Oct 07 2010

Back To Nature – Stamp Stimply #160

Wow, Friday sure came fast this week!  I’m back today with Sharon Johnson’s Stamp Simply Design Team and posting from Nashville Tennessee.  My husband and I are here visiting Stephen for the weekend.

Today Sharon has asked us to go back to nature, the challenge is:

“Autumn is truly beautiful here in Upper Michigan – the changing of leaves from green to a rainbow of rich yellows, oranges and reds, the crunching of the fallen leaves underfoot, the sight and sounds of birds migrating south and the smell of applesauce cooking!   I love this time of year!  Today let us be inspired by Mother Nature in our creations – let’s create something with a natural, earthy feel reflective of ANY season YOU enjoy – it’s the natural/earthy element we are going for here, not necessarily autumn.

Here in hot, sunny Florida we have yet to experience the wonders of Autumn that Sharon’s describing  .   .   .   .  hey .   .   .   .   wait a minute  .   .   .   .  oh my word, guests have just flown in .  .  . gosh Sharon, are these the migrating birds you’re referring to?

Bwa ha ha!  I just couldn’t resist  .   .   . LOL!

Baxter was on our screened lanai barking his head off.  When I went to investigate, I saw these guys in my back yard. I grabbed my camera and took these pics.  Mother Nature literally fell right into my lap.  Talk about inspiration for a back to nature challenge .     .     .  the stage is set!

These guys are our locals.  They’re here year round.  I guess no one has told them Thanksgiving is coming up  .    .    .  LOL!  They’ve grown accustomed to us and munch in our yard often.  Sometimes the hens strut by with a brood of chicks, so adorable to get a glimpse of. They let me get close for this picture.

Baxter got a little close and barked at them. As soon as this guy turned around, Baxter hid behind me  .  .  .  “yikes, Mom, it’s birdzilla” .  .  .  and they continued on their way to my neighbor’s yard. Now to go inside and get to work on a card.

After experiencing Mother Nature up close and personal, inspiration led me to design an Autumn card.

I grabbed a few leaves I had left from the Fall designs (Assorted Leaves dies), pulled out my Blossoms 2 dies and made the pine cone and small white flowers.  I used a Cuttlebug embossing folder for the top layer of the card. I cut the center with a die from Spellbinders Labels One set.  A Verve plain Jane scripture verse was stamped on the inner layer.

I jazzed up the pine cone by embossing the edges with Ranger gold embossing powder to match the leaves and added gold glass beads in the center.  I used May Arts 1/8″ silk ribbon and jute for the bow.

I matched up the color of the pine cone to a natural pine cone by opening up the scales and studying the hues. I cut a few petals from the Nut Brown embossing paper using the two smallest Blossom 2 dies.  I sponged Adirondak Wild Plum ink first, then sponged Tim Holtz Rusty Hinge Distress Ink over the Wild Plum.  That gave my pine cone the hint of red I could see in the brown, as well as the rusty hues.  I used PergaKit silicone adhesive under some of the pine cone scales for added depth.

Okay, who wouldn’t be inspired by that aviary display above.  I even plucked a few feathers to add to my card   .   .   .   just kidding!!!!  They were purchased at JoAnn’s. I love feathers in Fall designs.

♦_________________________♦

You’re all welcome and invited to play along in the challenge!  The SCS Keyword is ssnotime160 for those who upload at SCS.  There is no time limit, you can play as many times as you’d like and you can play the challenge anytime at all, there’s no time limit.  If you play along, be sure to link to Mr. Linky on Sharon’s blog so we can easily find you, we’d love to see your designs.  Please link the direct post, not your blog, for ease in finding the proper creation!

Be sure to check out the designs on the blogs of the Stamp Simply Challenge Design Team for inspiration:

Sharon Johnson:  No Time To Stamp?

Deb Neerman:  Paper, Scissors & Ink

Barbara Anders:  Paper Pursuits

Jenny Gropp:  One Krafty Kat

Janine Orchard:  2bKrafty

AJ Otto:  The Willow Garden

Deb Saaranen:  Dream In Color

Barb Schram:  Explore. Dream. Discover

Shopping:

A Touch of GraceCarnation White, Nut Brown embossing paper, Ranger Gold Embossing Powder, Blossom 2 dies, Assorted Leaves dies, Versamark Ink, Embossing Tools, Embossing Mat, PergaKit

Stamp Simply Ribbon StoreBow Easy, May Arts 1/8″ Silk Ribbon, Jute, Verve Scripture Verse

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  Have a wonderful weekend!

28 Responses to “Back To Nature – Stamp Stimply #160”

1. What a fun post — love seeing your yard guests — LOL!!! Your autumn inspired natural card is totally gorgeous — but, of course, it WOULD be!!! Just love it — thanks much for sharing!!!

2. Deb Neerman says:

WoW, this is drop-dead gorgeous!! I’m in love with that gorgeous floral spray … well, really the whole card, but that spray just steals the show!

I really got a kick out of your turkey photos … I’m in So Florida, out in the boondocks, and we get them here too. Such fun to watch; talk about Mother Nature, huh?!?

Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

3. […] A Touch of Grace » Back To Nature – Stamp Stimply #160 Share and Enjoy: […]

4. Barbara Riefner says:

I have been enjoying all your beautiful creations!! You are a wonder. It is so good to see you back creating.

5. Donna G says:

Hi Jerri,
    LOVE your inspiration photo – too cute! We get all kinds of “critters” in our yard, too, and they’re such fun to watch. My little yorkie does the same as your dog: barks her head off, but hides behind me at the first sign of danger!
    I love your card – especially your pinecone! Is there anything you can’t design with your embossed flowers? You continue to amaze me with your talent.
    BTW, I’m sooo jealous that you are in Tennessee this weekend. That is my most favorite place to be, especially in October! Enjoy your visit.

6. I have so enjoyed seeing you back and making beautiful again! This card is no exception! You work miracles with flowers and I love that you add feathers. Just beautiful!

This is gorgeous, Jerri! I espcially love that pinecone.

Wow, this is beautiful and it does capture the feel of Fall here in Michigan.

Jerri, this is a gorgeous card and love the turkeys!

It is beautiful! I love the feather touch. We have turkeys around here but not in our yard. Maybe 6 blocks away and I see them when I take Lucy for our walks. She also barks but so far the turkeys just run faster. I can see her hiding behind me though if one came at her or looked at her. Love Baxter being the tough guy and then hiding when the going gets tough. So funny!

11. cepet says:

LOVE the pics, Jerri! No wild turkeys visit me :( Do have a blue heron that visits my pond on occasion, though. Nature can truly be inspiring. Enjoy your time in Nashville!

12. Clare says:

Jerri, your autumn card is fabulous! You’re in your “feather” mode! I’ve used feathers on mine too.

13. Deb Saaranen says:

Your flowers are just amazing Jerri–you really have to look twice to see that they are not gorgeously dried blossoms!

Have a wonderful weekend!

14. Conniecrafter says:

Oh my what a gorgeous creation, now that is a special card!!! Can I ask how you give these away, I am thinking you must give them in a box or maybe a decorative bag, You would hate to put it into an envelope of any kind, just curious because I sometimes think of making bigger detailed cards but then think I need to have something to put them in and that discourages me.

15. This is A-MAZING! Holy cow. I can’t believe you MADE those flowers. **sigh** So talented. Absolutely gorgeous! Have a great weekend! And thanks for the laughs about the turkeys!

16. Earline says:

This is truely amazing work you have done.

17. Lisa W says:

WOW! Amazing and gorgeous

18. Janine says:

This is truly an amazing piece of art Jerri!!

19. Well, I call this a work of art–I have no words. Gorgeous just doesn’t seem to be enough.

20. Jerri, This is just GORGEOUS!!!!! I would say that you truly captured nature with this masterpiece!!!!!! Well done girlie.

Blessigns,
    Deb

21. This is beyond incredible.. So much detail in this creation.. You always put so much thought into everything.. This is amazing..

22. Jenny Gropp says:

THe details are stunning as always on your creations. Those birds– wow to have them that close, but they sure are not the most attractive creatures…. lol! Don’t think they would have liked you plucking a feather for your card, was glad to hear that it was purchased!!
    Hope you had a great visit!!!

23. This is breathtakingly beautiful!!!

24. Wonderful inspiration, Jerri! Love both the flora and the fauna in this entertaining post. A beautiful card that makes a perfect Fall table decoration!

25. LOL, that’s funny….Baxter barked and then ran and hid behind you….cracked me up when I read that. Another OUTTA THIS WORLD, beautiful creation, girlie! :)

26. Gorgeous! Your amazing details really take this over the top! Beautiful card!

27. Amber Joy says:

WOW!! You always amaze me, girl! Another beautiful creation. Just one question, how in the world do you send that card cause it sure hasn’t shown up here yet 😉

This is nature at it’s finest, Jerri…your card is absolutely STUNNING!!!! I have got to make one of those pine cones…sooo cool and I love how you used the feathers!!!! How fun to see the turkeys in your back yard!! We had some ducks on our pond the other day but they don’t stay long because of the coyotes…what a bummer!!!