Oct 15 2010

Hard Rock Cafe – Stamp Simply #161

Hi!  I’m back today with Sharon and the Stamp Simply Design Team.  This week’s super fun challenge is:

“Today we are thinking *hard rocks* — NOT music – OR eating!!! LOL!!! Think metals and stones as added elements for your project. Metallic pens, metallic papers, and rhinestones — gold, silver and diamonds – right? Feel free to use copper, rubies, emeralds, pearls, etc. Use these types of beauties to embellish and enhance your work today – can’t WAIT to see!”

♣ ______________________♣

I love designing purses and couldn’t resist adding a lot of “hard rock” to this design .  .  . or should I say “heavy metal”!

I’ve designed a purse that is part fabric (DP) and part leather (EP).  I used Life’s Journey from K & Company for the fabric portions of the purse (I lined the inside of the purse as well) and used Wine Red paper for the embossed panels.  The leather panels were made by dry embossing Wine Red paper with a Cuttlebug folder and then wet embossing with Versamark Ink and clear embossing powder.  (I’m not sure if the terms “dry embossing” or “wet embossing” exist, but for ease of understanding the techniques used, I’m borrowing those terms for explanation in this post.)

A pad of graph paper, sketching pencils and a good erasure are always at my desk.  With a few tools (ruler, dies, corner punches, embossing folders), I play.  I sketched the frame of the purse first.  Using a few oval dies (Spellbinders) as templates, I sketched in the four corners and the purse handles.  I love that the dies can also function as handy tools.  A small oval die was used to sketch the flap with the three brads at the top center of the purse.  A panel created from a Labels 13 die is the focal point of the purse.  A Krylon pen is another fabulous tool to have. I used the 18Kt Gold pen to paint the buckles to match the brads.

The embossing folder wasn’t big enough to emboss the back side of the purse. To compensate, I embossed three sections and covered the seams with hand stitched strips (Lightning zapped my sewing machine . . . yikes . . . so the only stitching on the purse was done on the strips.  I would have loved to stitch the entire purse, but I was too lazy to do it all by hand.)

A lot of heavy metal here, brads and leaves were used to embellish the panel.  The cabbage rose was made with Spellbinders Blossom 2 dies.  Gold glass beads were adhered inside the rose.

The purse is a card that opens up with two inside pockets for gift cards or cash.  I outlined the layers of the pockets with a Krylon pen.  The K & Company paper is double sided, I used the reverse side of the rose pattern for the lining inside the purse. I didn’t want the brad posts showing, so I tucked the hinges/buckles of the purse’s handles inside the layers of paper. I wish my sewing machine wasn’t on the fritz, I would have loved to have had the stitching showing on the fabric paper.  Due to the shiny nature of the embossing, there’s a lot of glare on these photos.  The upper pocket looks like it has white dots on the embossing.  It’s actually blue glare due to natural sunlight reflecting off the embossed panel.

Place a couple of gift cards or cash in the pockets and you’re set to go.  This card is going to a friend as a birthday card.

♣_______________________♣

You’re all welcome and invited to play along in the challenge!  The SCS Keyword is ssnotime161 for those who upload at SCS.  There is no time limit, you can play as many times as you’d like and you can play the challenge anytime at all, there’s no time limit.  If you play along, be sure to link to Mr. Linky on Sharon’s blog so we can easily find you, we’d love to see your designs.  Please link the direct post, not your blog, for ease in finding the proper creation!

Be sure to check out the designs on the blogs of the Stamp Simply Challenge Design Team for inspiration:

Sharon Johnson:  No Time To Stamp?

Deb Neerman:  Paper, Scissors & Ink

Barbara Anders:  Paper Pursuits

Jenny Gropp:  One Krafty Kat

Janine Orchard:  2bKrafty

AJ Otto:  The Willow Garden

Deb Saaranen:  Dream In Color

Barb Schram:  Explore. Dream. Discover

Shopping:

A Touch of Grace – Paper BoutiqueWine Red embossing paper, Blossom 2 dies,  Versamark Ink, Embossing Tools, Embossing Mat, Perga Glue, 18Kt. Gold Krylon Pen

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  Have a wonderful weekend!

30 Responses to “Hard Rock Cafe – Stamp Simply #161”

1. Deb Saaranen says:

What a fabulous project Jerri! I love your wallet and purse designs…just wonderful for those gift cards and so more!

2. Debra says:

I love the leather look but can’t seem to find the same cuttlebug folder that you use. The only one that’s close is the tiny mosaic. Where might I find the one that you use? Thanks for all you do! I love your projects!

3. Jerri – over the top FAB design on that purse — gosh, will your friend be thrilled to pieces when she receives this!!! And a GREAT way to work this challenge with all the metal — WAY TO GO!!!

4. Deb Neerman says:

WoWzA, this is gorgeous, Jerri! Such an ambitious project … looks like you spent days creating this! I’m sure your friend will flip when she sees this treasure!

Have a fabulous weekend!

5. Cindy Lou says:

You never fail to bring a smile to my face 😉 I think you just helped me begin graduation cards for the female family members that will be graduating this year! How wonderful and thanks for sharing the ideas I love CASEing your projects as you well know. Thanks again! Beautiful, just beautiful!

6. Gayle says:

Jerri, I just cannot believe how beautiful this purse came out. I have never seen anything like it before. Your friends I’m sure would be totally thrilled w/this. What a smart idea. Congrats I really am impressed.

7. Michelle R says:

Your talent has no limits. This is totally gorgeous! But then, I drool over EVERYTHING you make. AWESOME, my friend. Absolutely awesome! :)

8. Barbara says:

OMG that purse is amazing !!

9. WOW!!! Stunning as usual Jerri. I love this. It looks totally real!!!

10. velta says:

Why am I not surprised at the detailed beautiy of this project Jerri? As always you put a smile on my face when I see your creations! I wonder if you are having the same insomnia that I have with posting so early in the morning…at any rate…this is a very detailed and gorgeous example of your talent, once again, another stunning and insiring creation :) I absolutely love it …Hugs and smiles :)

Could you make a pair of shoes to match this purse and maybe design a lovely dress or suit, too! Wow! What an elegant and creative purse.

This is beautiful Jerri!

13. Barbara Riefner says:

Wow Jerri – that is gorgeous!! You are just so creative to think of these things and design them. I really admire your talent.

14. Rosie Waldt says:

Jerri, this is totally awesome!!!!!!!! I do have some *leather look paper* in my stash in summer colors, what an inspiration you are!!!!! Your creativity just amazes me!! Thank you for sharing your talents. Rosie

15. Carolen says:

Thank you so much! You are such an inspiration!

I may not leave comments often but I am always
    checking in.

16. You always amaze me with these replicas! Fabulous purse, so realistic in design and detail…awesome work!

17. Heather T says:

That purse is so incredibly clever Jerri. Reminds me of the time you did the amazing leather wallet as a man’s card.
    Superb.

18. Conniecrafter says:

Oh wow this is amazing, at first glance you wouldn’t know it wasn’t a real purse, love how you did the inside too!! That is a bummer about your sewing machine, sounds like it is time to do some shopping :)

19. You are amazing, this is so adorable, what a great purse. The details are so amazing.

Jerri, this is simply gorgeous, gf! Your talent for creating is amazing…your purse looks so real…TFS all the details of how you designed this as well.

Wowzers!! I would never believe this was made with paper, if I didn’t know better. *wink* This is incredible, Jerri!!

22. Janine says:

HOLY MOLY!!! This is amazing Jerri!! Hope you had a great weekend!!

23. Silke Ledlow says:

Fabulous purse Jerri!!! This is so real looking…you could have fooled me…LOL!!! You rock girly!!! Hugs ~S~

24. OMGosh!! What a fabulous creation!!! Just amazing, Jerri!

25. This is gorgeous Jerri.. I love the leather look. Your attention to detail is always exceptional.. Great job.

WOW, girl…that is one AWESOME purse!!!! I love how you acheived the leather look and the design is right on!!!! This is gorgeous, Jerri!!!!

27. Donna says:

this is just gorgeous!!!!

28. Jenny Gropp says:

How is this paper? You take it to another world! Lovely, stunning, and super creative!

29. Beth Norman says:

Jerri, you are so blessed with talent. Another wonder project.

30. Beth Norman says:

Hi Jerri, I’m back. Wasn’t I surprised to see I was the last one to make a comment in Oct 22/10. Well, I’m back. I needed to come up with a man’s buckle for a cowboy card I’m working on and I knew you would be the one to turn to (or is it too). I think your handle idea might work. If you have a better suggestion I’d love to hear about it.

hugs,