Mar 30 2011

Easter Basket Tutorial

Hi girls, today I have the tutorial for the baskets on the Easter banner I designed for Spellbinders™ Bunny Hop last week. I’ll be back with the ribbon tutorial later in the week.

For those of you who may have missed the pennant tutorial, I thought I’d try something new and fun! When I get to the last of the tutorials, showing how I wove the ribbon through the pearls and attached it to the back of the pennant, I’m offering the completed tutorial project as blog candy. All you have to do for a chance at winning the design is leave a comment at the end of each tutorial telling me what you think of the tutorial. At the end of the week I’ll select a winner using Random.org. Again, to be eligible to win the design, you have to leave a comment on each tutorial. If you missed the pennant tutorial, you can find it here.

Again, for all you experienced crafters, hang in there and speed read  .   .   .  LOL  .   .   .  I don’t want to leave any newbies behind! I’ve made some of the pictures smaller in this tutorial as I covered using the Grand Calibur in the pennant tutorial earlier.

Place the Easter basket die from the Easter Fun set on the base plate.

Cover the die with two pieces of cardstock color of your choice and the cutting plate and pass through the Grand Calibur. TIP: you can cut two pieces of cardstock at once.

Cut five baskets using cardstock and cut two baskets using chipboard from a cereal box.

Cover die with tan embossing mat and embossing plate and run through the Grand Calibur. (the color is way off in this picture, the embossing plate is pink)

Okay, this is the fun part! Isn’t that one gorgeous die! It’s from Fancy Tags TwoI do believe it’s my favorite of all the tag dies. When making the banner, I wanted to place eggs in the Easter basket, but didn’t have any dies for eggs. So putting on my thinking cap I went in search of my Spellbinders dies to try to find one that had a negative cut out that would resemble an egg and also be small enough for my basket. I nearly gave up hope until I came upon this die. When I saw the heart shape, I though the size was perfect, but I didn’t want hearts in my basket .  .  . I nearly put the die away and then, suddenly, a light bulb went off in my head. I cut a few pieces of scrap paper into squares about a half an inch in size.

I placed two pieces of the scrap paper on the upper heart and two pieces on the lower heart and passed the die through the Grand Calibur. TIP:  Clean the paper out of the die before cutting again.  It would not cut through two layers the next pass through the Calibur without plucking out the scraps. I used a sewing needle to quickly remove the paper left in the die and then made my second pass with blue and green paper.

These hearts will soon be eggs, but they’re also pretty for Valentine’s Day.  I’m thinking of those little candy hearts with “Be Mine”, “Love You”, etc. on them.  WOW .   .   .  three uses for this die  .   .   . see what you can do with a little imagination, creativity and Spellbinders™ dies!!

Okay, here’s the light bulb part I mentioned above.  I used my Cutter Bee scissors to cut the hearts into eggs. I started at the bottom of the heart and cut on a curve to form an oval shape. The eggs don’t have to be perfect, they’re all originals!

Use tweezers to hold the bottom of the egg and liberally apply adhesive, I used Perga Glue.

After covering the egg with adhesive, dip in glitter.

Cover eggs and let adhesive completely dry.

The baskets and eggs are cut, now it’s time to assemble.  Take four of the five cardstock baskets and two of the chipboard baskets.

Adhere the cardstock baskets to the chipboard baskets (front and back). The basket on the left shows the front of the basket and the basket on the right shows the back of the basket. The two chipboard baskets are completely covered with cardstock now. The top basket is the fifth cardstock basket, it will be used later in the tutorial when I adhere the basket to the pennant.

Adhere grass inside one of the chipboard baskets, I used Perga Glue for this step.

Press the grass down firmly and let completely dry.  If you don’t get full coverage, when adhesive dries, do this step again.

Basket will look like this when dry.

Trim grass around edges of basket. Make sure adhesive is completely dry or grass will drop off.

Place two 1/8″ foam pads on top of the bow.  Place a little adhesive on the foam tabs to give you time to move the basket around for perfect alignment.

Place the other chipboard basket that you covered with cardstock on top and adhere the two baskets together as shown.

Using the Perga Glue nozzle, spread adhesive on the embossed areas on the front of the basket.

Sprinkle glitter over adhesive liberally and gently shake off. Gently brush off excess glitter when adhesive is dry.

Make two small bows for the basket and adhere small pearls in the center.  I used 1/4″ light green silk to make the bows on the Bow Easy.

To finish the basket, gather eggs, basket and bows.

Adhere eggs inside the basket. Cut some of the eggs on a diagonal to place in the basket (see pink egg).

Place as many eggs as you’d like in the basket. I feel less is more and didn’t use all eight eggs.  Adhere bows and let adhesive completely dry.

Turn basket over and place adhesive as shown.

Adhere basket to bottom of the Easter pennant. Be careful that the adhesive doesn’t touch the scrap paper underneath the pennant. Let adhesive dry.

Turn pennant over.  Take the fifth basket you cut from card stock, place adhesive on the front side of the basket and then place it over the back of the basket filled with eggs.

This is what the back side of your pennant and basket will look like when completed.

Turn over and let adhesive dry.

I’ll be back soon with the Ribbon Tutorial and will complete the this design.

Thanks so much for stopping in and don’t forget to leave a comment if you’d like a chance to win the finished pennant design in this tutorial!

Paper Hugs!!!!!!

91 Responses to “Easter Basket Tutorial”

1. Norma Robnett says:

Cute trick with the tiny eggs. Ph, and I love the pastels for Easter & Spring.

2. Lorraine G says:

Great instructions!

3. Rebekka says:

Awesome details, great tutorial.

4. Katie Fujimoto says:

Just beautiful so very talented. Thanks for sharing

5. Maryann says:

Awesome tutorial, thanks sooooo very much for sharing it. It´s really an amazing piece of art, and I just love it. Can´t wait to gdet the last one, so we can hopefully soon get to try some of these tricks here.
    Havde a wondderful day and take good care.

6. Clavell says:

I wondered how you made such perfect little bows! Looking forward to the ribbon tutorial. Very ingenious design!!!

7. Sheila - UK says:

This is an absolutely clever tutorial Jerri….thank you so much…you just never cease to amaze me.

Love Sheila xx

8. Cyndee Scholet says:

Your tutorials are so well written and photographed! Aren’t you clever with how you used the hearts to make eggs! I wonder if you could glue two hearts together (curved eggs pointing together) to get a larger egg???

9. Cheryl L says:

The little bows added to the baskets are a great detail. Thanks for all the tips.

10. Anne says:

I would not think of a heart will come out as an egg – never!! You are such a genius!! So much details and yet looks so simple to do!! I really admire your patience and creativity. You have got all the talents to make such a cute & detailed banner!! Thanks for sharing!!

11. Thanks so much for the great tutorial! I love how you turned the heart into the little eggs. You are so very talented and I am so happy that you share your amazing talent. Thank you.

12. Barbi says:

As always your projects are so adorable, I love the baskets, all of your ideas are so inspiring. You always see the perfect project. Thanks for sharing, Have a great day!

13. Pam P says:

Love how you used the Fancy Tags Two to make the eggs, so clever. Your detail to each and every project is incredible, love the pastel glitter. I enjoy your blog so much, I always check my e-mails to see if there is an entry from your blog and if there is it is the first one I check, can’t wait to see what you will show us next.

14. cheryl miller says:

I don’t know how you come up with your ideas. You are amazing. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

15. Barbara Taylor says:

One Word. FABULOUS

16. Pat Jandacek says:

A wonderful tutorial, Jerri. Enough detail that I do believe I could do it myself with the right tools. I am, however, holding out for winning yours! Thanks for loving generosity.

17. Peggy Allen says:

I love the way you made the basket and little glittery eggs. Amazing! Love it.
    God bless,
    PeggyS

Simply ingenious! And you make it look so easy. It is beautiful, Jerri

19. Michele Wright says:

Wonderful tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing.

20. Ellen B says:

What a wonderful tutorial. I just love the whole idea!

21. Bev J. says:

What pretty little baskets-love the glittery eggs! Neat tutorial.

22. Teri says:

Great ideas! Thanks for the tutorials, as usual. You are so COOL!!!

23. LindaMar says:

Pretty good idea with the eggs! The left over scraps from the egs remind me of the partridges from The Partridge Family from TV…Maybe another use?…..

24. Carol Pinkey says:

Thanks for the tutorial! You make it all look so simple… but then it IS — YOU did all the thinking & creating! We just follow directions!

25. How amazing……truly a piece of art…..love your tutorial and thank you for it….your back looks so nice…..thank you for this details and very understandable tutorial…..now I got to get those dies….b/c I want one of these banners for Easter now…tfs

26. Betty B says:

Such a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

Perfect tutorial, Jerri! Thanks so much for such a clear step by step.

28. Catherine Lippert says:

I just adore this banner…enchanting!! Thanks!

29. Deb Saaranen says:

Another fabulous tutorial Jerri! Great idea trimming those itty bitty hearts into eggs…your brain never quits!!! LOL!!! I LOVE this banner and am so excited that someone is going to actually receive one–(hopefully ME!!!LOL!!!)

Jerri, your impecable attention to details is what sets you apart from most of us stampers! I do not think I could have your patience to do this. I love seeing what beautiful creations you make, keep ’em coming, gf!

31. Deanna says:

Thanks for sharing. Love all the special details you added to the basket

32. CHarlotte says:

Gorgeous technique! Your work is just stunning.

33. Dorcas 98 says:

I am so very excited to try to make this project!! It is so classy and awesome and with your help and tutorial I really think I can do it!! That is saying alot for me. Thank you so very much for your ideas and help!!

34. Beth Norman says:

Wow. Another great idea. Thanks for the tutorial.

hugs,

Beth

Another great tutorial. These must have been very time consuming to make.

36. Carol says:

Thanks for showing all your steps and tips in making this! Beautiful!

37. bethann d says:

how smart to look at dies in more than one way. so clever to make eggs from hearts. i am in love with all the detail you did.

38. Kim Baker says:

You always make things look so easy. I am in awe of your talent. I am going to make these for baby showers for my children (2 in the next month). Thanks so much!!

39. Dottie Davis says:

Wow! What a ton of work just for these little baskets. They turned out so beautifully. I have come to the conclusion there is a difference between designers and the rest of us. Ha! Your are one gifted lady. Such joy you must have as you create these masterpieces!

40. Lucille says:

Great Easter basket tutorial. Love the eggs, they are sooooo cute. You are so talented.

41. Heather (Montreal) says:

I can only imagine how much effort (and time!) you place in making your tutorials – they are truly fabulous! Your attention to detail is flawless.
    I soo look forward to seeing your creations!

42. Fab says:

It’s amazing when that light bulb goes off, isn’t it? Your’s did an excellent job for the eggs. Thanks again for such detailed instructions. Can’t wait for next tutorial.

43. That is totally sweet. My wish list for dies keeps growing. : ) Thanks for sharing with us.

Blessings to you.

44. Carolyn says:

Oh my goodness!!! That is the cutest thing ever. You always amaze me.

45. Jan says:

Your penchant for detail is amazing ! Gorgeous !

46. Kathy P says:

Thank you for sharing. I’m going to try this one for a Christmas exchange I am in.

47. mary puskar says:

Eggs from hearts! Who would have thought and I’m ordering that die ASAP! Spellbinders is my favorite company. So many possibilities! Beautiful results.

Mary

48. Sheri Riemenschneider says:

Darling little baskets and SO clever thinking to use negative pieces from one of the dies. Great job explaining everything in detail! I’ll be watching for your ribbon/pearls tutorial, as I think I know how you did it but, knowing how you do things I’ll bet you found a better way! I am curious to know what you’ve done on the ends of the ribbon for hanging the banner. I’ve not seen a picture of either end yet. Thanks again!

49. Kristine Vencel says:

Oh My Gosh! So cute & so easy! (Except for the size. Might need my tiny glasses!) Thank you for sharing your incredible idea for using the cut-away pieces to make eggs!

What a wonderful tutorial, Jerri….you have the most creative ideas and they are always executed perfectly!!! How clever to add the grass to the back side of the basket and thanks for showing us how you neatly applied the glitter to the eggs….great way to cut down the sparkle in the craft room…LOL!!!

51. Mrs. Ham says:

Stunning Jerri. Thanks for sharing your very creative techniques.

52. Cindy says:

Great tutorial. Thank you for sharing your tallent with us. You have great ideas.

53. Dorthy Barber says:

Oh clever one! What a great idea for the eggs! The whole design is so neat, but then I always love all your designs. Thanks for sharing this great banner.

I always enjoy your tutorials Jerri. I love the way you added the straw to the basket and also the glitter imitating the basket weaves.

55. DebraK says:

Wow, I was wondering how you got eggs from that tag–very cool! I love the way you finish off your pieces even in the back of an item. We all know that when friends pick up a project, they always seem to turn it over, and why not make it as perfect as the front? Great Job, Jerri. I definately will have to snag the Fancy Tags Two die set. I cannot wait to try and make a banner for my daughters upcoming baby shower. I love the Beatrix Potter images but my daughter is more contemporary so I will have to find something closer to her taste. Thank you for sharing your tutorials with us! Hugs… :)

56. Susie says:

This tutorial has great clarity and ease of understanding for everyone. Thank you for sharing this Jerri.

57. Your attention to detail is right up my alley. I love how finished it looks front and back. Truly a work of art…I love Easter and these baskets are just precious. I know my granddaughter would love “helping” me make them.
    Your explanation makes it so easy. I could continue on and on, but you get how I feel.

58. Donna says:

Thanks, Jerri! Love the tutorials…. keep them coming!

59. Lorie B. says:

What adorable little baskets. Love the idea of using the hearts to make the eggs. Wonderful tutorial!

60. velta says:

Oh you have taught me another use for the Perga Glue Jerri! How inventive of you…thank you for showing this tutorial and all of your ideas :)

61. Victoria Merrick says:

Such a clever use of the hearts! I’m a glitter gal myself and I love the pastel colors you used. Those tiny eggs really “pop” in that basket.

I can hardly wait for the next tutorial! You explain every step so clearly. Thank you for sharing your talent with us!!!

62. Edna Siu says:

Lovely, lovely, it is lovely. I love the glitter sparkles for Easter. Thanks for the tutorial.

63. jean wilson says:

Jerri! You are so awesome! What a wonderful basket and the eggs, so cute an ideal Thanks for the tutorial!

64. Sue K (Australia) says:

Great tutorial Jerri – you always display and explain things so well – the whole creation was just fabulous. Love it.

65. Sandra ltb says:

wow – you are a very patient lady!
    Wonderful.
    Sandra ltb

66. Rufus says:

These are so cute, but it must have taken ages to do with all the details! Of course, those are what make it so cute!
    R/

67. Oh Jerri.
    This is wonderful. You are so tricksy girl!! I just love this.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Hugs and Blessings,
    Deb

68. Sandy says:

Your tutorials are awesome, I really appreciate all the work you put into making them.

69. I LOVE all the details in this banner! Gorgeous, gorgeous work! You’re quite the inspiration! Thanks for sharing!

Deb in WI

70. Heather Peel says:

hi jerri beautiful .Love the little eggs tucked in .The colours are lush .so springtimey.lovely work once again. Hugs Heather

71. Susan says:

I check out your blog daily and I am always inspired by your amazing projects. Your tutorials are a wonderful thing for us that don’t create on this level to be more inspired that perhaps we can do these techniques. Since seeing your first post on this project I’ve order all the dies and have lots of ideas using some old books that I have. Thank you for being so generous with your time and talent.

72. Clare Curcio says:

Very nice and Springy in the muted pastel tones!

73. Dottie Davis says:

You are one patient gal, making these baskets with all the detail and pieces to coordinate. Your mind must be constantly on the move thinking up these stunning creations. Do you sleep at night???? LOL!

74. Barbara says:

The creativity in this is over the top. Thank you for everything! Love it all

75. Gloria C says:

Amazing. I just love these little Easter baskets. Thanks again for sharing.

76. Gloria L says:

Love how you show so many creative uses from one die, and the layering, the grass in the basket, brilliant!

77. Just wonderful Jerri! Thank you for the tip on that die! It is on my wish list,I just love those tags!!
    I think you might even be able to get away with using the heart as an egg that is cracked open?maybe?
    Anway, Thank you so much for thaking the time do to the tutorial!

Blessings and Hugs,
    Mary

78. Cindy says:

Those little baskets are adorable and I love the glittery pastel eggs!

Cindy

79. Karen Harper says:

The baskets came out so cute. It gives me a million more ideas on what to do with them.

80. I’m still drooling days after this was posted, lol. I love the grass in the baskets. I have to bookmark this, just gorgeous!

81. Too cute for words. Thank you for sharing. Hugs, Dottie

82. Clavell says:

Loved the easter eggs. Thank you for the detailed instruction.

83. Linda says:

I love how you are even finishing the back of your pendant! You’re definitely teaching even this seasoned crafted a thing or two! LOL!

Linda

Some amazing and creative ideas here, Jerri!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

85. Jo Ann Kruglet says:

Your attention to detail is amazing! All of your designs are beautiful! Thank you for sharing the gift of your artistry. Jo Ann

86. that is just too clever, I never would have thought to make eggs out of those hearts, and those would be excellent hearts for valentines :)

87. lisa808 says:

Love the basket! Thank you for the instructions.

88. Jenny Gropp says:

Excellent instructions and step by step pictures. I always enjoy seeing the process in pictures over reading about it.

89. Gayle says:

Another great tutiorial Jerri,by far you are a genius. This is so stunning…..

90. Lynn Smith says:

I love it all and am coveting it really bad right now – lol – Is that bad? lol Thanks so much for the tutorial. Great job.

91. Tosh says:

What a fabulous tutorial of a super adorable project Jerri!!