Halloween!!!! I love your design with the JR stamps and the little skeletons…especially the one with his legs sticking out of the bag…cracks me up!!!!

25. leslierich says:

Oh, now this is fun! Your table looks so warm and festive in an eerie kind of way!

So spooky cute and clever!! Love this!!