Jan 05 2011

Denim Jacket

Published by at 10:45 pm under Paper Tole,SCS Design Team,Stampin' Up!

I’ve been quiet these past several days because I’m working on new designs that I’ll be posting later in the month.  I also have some exciting news that I’m sitting on that I’ll be sharing later on in the month as well.  But for now, I do have some exciting news that I can share.  I am now a Freelance Designer for the Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.  It’s such a perfect fit for me!  I adore May Arts silk ribbon and will be incorporating many other types of ribbons in my designs as well.  Thank you Sharon for having me on the team, I’m honored to share my designs using May Arts ribbons!

I’d like to share a design I did quite some time ago that I haven’t yet posted on my blog.

I gave my niece a Brighton denim jacket that had flower appliqués on it. It was my intention to purchase one for myself, but when I went back they were all gone. I found a beautiful lavender jacket by Anne Klein and splurged. I incorporated both styles when I made this card. I saw an adorable jacket card and purchased it. I used it as a template for this design. I traced the outline on water color paper and then sketched in the jacket lines. I traced over the sketched lines with a Versamarker and embossed with gold embossing powder. If I ever do this card again, I’ll use a Quickie Glue Pen instead of a Versamarker. I water colored the jacket the same color as my Anne Klein jacket. I stamped several images of flowers and water colored them. I used a craft knife to cut the flowers. I pieced the designs together on the jacket and adhered them in the same places that the appliqués were on the Brighton jacket (my niece graciously loaned me the jacket for reference).  I used mini gold brads for the buttons on the cuffs, pockets, and jacket front. I flattened the brads with the small hammer in my SU tool kit, going for a vintage button look.

Attached to the back of the jacket is a spray of roses.  I continued with the flowers around the hem and cuffs as was done on the Brighton jacket.

I stamped “You’re just my style” on the inside of the card from a retired Stampin’ Up! set and adhered more floral images to cover the brad prongs. Will I ever attempt this project again?  Maybe . . . . it’s been a few years and I have more experience under my belt .    .    . LOL!

I’ll be back later in the week with a post offering up some super terrific blog candy, you don’t want to miss it.  Hope to see you then!

Paper hugs and blessings,

55 Responses to “Denim Jacket”

1. mary says:

OH. MY. GOSH. That is just gorgeous. I want to pick it up and put it on! I would NEVER be able to send that card to anyone. It would go in my “Card Hall of Fame” behind locked glass!
    There is a lot of work in it and it is done beautifully! Thanks for sharing it!

2. WOW! That jacket is stunning and oh so clever! Hey, what is a Freelance Designer? I am excited to have you on the team in any capacity, but that term is new to me. Congrats and I can’t wait to hear what is coming at the end of the month!! Hugs to you my friend!

What a wonderful way to incorporate the inspiration from “real life” into your card. And it is such a beautiful card! I always look forward to your posts to see what you will create next, for each post holds a treasure. This was no exception.

4. Just gorgeous, Jerri! LOVE the jacket — what a GREAT and fun card to give!!! So happy to have you freelancing for The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store. The Silk is always a perfect compliment to your over the top gorgeous creations! Welcome, my friend!!!!

5. Carol Southern says:

What a magnificent creation, just stunning. It sounds like you have some exciting things coming up.
    Good for you.

6. Congrats on your new freelance news, Jerri!!! I’m very anxious to hear the rest of your “news” and this jacket card is over the top! Love it, love it, love it :)) It’s always such a pleasure to see your new creations and, btw, I HAVE to say….this particular card would also make up very nicely in parchment!!

Best wishes to you in the New Year, my friend….

7. Gorgeous….that all…..just Gorgeous!

8. Ursula Uphof says:

This is just so fantastic. Congrats on your appointment as a freelance designer. I am sure you will be so successful. Can’t wait to hear your other news. Just love coming to have a look at your creations, and looking at your designs through the year was just so inspirational. I wish you and your family a truly wonderful year and may you achieve what you most desire. Warm wishes.

9. Mickie says:

YES, that is just MY STYLE! LOL I love this card, I am a denim gal!! You do such beautiful work, wish I had just a smidgen of your talent!

How very clever and creative to use the kacket card as a template. This is so adorable.

11. cepet says:

Major congrats on your Freelance position, Jerri! That truly is some wonderful news!
    Your jacket is to die for, simply marvelous!

12. Donna G says:

Hi Jerri,
    Congratulations on your good news! Your talented artwork combined with elegant SS ribbon is a winning combination!
    Your jacket card is gorgeous! I can’t imagine the real jacket being any prettier than the card. You continue to amaze me with your attention to detail and your creativity. Thanks for sharing.
    God Bless,
    Donna G

13. Grats on the freelance designer position and the upcoming news. What a beautiful take on what must be a beautiful jacket. Lovely card!

Beautiful! Congrats on your new “job” assignment!. I get her blog as well so I will see you often!

15. Silke Ledlow says:

OMG…this is over the top cute and AWESOME! L.O.V.E your denim jacket! Sharon is one lucky lady to have you on her team! Have a fabulous day my sweet friend! Hugs ~S~

16. Lynne Hurlburt says:

What a beautiful job. But you always do such beautiful things. Have a great day!! Hugs n’ Stuff, Lynne

17. Mary Lee K. says:

This is absolutely gorgeous!!! Right up my alley as something I would wear w/ excitement.
    You are Blessed w/ an incredibly, wonderful artistic gift!!! I am brand new 2 your blog & am filled w/ anticipation of what is yet to come!

Congrats on your recent good news!!! Thank you so much for sharing your talents w/ us!

18. This is so breath taking, love the jacket on the card and who would not love to have a jacket like that? I am so happy you splurged! LOVE it.

19. Judy Covey says:

OMG Jerri, only you would create something this gorgeous! How many hours do you think that you put into making this denim jacket card? I’m an extremely slow card-marker, so if it took you three or four hours, it would take me “at least” a whole day!

20. Dottie Davis says:

This card is nothing short of awesome! Being a card maker I don’t venture out to the card shops at all anymore but after this I think I will just to get ideas and patterns. I am intrigued with what you have up your sleeve for the site. Also, congrads on your new freelancing assignment with May Arts Ribbon…they were smart to get you. Onward and upward!

21. Dottie Davis says:

I just looked at the card again trying to figure out where it opened and saw the difficulty lay in the shadow lines under the collar that LOOKED SO REAL that I missed it. Jerri, can I have your autograph?! LOL.

22. Linda Bullard says:

Oh my word! You never cease to amaze!!! So gorgeous and so very special. And Sharon is one smart cookie for signing you on! Linda

23. Deb Saaranen says:

FABulous as always! So fun to have you designing for the Stamp Simply Ribbon Store as well–welcome Dear Lady!

24. Cathy Hughes says:

Oh Jerri, this is so beautiful and….sorry but, I am glad you missed out on that jacket. How else would you have been inspired to create this!

25. Kay G. says:

I love this card. Jerri, it is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.

26. Terre Munk says:

Oh my, Jerri! This jaqcket is stunning! The original jacket couldn’t be any more appealing than your card. Your background looks just like fabric. What a work of art! If I were to be able to do something like this (which i’m not) I’d horde is and not send it out! Thanks for sharing. Oh, and congrats on your design team appointment.

27. Tracy says:

This is incredible Sherry! So clever and stunningly beautiful. Thanks for sharing this with us.

28. Tracy says:

Whoops! Sorry Jerri. Had a little mental lapse there with your name. I think I was still reeling from this amazing project. :-)

29. Cindy Lou says:

Love the jacket card! So cute, fashionable and detailed. Whoever gets this sent to them will know that they are indeed special to you.
    As far as your new position with Sharon as a freelance designer, now that was a no brainer! You are so gifted and talented, and Sharon is a very persecptive designer as well, she can’t go wrong having you on her team! Congratulations to both you and Sharon on this new Team adventure, I am sure both of you will be tickled with this relationship, I know I will be. Have a great and exciting day/week, I am sure you have lots to do. Blessings!

30. alex says:

nice card i love the colors and the flowers….

thank’s

Jerri, this is just beautiful and I love your colors you used. Congrats to you for being chosen to be a designer for Stamp Simply…you will be a welcome asset to them w/your gorgeous designs and artistic ability.

32. Jerri, this is stunning!!
    My goodness the patience that you have! :)
    it really is just gorgeous I love everything about it.

I can’t wait to see what your news is going to be! I know it will be wonderful whatever it is.
    And Congratulations on your new design consulting position, can’t wait to see what you have in store for us!

I also have been meaning to thank you for your kind words about our Angel.
    I didn’t see it until a few days later, I had been afraid to look at the post again.
    But it was so sweet of you.
    Before we started to have dogs or pets in our lives I never quite understood that pain of loosing them. I mean it was horrible as a child when you lost a pet, but I always thought that that was just because of being a child,…..nope!
    I will keep you a your kitty in my prayers. I know that decision is sometimes unbearable.
    We have had 3 dogs in the last 3 years with cancer. I mean what are the odds, right!?
    If you are intrested I have a cancer diet that I think will slow down the growth of the cancer.
    Probably shouldn’t have written this all here,…sorry.

Peace be with you Jerri!
    And Congratulations!! So exciting for you and for Us!!

Hugs,
    mary

33. Beth Norman says:

So precious, Jerri. Happy New Year to you and your family.

34. Mary Mac says:

INGENIOUS AND OH SO BEAUTIFUL.

Congrats on your Freelance Designer position – THEY are very fortunate people.

With love.

35. Tonniece says:

As with all your designs this is stunning and unique Jerri……………… WOW
    LOVE IT!!!!!

TFS
    HUGS
    Tonniece

This is gorgeous Jerri, I bet that Anne Klein jacket is too, I love that color. The details are amazing, I especially love the roses on the back shoulder, just gorgeous! Congrats on the Stamp Simply Ribbon store DT too, you will do them a ton of business featuring all of their products. I’ll have to see what they have.

37. Amy Johnson says:

What a creative idea! I love it!

38. Congratulations, Jerri! You’re right, it’s a perfect fit for you to be on Sharon’s team. You’re such a huge ENABLER with her ribbon, lol! I remember this jacket…..so awesome!!

39. Janet Castle says:

WOW…what a lot of work…but, so well worth it! You did a beautiful job! You should send a picture of it to the company that made the original jacket….who knows, maybe they will send you one!
    Hugs,

40. jean wilson says:

Wow that is one awesome card! As always your details are just gorgeous! Congrats on the DT with Sharon.

41. Such beautiful coloring Jerri! Such a fun project!

42. Carol says:

Congratulations on the DT position. Your ‘denim jacket’ is gorgeous. I love seeing what you create and you never disappoint me. Looking forward to your creations at Stamp Simply.

43. Congrats, Jerri! How fun for you and Sharon. Now on to this card… HOLY SMOKES!!!!!! LOVE this. What a fabulous design!!

44. Elaine Moore says:

OH – MY – GOODNESS – GRACIOUS – SAKES!!!! This is just an incredible card. What about doing a tutorial and sharing the template with us?????

45. Tosh says:

What a beauty Jerri! It’s always a treat to visit your blog and see what you have up your sleeve!!

46. Maz says:

Hi Jerri!
    happy new year to you.
    What an awesome jacket. I thought it was real. You are so creative. a true artist.
    Congratulations on your new post. They are so lucky to have you.
    I love the flowers on the jacket. They are colored so beautifully as always.
    It is such a pleasure looking at all your creations.
    Hugs Maz

47. Chris K says:

Stunning!

48. That is so cool, wow I can’t imagine cutting out all those little flowers. Before I saw the last picture I was wondering how it opened. I didn’t know you could emboss with glue, never thought about it. I bought an embossing pen awhile back thinking I could hand write and emboss and the pen just didn’t work that well.

Holy cow Jerri! This is gorgeous. I can only imagine what you’d do with the design now that, as you say, you’ve got more experience under your belt.
    I love my little denim jacket. It’s got rinestones here and there on it, and big rinestone buttons too. Makes it just girly enough for me. I do think I’d love the lavender one though! Lucky girl! Ann Kline!
    Congrats on the new design team membership.I know you’ll bring lots of great designs to the table!
    Hugs, Jess

I LOVE your denim jacket with all of the tiny feminine flowers all over!! I totally love how it opens as well!! So pretty, and so perfect, Jerri!!

51. Susie says:

Jerri, I’ve been soaking up your blog the past several days — I’m completely mesmerized with the beauty of each and every piece of work. What woman wouldn’t want to have one of these creations given to her as a gift. Absolutely gorgeous!!

52. Carole RB says:

Hi Jerri

OMG this is so gorgeous!

53. Susan S. says:

Soooo pretty!!! Your work is inspirational!

Congrats, Jerri…how wonderful to be on Sharon’s team!!! Your jacket is absolutely FABULOUS…WOW!!! You should be making your own stamps, girl…I’ll want to be on your team!!!!

55. Mary says:

So great to see this style from you! I love it! Hope to see more:)