Nov 27 2009

Denim Jeans

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends.  I was hoping to get a post up, but it wasn’t meant to be.  My father has been ill so instead of having Thanksgiving dinner at my house, we traveled to my mom’s sister’s house and met with our family there.

denim-card-016-2.jpg

I’ve been working on Christmas designs all week and haven’t had a chance to post these cards I made last week.  In June Debbie Olson  of Thinking Inking posted a Father’s Day card (with a tutorial) in the classroom that “knocked my socks off.”  Debbie’s inspiration came from the very talented Jan Tinklenberg of Stamps, Paper, Scissors.  I saved Debbie’s card in my favorites as I knew this was the perfect card for my teen/adult male relatives.  These cards are for my adult nephew and my oldest son.  Debbie’s tutorial is available by clicking on the classroom link provided.  Debbie, thank you so much for sharing your creative talents with us and for graciously giving me permission to share my interpretation of this fabulous technique with others.

denim-card-041-copy.jpg

I couldn’t help but laugh when I looked at my son’s jeans and realized they haven’t seen an iron in years (most likely).  So when designing my card, I just had to add a few of those wrinkles and dimples and a Levi’s tag to make it a bit more authentic.  I used Prismacolor pencils for all coloring on the cards.  The JustRite stamps came in perfect for authenticating the tags.  I used the Small Letter Font Set for the red Levi’s tag shown in the above photo.

denim-card-016-copy.jpg

It’s fun to personalize the cards by placing the jeans’ style and size on the tags.

denim-card-039-copy.jpg

In this close up you can see the “*Levi Strauss & Co. *” writing on the tag.  I masked out the writing that was on the stamp and used the JustRite Small Letter Font Set to replace it with the Levi Strauss info.  To create the tag, I used Stampin’ Up!’s Bronc Buster set.  I loaded the stamp on a Versamark pad and then picked up ink from the Chili Pepper ink pad.  I stamped the image and embossed it using clear embossing powder.  I used the JustRite New Times Roman Uppercase 25 Font to stamp the jeans style “550,” as well as the jean’s size.  As you can see from the tags, I personalized each card with the size jeans my son and nephew wear.   I used a Stamp-a-ma-jig to align the “*Levi Strauss & Co. *,” as well as the style and sizes.  I stitched around the tag with a sewing machine and added bronze brads.  To age the tag and give it the appearance of leather, I spritzed the back of the paper with water then crumpled it up.  I lightly sponged the tag with Tim Holtz Vintage Tea Distress ink.  Staying true to the Levi’s tag, I used black ink for the numbers and red ink for the letters.

Shopping:  A Touch of Grace – Paper Boutique:  Versamark, Heating Tool, Zip Dry

Stamps:  JustRite Small Letter Font Set, New Times Roman Uppercase Font Set; Stampin’ Up! Bronc Buster and Denim Background stamp

Paper:  Creamy Caramel, Bordering Blue, Real Red, River Rock

Ink:  Indigo Blue, Chili Pepper, Vintage Tea, Basic Black, Versamark

Accessories:  Clear Embossing Powder, Heating Tool, Water Spritzer, Clear Ruler, Brads, Sewing Machine, Zip Dry, Stamp-a-ma-jig, sponge, Paper Piercer, Prismacolor Pencils

Thank you so much for stopping by, I’ll be back in a few days to post Christmas designs I’ve been working on.

30 Responses to “Denim Jeans”

Oh my gosh…this is so realistic-looking, Jerri!! A most *perfect* guys’ card for sure!!

2. […] Read more here: A Touch of Grace » JustRite… […]

3. Michelle R says:

I love it, Jerri! Great guy card, and the Levi tag is perfect!

4. Joan B says:

I thought this was a scrap from an old pair of jeans. This is amazing!!

Thanks for the link to the tutorial, Jerri. Your cards are precious.

6. Judy Covey says:

So sorry to hear that your Dad has been ill Jerri and hope that he’ll be back to his normal self soon. Did you pack up all the beautiful items that you made for your Thanksgiving table and bring them to your Aunt’s or did you pack them away for next year? The cards that you made for your nephew and son are really neat. At first look it appeared that you took the Levi tag off from an old pair of jeans and adhered them to the cards. Great job as usual.

7. OMW, these look so real! awesome!!

8. What stamp did you use to stamp the main fabric? Was it a specific denim stamp? I’m wondering if I could use my canvas background. Any thoughts?

9. velta says:

Hi Jerri ~ Prayers for your Dad are coming your way…I sincerely hope he gets well soon! Your card is so perfect, I wondered if you had actually cut jeans and added the patch that came with the jeans…Amazing!

10. Silke Ledlow says:

Jerri – WOW – this is one awesome masculine card!!! Love the jeans look!!!
    Hope your dad is recovering quickly……!!! Sending big hugs ~S~

11. Shawna says:

GREAT masuline card! I am on the hunt for that stamp now. That patch looks so real!!!! Hugs and prayers for you and your dad.

12. Willow says:

Hi Jerri…So sorry to hear your Dad is ill. He is in my prayers that soon he will feel better. I love your man cards…LOL…

Jerri, it looks like you literally cut the back side off your son’s jeans! AMAZING!!! You never cease to amaze me!

14. Cherie says:

Totally awesome! Thanks for sharing this with us!

15. Thelma says:

This is a lovely card as usual Jerri. I don’t have the new SU catalogue so I hadn’t seen that stamp. Will maybe have to get this since I need an encore to last year’s wallet for our SIL!

I was picturing your lovely table setting for Thanksgiving and here you were not at home at all. I hope your Dad is recovering nicely. TFS.

16. Carolen says:

Absolutely amazing!
    Thanks for sharing!

17. Robbie says:

WOW!! Fantastic job!!

18. Elaine Allen says:

Jerri –

I hope your father is feeling a little better, I’ll be sure to keep him in my prayers. I know that having a loved one who is ill can be very upsetting. It is apparent that he has a family that really cares for him.

I love what you have done with this card, the denim effect is just wonderful! So very realistic.

Thank you again for the super Blog Candy. I was like a little kid at Christmas when it came in the mail – LOL!

Thanks,

Elaine Allen

Jerri, your guy cards are over the top, gf!

20. Tosh says:

How clever and oh, so cool Jerri!! LOVE your masculine, distressed jeans card!! FABULOUS!!

21. nancyruth says:

Oh Jerri these are amazing. Your attention to each little detail results in the most wonderful creations! I hope your Dad is feeling better, and also want to wish you a Happy Birthday! Your friend, Nancyruth

22. I LOVE this technique! Beautifully done, Jerri. The tags are PERFECT!!!

23. Jenny Gropp says:

HEHHEEEEE — I love it! What a clever project to use the JR stamps for. Totally fun and inspiring, I can see why you saved in your faves. This is such a great “man” card!!

24. Sherry D says:

What great masculine cards, and those tags are absolutley FAB-ulous! From the coloring to the wrinkles you’ve really captured the look of denim and leather! .. and I love how you masked the stamp and added the Levi name.. very clever! The boys are going to love them!

25. This is just wonderful, Jerri! I would think it was actually denimn and leather. What seriously fabulous cards!

26. Oh my word — these ARE amazing! WHERE have I been that I’m only now spotting these — TOTALLY FABULOUS WORK on these super FAB guy cards!!!

27. Debbie Olson says:

Whoa! Jerri! You took this to a new level–fabulous, as always! I’m so sorry to hear that your dad is ill.

28. Candy says:

Thud…..that was me falling out of my chair…lol!! These are “TOTALLY AWESOME” Jerri!!

So sorry to hear that your dad is ill, he and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers!!!

{{{{{Big Hugs}}}}}