Mar 07 2011

Can Masculine Also Be Classy Classic?

I believe so! What do you think?

Not all men are the athletic type, or like fishing, or hunting or camping. They may enjoy watching sports, but does that mean they want a “sports” card for every occasion? So, for all those men out there who prefer classy classic to manly outdoors, this one’s for you.

Okay, actually it’s for my dad who loves fishing and Nascar. But he’s already received a gazillion fishing and Nascar cards over the years, enough to wallpaper his bedroom  .   .   .  LOL! My mom assured me he would love a classy card so here it is Dad.

I have a confession, I cheated .    .    .  er  .    .    .  somewhat   .    .    .  I took a store bought card (CVS) and doctored it up a bit, or in paper craft language, I altered it. It wasn’t that I especially loved the card when I saw it in the store, I loved the paper. I searched for black and gold designer paper everywhere and couldn’t find it so I decided to alter the card. I love how it turned out!

I stamped and embossed the focal image and sentiment with gold Encore ink and Ranger gold super fine embossing powder on black cardstock using JustRite’s Kindness stamp set (coordinates with Spellbinders™ Labels 20dies) and JustRite’s You Inspire Me set (birthday sentiment). I placed black silk ribbon and gold edged black sheer ribbon under the focal image and wrapped the ribbons around to the inside of the card (see photo below).

I cut Spellbinders™ Foliage fern leaves and the bottom panel of Labels 20 on black card stock and applied Martha Stewart black flocking powder to match the background paper of the card. I drew around the edges with a Krylon 18Kt. gold pen.

I like the sentiment on the inside and left it as is and added accents using Spellbinders™ Fleur de Lis Doily Accents, a perfect match to the Fleur de Lis in the sentiment.

Voilá  .   .   .  card finished! I hope Dad likes it!

Supplies:

Stamps:  JustRite Kindness; JustRite You Inspire me (Stamp Simply Ribbon Store)

Paper:  Black, Gold

InkEncore Gold (A Touch of Grace – Paper Boutique)

Ribbon:  Black Silk 1.5″; Gold Edged Black Sheer .75″ (Stamp Simply Ribbon Store

Cutting Dies:  Labels 20; Foliage; Fleur de Lis Doily Accents (Spellbinders™ Paper Arts)

AccessoriesGold Embossing Powder, Zip Dry Adhesive, Joy! Craft Dimensional Foam Tabs, Krylon 18Kt. Gold Pen, Heating Tool, Gold Pearls, Martha Stewart Black Flocking Powder

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit today!

68 Responses to “Can Masculine Also Be Classy Classic?”

1. Carole RB says:

Hi Jerri
    Very elegant and beautiful card!
    Have a nice week!

2. Jaline says:

Gorgeous card, very classy.

Perfect! I love the black and gold, and your creativity in going with something other than the predictable sports/car racing thing. Brilliant!!

4. Rebekka says:

This is just gorgeous! Black and gold is always so elegant together.

5. Sheila - UK says:

Very, very classy Jerri and soooooooo elegant. The black and gold are so striking….ideal for a man’s card, I love it.

Love Sheila xx

6. Marion says:

Question: Can Masculine Also Be Classy Classic?”
    Answer: Certainly if Jerri B has a hand in it!

You’ve done it again young lady. Another entirely original card and a perfect solution to the problem of making cards for men.

Well done Jerri, it’s a smasher.

Marion
    UK

7. Heather Peel says:

Wow . This is certainly very classy .dare i say sexy .i love it ..it looks very elegant .for a very classy elegant man .love the blk leaves on it as well .Youve made another wonderful creation Jerri.thank you for sharing .hugs Heather

8. Susan says:

Another stunner Jerri…I love it,

I have a brothers birthday coming up in 10 days so I think I will be producing something on the same lines

Thanks Jerri

9. Barbara R. says:

I don’t know how your Dad could help but love it, and what a great idea – to alter a store bought card!!! I never even though of that. I usually stay out of the card section of the store. Now I have another way to spend my money!!

10. Karla Fraizer says:

Like always another great one!!!!

11. Anne says:

You always know how to make a twist on your cards….I can’t help but love it !!! Your card is always a WOW factor to me!! Great work, Jerri!! This inspires me to do a man’s card for an old friend’s coming birthday!!

12. Phil Droney says:

absolutely classy – it is just a WOW card love it

13. I love how you altered the card. It is a very classy card and I think it works perfect for a mans card.

14. Oh gosh, Jerri……I have to admit I have done this, a time, or two, or three throughout my journey through life but none of my altered work ever came close to being as drop dead gorgeous as this awesome beauty!!! I can see why you were smitten with the black and gold paper……perfect for any guy :))

You’ve created yet another awesome piece of art that any man, in his right mind, would truly hold onto as a treasured keepsake.

15. bonnie weiss says:

Answer to the question …. well it certainly would appear that the answer is YES! Another stunning Jerri Original!

Yes, it is perfectly classy and yet very masculine. YOur dad will lvoe it.

17. cepet says:

Oh, wow! Jerri, any man would be pleased to receive this gorgeous creation.

Simply amazing!

18. bethann d says:

anyone would be thrilled to get this, i love it. classyelegance personified.

19. So rich and elegant……just beautiful……and to have been a store bought card….well you made it so much better…..truly inspirational…..tfs

20. Barbara T says:

Great card Jerri. My hubby is one that would love this card. He is a brainy type of guy who reads voraciously. He is aware of sports b/c he read about them but doesnt watch them. KWIM. Keep more of these coming. I would have loved to see the before and after the alteration.

21. Teri says:

Wow! Gorgeous as usual! VERY elegant.

22. Carol Parks says:

Wow, gorgeous card, Jerri.

23. LindaMar says:

It is very elegant AND masculine enough to send to a man! I like that you put so much thought to WHO is receiving your creations. It is always evident, and shows how much you care. Simply gorgeous!!!

24. Jenny Gropp says:

Stunning— super classy and sleek!

25. Cindy Lou says:

It truely is a classy masculine card! Beautiful and you rock starting with a card you found somewhere else! I have done that before, and my hubby says that’s cheating, but sometimes you just can’t find exactly what you need to get your project completed without a touch of help from someone/thing else. This is a gorgeous card, your father will be so pleased you think so much of him. Blessings!

26. Barbara says:

This is really a beautiful, elegant card. It would be perfect for anyone! Thanks for the ideas for masculine cards without sports, etc. My husband doesn’t fish or hunt, and it’s sometimes hard to come up with ideas. This is perfect!

27. Susan says:

Wonderful! It is always difficult to find the inspiration for Mens cards.

This card is stunning Jerri, I’m sure your Dad will cherish it.

29. Carol Pinkey says:

Ingenious AND Classy!!! Such an amazing card.

30. Donna says:

Absolutely elegant and classy! Perfect for that professional man. Thanks for the fabulous inspiration.

31. Carolyn says:

That is an absolutely “fabulous” card. You never cease to amaze.

32. Selma says:

This is very classy indeed. It is gorgeous. Your dad will feel very special when he receives this card. I’m sure he is very proud of every card you have ever given him. Your work is always fantastic.

33. Ursula Uphof says:

Love it, Very classic and elegant and I am sure your Dad will love it.

Love it and I totally agree. My husband isn’t into sports that much, though he does like camping and outdoorsy things.

35. Elly says:

Wow a gorgeous card, really classy in those colors.

36. Terry Glover says:

Super fabulous card! Especially since I just bought some FAB paper that will work great with a card like this. You might want to check it out – it’s from Kanbancrafts.us (look under background papers – the paper I have is Bella Paisley Mocha – but the Bella Paisley Chocolate looks fab too. My local store just started carrying it. Can’t wait to make a card for my son like yours…. thanks for all the sharing you do!

37. Wow! that is beautiful and thanks for sharing it with us. Cards for the men in my family have always been tough to make.

38. Kristine Vencel says:

WOW! It IS elegant & classy & beautiful! Thanks for sharing your “secret” to this card.

39. Dottie Davis says:

Jerri, I am sitting here laughing so hard, so full of joy and laughter as I opened up your newsletter and found another awesome gorgeous card. I can’t wipe the smile off my face! You never cease to amaze me. I, too, am tired of the sporty, car, bike, fishing cards, though they are right for the moment, if I made a card like this for my hubby he would be floored and love it! I wish I could hug you, as I am rejoicing in your very artistic gift.

40. velta says:

Oh my Jerri ~ Elegant to the MAX!!! Your dad will love this card. I will bet he has saved every card you have ever made for him! Wallpaper his room with them would be a great idea…LOL…and talk about a conversation piece…Have a great week my friend!

41. Janine says:

WOW!! Jerri This is SO incredible!! Just gorgeous…

42. Monika/buzsy says:

It sure looks classy! Love the black and gold… so elegant. :o)

43. I know what you mean, between birthdays and fathers day I have done so many fishing cards for my Dad that it’s crazy, Love this look and great idea to use a store bought card and just spruce it up, like your addition to the inside sentiment too!

44. Sherry K says:

A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do when she has an idea – and what an idea you had with this lovely pattern…..I’m sure your dad will love it….its a handsome looking card.

45. Frances says:

Absolutely gorgeous, and very elegant. loved the embossed details. hugs. Frances.

46. Very elegant to say the least. I am glad to know that it is ok to recycle cards making them a piece of art. I do that too when I can’t find what I want.. It is fun to take a thought and recreate it.. Thank you again for your ingenuity and sharing. Hugs, Dottie

47. Mrs. Ham says:

Wow!! What a beautiful card, as usual. I love that you altered a card you bought. I’ll have to try that sometime. I have a difficult time when it comes to making masculine cards for my husband. I usually try to make a card out of his favorite color which is smoky gray, try finding beautiful papers in that color (difficult). But, this time with the help of Mojo Monday, I was able to make a decent masculine card that included his favorite color. He loved it.

48. Angel Hawks says:

Wow! Another Stunning work of art! How DO you DO it?!

49. Rita says:

Yes….this is stunning….I love love love all of your creations…such inspiration….

50. Carolyn S says:

Gorgeous card filled with love and hand made elegance.

51. Mary Roberson says:

This is stunning…I’m sure he will love it. Its elegant too.
    Never thought to alter a store bought card before, thats a great idea!

Hey Jerri,
    Well, if you’d never told me you altered a card, I’d never have known! It’s just gorgeous, as always. And it is classy, and a long way from Nascar and fishing cards. I too have out used those same cards for the men in my life. Of course they’d never complain, but I like to surprise them. Thanks for sharing your creative talents. You know I love all of your creations. Hugs, Jessica

53. Eunice Brown says:

Good Morning Jerri,
    I wish I had 1/10th of your talent. Your creations are amazing!!! Thanks for sharing another gorgeous card. EB

54. Hi Jerri!
    This card is gorgeous! Your Dad is going to Love it!
    This is a great tip!
    And I love the flocking on our die cuts, that really adds to the elegance!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Hope you are having a wonderful week!

Blessings and Hugs,
    Mary

55. Janet Castle says:

I have one word for your card “STUNNING”! Your Dad will love it!!! It is definitely a classy classic!

56. Susan Bugalski says:

Masculine cards are so difficult and I agree how many fishing and NASCAR cards can one have. This is positively stunning. I love it.

57. Jeannette Jones says:

This inspires me to do something similar for a couple of male birthday cards that are coming up soon. Thanks you so much for the inspiration and sharing your incredible creativity with all of us.

58. Tonniece says:

I so hate doing cards for men, so thanks for this. It’s lovely Jerri and so non sports or auto related.

Hugs
    Tonniece

59. amy johnson says:

I think it’s very masculine, especially for a sophisticated man that may not be into sports and beer, but wears a suit and drives an expensive luxury car.

60. Linda Duke says:

Oh my!! This is gorgeous Jerri. But everything you make is… I want to me you when I grow up lol!!! Wow, I can’t stop looking at it 😉

61. Karen says:

LOVE this card!!!! Masculine cards can be difficult. Wonderful & Classy card.

62. Jerri- Love the masculine flair of your birthday card!!

63. kit says:

Very elegant card. Definitely a great card for dad.

What a great idea to alter the card…especially if the paper on it is just perfect!!! The labels 20 die is my new favorite and I love how you layered them!!! The black and gold color combo is beautiful…such classic elegance!!!!

65. Wendy says:

simply stunning, it may be a brought card but youve done an amazing job with it

Wendy xx

66. Patti says:

If your father doesn’t like it – you can send it to me. Beautiful, classy like Cary Grant. Ummm…Thanks Jerri

67. You’re on fire! This is a huge WOW!

68. Paula Gale says:

I completely agree Jerri – there are only so many times and cards you can send someone with the same theme each year – I suppose it becomes predictable! My Son always gets a ‘tennis’ card, my husband always a ‘golf’ one. So you had completely the right idea.

Also – you didn’t cheat – you resourced the base card as you would do anything else to make a card, be it embellishment, insert, topper etc… it just happened to be a base card – thats all. Its what you did with it and where you took it that counts. You wouldn’t think yourself a cheat if you bought an embellishment to put on it… I know you were saying it ‘tongue in cheek’ – but you really did a fantastic job for your dad. The only predictable thing about it is that it will be as stunning as any card you ever make.

Its exactly what you said it would be – classy!

Paula (UK) x x x