Sep 28 2010

Gilded Leaves Tutorial

Hi ladies, today I’m sharing a tutorial for the gilded leaves used throughout the Fall designs I posted earlier.  The tutorial is geared for beginners and those who want to see the steps I used in making the Fall leaves.  The leaves are easy to make, the pictures are pretty much self-explanatory.

I will be posting a tutorial for making the mums shortly, I’m working on editing the images.  The tutorial is quite lengthy, not because the mums are hard to make, but because I’m working on a step-by-step pictorial for all levels, beginners to advanced, including those who are visual like me.  More than likely the tutorial will be broken down into three parts so I don’t crash your computers with “over load” .   .   .  LOL!

Products I used in making the leaves include:  the Wizard, Spellbinders’ Assorted Leaves die plate, Daisy Heads dies (small leaves), a magnetic spacer plate, a tan embossing mat, two cutting boards, various colors of cardstock, various inks of your choice (if you want to tint the leaves), a sponge wedge or dauber, Encore Gold pigment ink, gold embossing powder (I used Ranger), a heating tool, embossing mat, embossing tool (medium and small), and an old paintbrush.
Tint the leaves and, if desired, spritz spots on them (optional).  I used a dark marker and spritzer.  If you don’t have a spritzer, a toothbrush will work fine to splatter dots of ink, a bit messy but it works.

Using a sponge wedge or dauber, apply Encore Gold pigment ink onto the edges of the leaves and lightly dab sponge over surface of leaves as shown in the above picture.

Cover the leaves with the gold embossing powder.

Shake off excess embossing powder.

Use an old paint brush to gently remove some of the embossing powder as shown in the picture.

Use heating tool to melt the embossing powder.

Emboss the leaves with a medium size embossing tool on the embossing pad.  For more realistic appearing leaves, emboss on both sides of the cardstock.

Voilá  .    .    .  beautiful gilded leaves that you see in store bought floral arrangements.

I’m including the smaller leaves that were used in the lamp shade, as well as the place card designs.

Tint the edges of the leaves with ink, I also dabbed a bit of Pearl Ex gold powder on the leaves for a bit of shimmer.  Use a small embossing tool and gently press on the front of the leaf, curling the tip.

Turn the leaf over and gently press with a medium size embossing tool for a slight wave in the middle of the leaf.

As you can see, this plate has been used quite a bit.  It’s deeply etched with all the colors I used in the Fall designs.  I like to call this plate a seasoned plate.  I wouldn’t use it to emboss a panel for a focal image; however, it’s ideal for embossing leaves and flowers and will work to my advantage.

As you can see in this close up, by using the deeply etched plate, I’ve created beautiful, realistic veins in this leaf.  So, don’t despair when your plates are rather “worn”, use them to your advantage and let them work for you!

This place card design illustrates both the large and small leaves in a design. I’ve prepared a tutorial for it and will be posting it after I post the mum tutorial.

Thank you for stopping by.  I hope to see you soon!

Hugs,

21 Responses to “Gilded Leaves Tutorial”

1. Just amazing! These leaves are stunning -you are such an artist! Hugs,

P.S. can’t wait to see those circle cards!! woohoo!

2. velta says:

Oh Jerri ~ This tutorial is amazing….and don’t think I won’t try it…time is my enemy when it comes to paper crafting…I have so many orders from peeps at work…but on the side lines I am practicing your creativity. This one will be no different…I even print out your instructions so I can eventually try your techniques.

For some reason, I have not been getting your posts…The last 4 posts you have made have not made it to my email…not to worry…I still visit at least once a week…and I always will.

What can I say…Thank you for your inspiration…your friendship…and your wonderful art work that puts a smile on my face whenever I visit!

3. Patti Jo says:

Thank you so much for putting your work into pictures and words! Appreciate the time it takes for you to share all of that! Wonderful tutorial and your arrangements are all so outstanding! What inspiration!!!

Great tutorial, Jerri! The leaves are gorgeous.

5. Teresa says:

What a beautiful card. You are one in million. Thank you.

Great tutorial Jerri. I know it is a lot a hard work preparing a tutorial for us, but it sure does help. Thanks so much!

7. As always, Jerri, your work is amazing. Thanks for taking the time to teach us your tricks. This is how I learn new techniques and then incorporate them into my work. I live in a rural area so this is my learning center. I have never taken a class in any craft. We only have one craft store and I’m not sure, but I don’t think they offer classes. I’m always buzzing by to check and see if you have anything new posted. Everything is so beautiful and total works of art! Thanks for being here!

8. Mary Mac says:

You are incredibly generous with your time and information – thank you so so much. Your creations are out of this world X

Mary Mac

9. Mikki says:

Hi Jerrie,

Thank you for that wonderful and useful tutorial. Just a question for you. I just picked up some DVD cases and Magnetic sheets to store my Spellbinders. What do you use adhesive do you use to adhere the sheets to the cases?

Thanks,

Mikki

10. What a wonderful tutorial! Love those leaves. Your creations are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much! I think even I can try this one! They are beautiful!

They are beautiful, thanks for sharing.

13. Conniecrafter says:

Thank you so much for sharing how you did the leaves, they are just beautiful!!

14. Deana in No. CA says:

Thank you for the easy to follow tutorial. I can do this!

15. Thank you for this wonderful tutorial Jerri. The leaves are beautiful just beautiful

16. Jerri — what a FAB tutorial! You spell it out so clearly and make it look so easy — THANKS!

17. Thank you so much for taking the time to do these tutorials Jerri!
    I truely appreciate it. These projects are just Gorgeous!

Blessings to you!

Mary

18. Donna G says:

Hi Jerri,
    This was well worth the wait! Your work is just beautiful, and so very “classy” looking! Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to share your talent with us! These leaves are gorgeous. I can’t wait to give them a try, and I’ll be looking forward to your next post!
    Hugs,
    Donna

19. Anne says:

Jerri – This is an amazing piece of art! I believe it will take me a long long time to make it look like that without your tutorials. Your patience and creativity are just beyond words! Thanks for sharing your wonderful creation!! Looking forward to the mums later on!! Thanks, Anne xoxo

OMG, Jerri…your leaves are simply STUNNING!!! I just love all the colors and texture you have achieved with the sponging and embossing…I have got to try making some of these!!!! I am looking forward to the mum tutorials….your place card is magnificiant!!!!

21. Dottie Davis says:

Thank you Jerri for the incredible time it took to put this tutorial together for all of us. The leaves are gorgeous. Really looking forward to the flower tutorial. I am a visual learner as well, so all the detail is just great for my type.