Apr 26 2010

Pergamano – The Techniques – Volume 4 – Dabbing

the-techniques-vol-4-029-copy.jpg

Hi girls, I’m back with Pergamano’s The Techniques – Step by Step – Volume 4.  I have a few designs to show you that I did from the book this past weekend.  As you will recall, the first three books I’ve shown cover the basic techniques, i.e., tracing, embossing, stippling, per- forating, cutting, and painting with the Perga Color Exclusive markers.  If you missed that post, click here and here for a quick look or review.  The books build on one another; the fourth volume assumes you’ve completed the first three books and picks up with adding additional color techniques to parchment designs.

Before I go on I’d like to say thank you to Barbara Spanheimer, a fellow parcher with years of experience with parchment craft.  Barbara your tips and advice on my parchment journey have been invaluable and I truly appreciate your generosity in sharing your knowledge with me.

the-techniques-vol-4-018-copy.jpg

Volume 4 of the series teaches dabbing.  Dabbing is a fun technique that uses Pintura paints and dabbing brushes to create patterns of small dots.  The dots create a picture, as shown above, when dabbed on the parchment paper.  The book begins with dabbing with templates and moves on to teaching dabbing without templates.  The three designs I’ve shown here were made without the use of templates.  I’ve added a few punched and embossed butterflies and most likely will attach ribbons to the cards before sending them out.  I love the colors used on this card, the design is so soft and peaceful.  There are a total of ten designs in the book, starting with a small gift card and progressing up to cards as shown in this post.

the-techniques-vol-4-019-copy.jpg

The card shown here measures 4″ x 4.”  The dabbed flowers were embossed on the back side of the parchment paper with the extra large embossing ball tool.  The super fine stylus embossing tool was used to emboss the leaves using a feathering technique (taught in The Techniques – Volume 1) on all three of the cards.  Pintura paints are acrylic paints that are made by Pergamano exclusively for parchment craft.  A medium has been added to the paints to give them elasticity for embossing.  Regular acrylics will not work, they will crack and peel off when embossed.

the-techniques-vol-4-020-copy.jpg

The dabbing technique is relatively easy to learn and perfect for making beautiful cards that can be given for just about any occasion.  The above card has a diamater of 4-1/2″ and can be placed in a square 4-1/2″ x 4-1/2″ envelope.  A lavender silk bow will be attached to the top of this card before mailing to the recipient.

Shopping:

A Touch of Grace – Paper Boutique

I hope to be back later in the week with cards I’ve been working on for The Techniques – Step by Step – Volume 5, featuring the Perga Liners (colored coordinated basic colored pencils [15] and aquarelle water color pencils [20], artist quality).

Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate your visit .   .  . Wishing you all a truly wonderful day!

30 Responses to “Pergamano – The Techniques – Volume 4 – Dabbing”

1. Wowww, what a gorgeous look!

2. Dawn says:

Jerri, I wish I had an 1/8 of the talent you do. Very beautiful Thank you for sharing. I enjoy coming to your blog.

Ooooh, these are sooo pretty, Jerri…I wish we lived closer so I could watch you do this…it’s amazing!!!!!

4. Beth Norman says:

Beautiful. Your flowers look so real. Lovely edging too.

5. Emily says:

So pretty! The embossing alone is beautiful but the painting technique makes it really sing!!! Thanks for sharing! :o)

Jerri, this is amazing and absolutely beautiful. Your talent just blows me away.
    There aren’t enough adjectives to describe their beauty. Thanks for sharing with us.

Gorgeous, Jerri!

Jerri, you seem to be mastering this technique very well! Love all your creations.

Beautiful Jerri, thanks for sharing.

10. Velta says:

What beautiful examples of your creativity!!!! I smile every time I visit you!! Are you saying that the flower part (which I thought was Flower Soft at first) is actually tiny holes that you painted? I treasure looking at your art work…you just have a way with that camera too! All the surrounding flowers and what I think is silk with pearls. Just gorgeous, stunning and elegant!!! And, yes I do look at all the details…that is what makes your posts so wonderful!! Thank you for sharing…I look forward to your next post!!

Oh my goodness, who knew there could be something even more beautiful than the last project you have shown. Stunning! About takes my breath away. My favorite is the first one :)

I love the look of this craft, and I’m sure I’m not alone. I live on a fixed income, so expenses are always an issue. I want to start very small and see if I like doing it, before I buy a bunch of tools and books etc. In a catalog I have they have small square metal pattern set, that comes with a piercing mat. Then I’d have to buy a perf. pen and some papers. The cost isn’t high, but I’m wondering if it will be enough to start? Then if I really like the craft, I’ll purchase all the tools and books I need to create the beauties I’ve seen you make! Thanks for the help and the inspiration!
    Jess

13. Cherie says:

Wow! This is awesome! As always, your projects are stunning! I have purchased a few of your items to get started but haven’t had the time to sit down and really do them justice! I plan on it though! Thanks for sharing your wonderful creativeness with us!

14. Susan G says:

Your work is just TOO BEAUTIFUL!!!
    Susan

15. Carol Southern says:

Beautiful, fun projects and your workmanship is fantastic. I love to visit to see what comes next.

16. Karen Baker says:

Beautiful Jerri! You make this seem much easier than it is. Your talent shines through.

17. Rufus says:

Jerri, these are incredible. I wish that I could see them in person. Or even better watch you create one! You make it seem so simple, but I have this sneaking hunch that it is anything but simple!
    R/

18. A blog post was really useful, you can not find the information sought in a lot of places I’ve come across here, I only ask you updating your blog more, if the thousands of blog, thanks a lot thank everyone who participated.
    Daisy

19. Truly breathtaking! Your parchment work is absolutely exquisite, Jerri.

20. Heather says:

These are incredibly sweet – I feel I can reach out and touch them! I love how you’ve inspired me to try new things. In fact, after I went back and marveled at your last post’s creation, I had a dream about it that night! I then did what every normal person who doesn’t have your talent would do… I tried making a bunch of teensy bitty flowers from various paper punches using my embossing tools to shape the petals. Thanks to you, I now have a few little pretties to add to my cards! I’m going to make more today, in fact, but out of more varied colours. Trial & error showed me light paper works well (I also used vellum), so I’ll be making some with different shades of inks this time. I even used a teensy daisy punch to make that little green opened bud part, like a rose has! Once I’m done, I’ll send off a pic to show you.
    It’s beautiful and sunny now – better than the spring snow the other day! – so I’ll be taking it all in today, on the balconey surrounded by my flowers.
    Thank you for the inspiration!

21. Tosh says:

Oooooh!! So, so pretty Jerri!!

I’m back again. I just left you a little Sunshine on my blog. Check it out!

23. Absolutely gorgeous! Your work is stunning!

24. cepet says:

recently found your blog. You are doing quite well with parchment craft. The dabbing technique is one of my favorites as it gives the piece not only color but texture.
    Would love to exchange links with you.

25. Silke Ledlow says:

Oh my goodness Jerri…these are gorgeous!!! You do such fabulous work with the pergamo!!! Hugs ~S~

Everything looks incredibly gorgeous, Jerri!!

27. Stunning pieces! I LOVE the look of the *dabbing* — those flowers are ALL truly INCREDIBLE!!!

28. lida says:

29. Oooooh!! So, so pretty Jerri!!

30. Ruth Witmer says:

Your cards are beautiful. I would love to try this craft. I am a Stampin’Up Demonstrator and I am always looking for something new to learn.