Oct 06 2010

Fall Place Card Tutorial

Hi girls, I’m back with a very quick tutorial for the place card shown above that I made in the Fall designs.

A side view of the place card and how it stands on the table.

A view from the back showing how I attached the front to the back card.

To get a vintage look, I sponged Encore Gold pigment ink onto the Star Stencil, then sponged Vintage Distress Ink on top of the gold ink. This technique is called reversed stenciling I believe.

I placed the stencil on a light box (inked side of stencil facing up).  I use graph paper to help keep the stencil straight. I placed embossing paper over the stencil as shown.  Embossing was done with the two embossing tools shown using Perga Soft.

Hand Embossed Version:  This is what the embossed design looks like using the light box method.

Machine Embossed Version:  You do not have to emboss the stencil by hand on a light box, you can run it through a Wizard, or whichever machine you use.  Sponge the stencil as done in the first step and then emboss with your machine.  However, the results are not the same.  Above is a picture showing the difference.  I embossed the stencil by hand and with the Wizard to illustrate the difference.  When embossing by hand, I omitted the holly leaves and dots within the stencil.  When running through a machine, everything on the stencil gets embossed.  Both are pretty.  My preference is the more vintage look of the hand embossed version.

Place the stencil over the embossed image and cut around the edges with a craft knife.  Another variation is to trace around the edges with a pencil, remove the stencil and cut inside the pencil lines.

Emboss a second piece onto either card stock or poster board. I chose 6-ply white poster board.  You do not need to sponge the stencil as this piece will be adhered to the back of the vintage piece for added support needed for the weight of the flowers.  Cut around the edges using a craft knife as you did with the first piece.

Cut a piece of embossing paper 6 1/2″ x 3 1/4″, score and fold as shown.  If your card back is a little too big, trim it down a bit to fit.

Adhere the two card front pieces together, then adhere that to the card back.  Pull together all pieces you’ll use on the design as shown.  If you don’t have the dies to make the flowers, you can use Primas. (See the Mum tutorials, Part I, Part II, Part III and Part IV for instructions to make the mums.  See the Gilded Leaves tutorial for instructions to make the leaves.)  You can use any punch or die set to create a tag with the name.  The names on my tags were printed on embossing paper first and then cut with a die from Spellbinders Labels 13.

Using the picture as a guide, assemble all the pieces onto the place card with adhesive.

A view of both place cards.

Products used in this design include (links are provided to most items):  Feathers, Brass Charms, Glass Beads, 1/8″ May Arts Silk Ribbon, PD0009 Star Stencil, Daisy Heads Dies, Assorted Leaves Dies, Labels 13 Dies, Flourish Accents Dies, Blossom 2 Dies, 18Kt. Gold Krylon Pen, Gold Encore Pigment Ink, Ranger Gold Embossing Powder, Vintage Distress Ink, Embossing Tools, Light Box, Sponge, Computer, Printer, Perga Soft, Gum Arabic, Pearl Ex Powder, Carnation White, Moss Green, Orange and Deep Purple Embossing Paper, PergaGlue Adhesive

Thank you so much for stopping by, hope to see you soon.

23 Responses to “Fall Place Card Tutorial”

1. Such a beautiful creation. Your artistry knows no bounds!!! Love the step by step tutorial, too, Jerri.

2. I can’t wait to try this….I purchased a stencil from you last year…it would make a beautiful piece! My cutting skills leave a lot to be desired and the outside always looks slightly off. I know practice makes perfect, and i do keep trying. One of these days when I cut it is going to turn out and I will be astounded!

3. Anne says:

I don’t know who wants to throw the place card away once they are used….. Are you requesting your guests to take them home?? They are so meticulously done!! Love it so much!! You are so talented!!

4. I love it Jerri.May do these for Christmas.Thanks for the wonderful tutorial.Philomena

5. Another great tutorial! What a gorgeous table at your house!!! Lucky guests!!!

This is so lovely, Jerri! I am sure your holiday table is gorgeous!

I would love sitting at your table! Everything is so beautiful! Great tutorials Jerri!

This is gorgeous! I have never seen a stencil like that before, it looks perfect with your lovely handmade mums. Could you tell me the size of Item# PD0006-star-collection? Thanks, ~Diane

9. Rama says:

Just gorgeous, would swoon over your table. What talent. Thanks for the great tutorial.

10. Cindy Lou says:

You are bad Jerri, very bad! You knew if you put a tut out on the stencil I would bite LOL Thanks so much for the tut, and I’ll place an order later this morning after everyone is off to do their own things 😉

11. Donna G says:

Another beauty! I am in love with this stencil – I feel another order coming, but I guess I should at least wait until my last order is delivered before placing another one! LOL (It should be here today or tomorrow.)
    You truly have a gift, Jerri. Your Fall collection is a work of art.

12. Silke Ledlow says:

Fantastic presentation and creation Jerri! I’m so happy to see you are back into your grove!!! I already missed so much, but wanted to let you know that each and every idea is a true masterpiece!!! Hugs ~S~

13. Dottie Davis says:

Amazing. I hope you when you retire from your arty crafts you give us a heads up so we can line up a mentor to help us through the withdrawal. LOL! We love your stuff!

14. Oh My!! These are absolutely gorgeous Jerri. Your tutorial is so wonderful and easy to understand. Thank you again Jerri. Your are amazing girlie.

Have a wonderful day!

15. Val says:

This is absolutely stunning! Your art pieces are beautiful. I so enjoy visiting your blog. Thanks so much for sharing Jerri.

Lovely as always! TFS

17. WOW! This should be in a museum. Just perfect Jerri!!

18. These are breathtaking Jerri!
    Thank you for all of the inspiration and the beautiful tutorials that you do!

Blessings,

Mary

19. Tosh says:

You continually blow me away with your art pieces Jerri!! I adore making flowers, but yours make mine look amateur at best!! I’m in awe!! LOVE your embossed place cards too!! Awesome technique with stunning results!! WOW!!

20. Conniecrafter says:

Oh wow it is amazing how much more realistic the hand embossing looks then the machine, it almost reminds me of those ornate stones that are all carved, Such a beautiful fall place setting you will have!

21. Earline says:

You are one talented young lady thanks for shareing with us, Jerri we love you.

22. Neli says:

This is very beautiful. Thank you.

23. Lowri McNabb says:

I would love to link back to your wonderful tutorial but I cannot find a contact address to ask for permission. If you are interested please contact me a t lowri.mcnabb@gmail.com
    Lowri :-)