Mar 16 2011

Vintage Tags and Altered Tin

Today is the last of the vintage designs I made using the teal paper from K & Co’s Ancestry papers. Believe it or not I’ve had the paper for a few years and have been hoarding it. Why do we do that??? There are many other patterns in the pad that are just as yummy! I’m glad I finally took it out and played with it!

I’ve altered a three inch round tin. I started by covering the bottom of the tin with the teal floral pattern I used throughout the designs. I used 1/4″ double sided tape to adhere the paper to the can. The tape is super tacky so if you don’t get the paper on perfect, you’ll rip it trying to re-position it.  Here’s a tip: After placing the tape on the can, remove the red plastic strip and apply Perga Glue to the tape.  That gives a few extra seconds to work with the paper, ensuring it adheres to the can perfectly.

I’ve removed the lid so that you can better see the paper adhered to the bottom of the can. Two borders from the Parisian Accents dies were edged in Krylon 18Kt. Gold and adhered to the can using Perga Glue. I love the lacy look of the can.

Altering the top of the can was a lot of fun! I placed leaves (Foliage dies) completely around the edge of the lid, attaching with Perga Glue (it dries very quick, grabs tights and provides a permanent bond). Using an extra large embossing ball and an embossing pad, I gently cupped the doily from Parisian Motifs and adhered it over the leaves. Flowers (Blossom Three dies) were placed on the doily, as well as leaves (Foliage, Carnation Creation dies), Prima Mini Gypsoflowers, and a bit of baby’s breath. A large, lacy butterfly (Fanciful Flight dies) was perched atop the left edge of the lid. A few Prima flowers were placed around the perimeter on the leaves as well.

I covered the upper portion of the lid with a 1/4″ strip of the teal paper (around the side of the lid). A Krylon 18Kt. Gold pen was used to draw on all edges throughout the project.

A view of the back of the can showing how I covered the seam where the borders meet up.

Also included are six coordinating gift tags, one to give with each Notecard. They were easy to make. I cut six floral tags and six teal tags using a die from the Parisian Accents dies. I cut the scrolls from the teal tags and adhered them over the scrolls on the floral tags. 1/16″ dyed silk ribbon was attached to the tags, Swarovski Crystals and Brass Beads were added to the ribbon. The ribbon tails are 5 inches long, perfect to tie onto a bag or attach to a bow. I left enough room on the tag to write the recipient’s name.

Tutorials and Tools for making the flowers can be found at the bottom of this post.

Supplies used

Dies: Blossoms ThreeFoliage, Carnation Creations, Parisian Accents; Parisian Motifs, Fanciful FlightGrand Caliber,  (Spellbinders™)

Accessories: Embossing PadEmbossing ToolsKrylon 18Kt. Gold PenPerga Glue, Prima Mini Gypso Flowers, (A Touch of Grace – Paper Boutique); Swarovski crystal beads, gold pearls, brass filigree beads (Michael’s), 1/16″ silk ribbon

PaperAncestry (Stamp Simply Ribbon Store)

Ink: Vintage Photo, Teal

Thank you so much for stopping by today!

44 Responses to “Vintage Tags and Altered Tin”

1. velta says:

Okay…Jerri!!! This is it….I am moving to (is it Tampa?) We must spend some time together so I can learn more from you…so tell your hubby, your family…to just “move out!” Hey, do not blame me…this is YOUR fault…you should not post such gorgeous, stunning, beautiful creations…I guess now, you are not going to give me your addy…WAIT…I have friends…I can find you…….

Enough of my “small” talk…I love this…the aqua colors are just captivating and your flowers are perfect! Thank you for sharing your art with us.

Here is wishing your and yours the best of the rest of the week!!

2. Glenda says:

Another Stunning creation! You just keep cranking them out one after another! I’m not sure, I think it is Teal color that has me gushing! I love all your creations, but the recent ones arre just beyond words! Well done my friend!

3. Sheila-Uk says:

Oh WOW!How stunning is this? I’m with Velta on this but I’ll have a long journey across the ‘pond’! Lol!
    I’ve probably said it many times before but I am truly in awe of your exquisite art creations and I thank you so much for all the inspiration Jerri. It gives me so much pleasure to visit your beautiful blog…I always look forward as a subscriber to get an alert to say that you have put another beautiful creation on your blog. Can’t wait to see what you come up with now that you finished with those stunning ancestry papers.

Love Sheila xx

PS Thank you for sending me some mojo!

4. Phil Droney says:

oh so lovely you are anazing

5. Heather Peel says:

Well Jerri . This has a wow factoor of 100%.What a wonderful idea as well. The tags are stunning .i just love everything about it .you keep coming back with glorious creations .You really do make my day .when i see my emails and most are boring .and then ,i see A Touch of Grace it lifts my spiriits high. This collection has been truly magnificent,and ive loved every single peice youve made .You did say you wanted my address to send them didnt you He he he .what a joy it must be to recieve something of your work .WOW.thank you for giving me the motivation to try .hugs Heather

6. Linda Rich says:

Unbelievable, you are an amazing designer. I am in awe, have a great day!

7. Carol Pinkey says:

Jerri, I am in awe of your creations!! They are so beautiful and elegant. If you taught classes, I would find a way to attend. Thank you for sharing. Carol

8. Wow, so gorgeous!!!! Love the flowers and dies you used!
    You’re such an inspiration!

Gr. Corine

Another breath-taking project, Jerri! The can is exquisite and the tags are as well. Someone will love getting this as a gift.

10. Anne says:

Gosh!! How you can have so much creatvie juices running inside your head! I feel so dumb every time I see your creations. It is simply stunning!! Everything is very detailed and elegant…..I cannot find any words to describe it further!! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!!

11. Jen says:

Just stunning I would not want to use those gift tags!!! Keep them all to myself they are just lovely though everything you make is just gorgeous!!!

Just takes your breath away! I don’t know why we hoard paper but I have the same problem and if you ever figure it out or a 12 step program for it please let me know! I have way too much and when I go to purge it I end up giving away maybe 2 pieces out of a thousand! And if I use it then I won’t HAVE it anymore and what if I WANT it again????

13. Rebekka says:

Jerri, your can is stunning! the colors and that paper is beautiful. Love how you dressed the butterfly in pearls.

14. Becky Jo says:

So elegant and beautiful! You seem to outdo yourself all the time. Every cell in your body must be creative! Love this project! TFS Hugs!!

15. Dottie Davis says:

Paper hoarding…I am so glad to hear I have fellow crafters who fall into “its too beautiful to use right now, I’ll save it for something special” group. Whenever I see beautiful paper my hubby laughs as I touch it, turn it over, and stare! Even as a child I loved beautiful paper. To my utmost delight I found in my stash this same pack of Ancestry paper by K & K. So, thanks to Jerri, I will now get busy, slice and dice the paper, and share it with others in hopefully some pretty cards.

16. Angela says:

Oh this is totally amazing Jerri! What a stunning design. Your work is always on another level! I love the colors you work with and gold edging really creates an elegant effect! So beautiful! hugs, Angela

17. Barbara L says:

Jerri, I’m with the other commenters (is that a word?). I want to come learn from you. Please teach us!! Your creations are THE BEST!

18. Carolyn says:

Absolutely gorgeous as usual! I am glad I am not the only one who hoards paper – always saving it for the “perfect project”. Your projects are always perfect.

19. bethann d says:

lovely, stunning, i’m out of words to say how gorgous everything you make is. why do we save our beautiful paper???? and our fav embellies? or anything else for that matter?? the things i make would be so much better if i used my fav things but it is so hard to bring myself to use them.

20. Magnificent……I absolutely love this, TOO!!!!!! I don’t think there’s anything you’ve done that I don’t just love…… thank you so much for all your inspiration which is truly remarkable…..you diffidently get my creativity juices flowing….now if I can get my DH to eat a whole can of peanuts maybe I can TRY to make something too……tfs

21. Ursula Uphof says:

Wonderful project Jerri and I love that paper. It is again a stunning creation, Warm wishes and have a great weekend.

22. Jeanne Kelly says:

That is absolutely stunning! Love the butterfly – it looks like metal…

Stunning, totally stunning!

24. Lynne says:

Thanks for sharing Jerri, beautiful and so inspiring. Amazing how we keep those papers but sometimes it pays as they were just waiting for the right project.

25. Fab says:

I am just dumbfounded and in awe of your talent. I wish you would start giving classes. I have tried to replicate your work and just cannot. I would also love to see your craft room. Post pictures please. I bet you have every gadget, inks, dies, paper, cardstock, embellishments, etc. that are available. I am the same way about hording paper. I just think it is a papercrafter thing, because everybody I talk to is the same way. Happy Paddy’s day to you and keep sending this absolutely gorgeous inspiration. We all do appreciate it.

Fab

26. Thank you Jerri for another wonderful idea. I too try and recreate your work, but to no avail. hahaha.. You are one of a kind! I go on to create my own which are not as stunning, but folks like them just the same. So I continue to get inspiration from your work, so keep the ideas flowing. Hugs, Dottie

27. Debby Walker says:

Jerri, this entire collection has been quite stunning. Thank you so much for sharing yourself with us. Hugs

Oh, this tin is spectacular! Everything in this set takes my breath away, actually. Each piece is exquisite. Thank you so much for sharing your art with us. It is sooooo inspiring!

29. Faith says:

You create such elegant things. They always take my breath away!

30. Mary Gutierrez says:

Jerri, I sure would love to be your neighbor. I have to tell you I tried…lol….I tried making the mum..I used the tutorials..followed them step by step..well except the arabic powder ..I intstead used the tattered angels mist..to give them a glow…I just couldn’t make them curl like yours…anyway…I’m not giving up..will try again and again. Love your work, you’re so inspiring.

31. I’m speechless. Just so stunning. Hugs to you Jerri!

32. Janet Castle says:

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

Lovely as always Jerri! And those tags are gorgeous! Were your ears ringing last Satirday afternoon? I was at my computer whe my youngest son, Matt, and his sweet Tina came in. As we completed the round of hugs, Tina said “Oh that’s pretty!” So I turned and remembered your blog was up. So of course I had to say this is pretty but wait till you see some of her other stuff! So she and I proweled around your blog for about a half hour as I showed you off like a kid does for Show and Tell! lol Of course you know I love your work, but now one of my baby girls loves your work too! Well she’s not a baby, but she’s one of mine! Maybe I’ll commission something from you for her birthday gift. Well more like Christmas, since her birthday is only a couple of weeks away! lol
    Thanks a bunch for sharing your wonderful taste and talent.
    Hugs, Jess

34. Beautiful! Smart tip about the glue, because you are correct about that tape tearing the paper. Also I don’t know if it works, but I think I heard to use a hair dryer to warm the tape and then carefully pull back. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creations with us.

35. Barbara R. says:

Just gorgeous Jerri- you certainly have a beautiful talent that inspires us all. I love seeing your work!!!

Your altered tin is incredibly beautiful, Jerri!! That delicate butterfly is soooo pretty, and I love the tag!!

37. alex says:

Another Stunning creation! You just keep cranking them out one after another!I wish you would start giving classes.thank you so much for all your inspiration which is truly remarkable,I don’t think there’s anything you’ve done that I don’t just love

38. Oh my what a Lovely set, I just love your idea for the topper to the tin, I just love this paper too, so glad you decided to break into the pack :) The tag is just amazing!

39. Ohhhhh, such a gift you have for this sort of project! Well, any sort of project, really. Everything you do is spellbinding. Ummmm, didn’t mean that as a pun because you design for Spellbinders. I mean you cast a spell… I enter a trance when I view your beautiful projects. It must be so much fun and so satisfying to create these little works of art!

40. Denise says:

You seriously take “paper” crafting to a WHOLLLLLLLE new level because your work never looks like just paper. Incredible, girl!

41. Janelle says:

So beautiful! Love this tin.

Ooooh, I love the colors on this gorgeous project, Jerri, and how the foliage drapes over the sides of the lid….FABULOUS!!!!

43. Connie K says: