May 26 2010

My Visit With Ann

Published by at 11:45 pm under Projects in General

Hi girls, today I’m sharing pictures I took while visiting my dear friend Ann in Tennessee.  Ann and I met through my blog.  Getting to know Ann has been such a blessing, I like to think she was sent my way via His love, you know, a God thing.

I flew up a day earlier than planned so that I’d have an entire day to visit with Ann and let me say it was not enough time.  I had such a wonderful time, Ann graciously welcomed me into her lovely home and shared her beautiful collection of vintage laces, linens, books, cribs, sewing tools, bridal gowns, Christening gowns, hats, bonnets, shoes, prints, I could just go on and on.  Ann’s knowledge of every single item she has is just incredible.  On my next visit, I’m taking a notepad  .   .   . LOL!

anns-home-blog-1_edited-1-copy.jpg

Ann has a gorgeous coffee table in her formal living room that has several Vintage pieces safely placed under glass.  I just fell in love with this gorgeous hand painted fan. This room held many treasures such as vintage purses, fans, lamps, pillows, etc.

anns-home-2_edited-2.jpg

This room nearly sent me into a swoon!  Look at that gown, so incredibly beautiful!  Isn’t the child’s dress and bonnet so sweet, tiny pink bows are on the sleeves.  An antique doll’s bed complete with all the bedding is on top of the curio cabinet.  The cabinet itself is filled with vintage baby books, baby shoes, cards, pillows, hats, toys, etc.  To the right of the child’s dress is an antique hospital baby crib, complete with vintage bedding.

anns-home-3_edited-1.jpg

This is another picture of the same room.  The bedding is just incredible, you can’t believe how gorgeous everything is in real life!  And just look at the bassinet, complete with vintage bedding.  As I said, I was nearly swooning with delight!  Ann has spent a lifetime collecting these vintage pieces.

anns-home-4_edited-1.jpg

Ann’s home is so incredibly lovely.  The walls are painted with soft pastel colors, I love the creamy color of the walls in this room, a perfect compliment to the many vintage gowns and bonnets.  I was so blessed to be able to see and touch these museum quality pieces.  You just can’t believe the beauty of these precious hats!

anns-home-5.jpg

I had to get a few close ups, I was so inspired by everything I saw.  I don’t believe I’ve ever seen so much linen and lace under one roof.

anns-home-6_edited-1.jpg

Is this not incredible!!  It’s a wedding gown.  I was so afraid to touch it, let alone breathe near it. This is yet another room filled with vintage treasures.  I believe the theme of this room is on brides, whereas the first room’s theme is on infants. I think I spent nearly an hour just sitting on the floor at the foot of the bed browsing through vintage bridal books, oh the inspiration found there.  On the bed itself is the most beautiful hand painted silk pillows.

anns-home-7_edited-1.jpg

Isn’t this so gorgeous!  I’m sure the bride had to have had a few helpers to assist her into getting dressed in this gown.  Just look at the sheerness of the sleeves, the sheerness is incredibly breathtaking.

anns-home-8_edited-1.jpg

The train of the gown is absolutely stunning!  The jewels are stunning on this piece, I can just imagine the love and excitement the bride was feeling on her wedding day. I viewed this gown in absolute awe.

anns-home-9_edited-1.jpg

Here’s the bridal veil.  It’s amazing how well this piece has been preserved over time!  I apologize for the poor quality of this photo, it came out a yellowish color.  I worked as best as I could in Photoshop to get it halfway presentable.  I lament my poor photography skills!  I believe that’s the wedding invitation placed in the center, I would have to get Ann’s confirmation on that.

The care that has been given over the years to preserve both the dress and the headpiece is incredible.  I’m sure the bride that wore this gown on her wedding day looks down from heaven and sees the love and care Ann has taken in the preservation of her precious gown and is very, very happy.

I’ll be back on Monday to show you what I’ve been working on these last several days.  I finished up today and will be taking pictures tomorrow, spending several hours in Photoshop, no doubt .   .   .  LOL!  I have several pieces that I’ve designed in a bridal collection for summer brides.  If you know anyone getting married, please send them a link.  Hopefully some of the designs will fill them with ideas and inspiration for their special day.

Have a wonderful weekend!

20 Responses to “My Visit With Ann”

1. OH MY! Such lovely things!!!

I would have been in awe as well, Jerri! Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos of Ann’s collection.

3. Edie says:

Jere, what a wonderful treat for you to be able to visit Ann and see this wonderful vintage lace collection. It makes me swoon just to see the pictures and I can imagine how you felt seeing it. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures with us. I can hardly wait to see the projects you have made after all this inspiration.

4. ValerieC says:

My mother always had her grandmother’s eighth grade graduation dress displayed. I always loved it! Your friend’s home is amazing and a labor of love. Thank you for sharing!!!

5. Oh my goodness, Jerri!!! I could not leave this page. Your photos are absolutely stunning and gazing, over and over again, at all these delicate, vintage pieces brought back many memories of my own family history in the photos I have. What a glorious lady Ann is for preserving all these beauties!! Only one day in surroundings like that would never have been enough time for me.

6. WOW — what a treat to be there with all that vintage beauty! So glad you had a wonderful day!

7. cepet says:

Oh, WOW! What awesome treasures! Just breathtaking. Thank you so much for sharing with us, this step back in time.

8. Diane Schultz says:

Jerri, Ann’s rooms are just gorgeous and beautiful. I can just see my Grandmother and Mother standing in the Brides room. These are truly an exquisite treasures and breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.

Jerri, your friend’s home looks like a museum where you have stepped back into time! I know you had a blast and what a nice collection she has. I know you had such a good time viewing all these wonderful heirloom pieces.

10. Barbara says:

I am truly speachless. what a treat for you!

11. Gloria says:

I am speechless!!! What an opportunity for you Jerri!! I LOVE vintage!!

12. Sandi Christen says:

You and your friend are truley blessed. Her vintage items are museum quality and today, would be extremely hard to find.
    On another note I would like to know how your friend keeps her things from getting dusty and yellowed?
    thanks and God bless,
    Sandi

WOW is almost all I could get out while looking at the photos of these beautiful pieces! Ann has taken such good care of them. I’m sending a link to my nephew’s bride to be to inspire her. Thanks for sharing your friend’s love of lace with us.

14. Linda says:

I am so jealous, I know you must have had an awesome time with your friend Ann. Her collection is so gorgeous, I am so thankful to people like her who have preserved our heirtage for us. I can’t imagine what it must have been like for you to see these gorgeous heirlooms. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

15. Carol Southern says:

What a beautiful collection of treasures your friend has. Thank you so much for sharing these with us. I loved seeing all the photos.

16. Elaine Moore says:

OMGoodness Gracious Sakes!! I think my heart would have stopped – I know I sure wouldn’t have been able to breathe. Can you imagine living with these wonderful creations? Heavenly!!

17. Cherie says:

Totally awesome! I don’t think I would be able to leave there! Wow! The wedding gown reminded me of my grandmother’s gown which is on display in a museum in Michigan. I hope to go back one day and photograph it! Thanks so much for sharing as it brought back alot of memories!

18. Velta says:

Oh Wow, Oh Wow!!! This is right up my alley Jerri! Oh how I love and treasure vintage clothing from this era…you are right the details and delicacy are just amazing! Stunning in every way. I just look at these gorgeous (by the way) photographs and want to close my eyes and dream of another world. Thank you ever so much for sharing!

19. Kay says:

Incredible!!!! I love it! How lucky to be able to get up close to see this wonderful collection. I’m so glad you took the time and effort to share it with us. Does Ann have a blog? I’m sure I would love to be a follower of hers. Thanks for all the eye candy!

20. Conniecrafter says:

Oh Wow what fabulous showcase rooms, filled with beautiful treasures! Thanks for the beautiful pics!