Apr 29 2011

Embossed Leaf Tutorial

Published by at 10:26 am under Dry Embossing,Spellbinders,Tutorials

As promised, here’s the embossed leaf tutorial. It’s quick and easy ladies. I think you’ll find it a bit amusing  .    .    . you know, one of those moments when you tap yourself on the head and say, “why didn’t I think of that”!

I’ve pulled dies from several Spellbinders™ sets to illustrate the technique with different shape/size leaves. On the base plate are dies from Rose Creations, Daisy Heads, Foliage, Sunflower Two and On The Vine Border Grand. I placed a sheet of Moss Green cardstock over the dies, placed the Cutting Plate on top and ran it through the Grand Calibur. Links to the Grand Calibur and dies are provided at the bottom of the tutorial.

Okay, here’s the part where I promised you’d laugh. I was at the grocery store a month ago and purchased a large bag of Sunkist navel oranges. I liked the texture of the mesh bag the oranges came in and after placing the oranges in the refrigerator, I cut the label off and took it to my stamping room. My thoughts were that the embossed texture might make a nice background on a design. Flash forward a few weeks. I was getting ready to make a batch of leaves for the design on the Enjoy Your Day card and wanted texture on the leaves when the mesh caught my eye. A light bulb suddenly blinked in my head. I wadded up the mesh and placed it on the Base Plate. I then placed the leaves on top of the mesh, placed the tan embossing pad on the leaves, covered the pad with the Embossing Plate and ran the sandwich through the Calibur.

To get the grand die cut to fit, I laid it diagonally on the plate.

By wadding the mesh several layers, the leaves all have a very nice bumpy texture.

To get the appearance of dew drops, I sponged two inks onto the leaves, Old Olive and Always Artichoke. Here you see before and after the ink is applied to the Moss Green cardstock.

I crinkled up the leaves, this is optional and not necessary, I like a scrunched effect.

I flattened the leaves back to their original state. Using a fingernail file, I lightly sanded over the tops of the leaves. Those of you with acrylic nails will recognize the file, it can be purchased at places like Sally’s Beauty Supply.

I embossed the leaves on an embossing pad using the 3mm, 4.5mm and 6mm embossing tools.

The leaves are ready to be used in designs. I make them up when I’m not busy. When I get ready to design, I go through my stash of leaves and pull what I want for the project. And that’s why when some of you write and ask how long it takes me to create a design I have a hard time answering. I love playing and when I have some down time, I pull scraps of card stock and play with flowers and leaves to see what I can come up with. It’s like having my own handmade stash of Prima flowers.

In this design, I used leaves from the Nested Leaves set, as well as the rose leaves from the Foliage dies.

You all have come to mean so much to me and I treasure your visits. I love reading your comments and am inspired by them. When asked for tutorials, I absolutely love sharing with you.  Most of my tutorials are lengthy and take quite some time to make. The four Mum tutorials took over a week, working morning through evening.

In appreciation for the time I take to provide the tutorials, I have one small itsy, bitsy request. Please help support me by not printing or saving my tutorials to your computer. If you save the tutorial links in your Favorites on your browser bar, you’ll be able to click in directly to each tutorial with a quick click of the button. And you’ll save yourself a fortune in printer ink and paper  .    .    .  geesh  .   .   .  those ink cartridges are pricey .   .   .  LOL! I have several of my favorite designers’ links saved in my Favorites. I much prefer viewing blog posts on my computer than printing because the graphics are way better!! But, most importantly, when I click into that designer’s blog, she’s getting credit for the time, work and energy she put into making that design available for me to be inspired by. Thank you so much ladies for understanding, I truly appreciate it!!! {{{hugs}}}

I wish you all many hours of creative fun!!

If you find that Spellbinders™ is out of stock of the dies you’re looking for, check over at The Stamp Simply Store, I believe Sharon has several sets in and I believe she’s running a huge sale on JustRite stamps.

Supplies used for the tutorial:

Embossing toolsEmbossing Pad, 3mm, 4.5mm and 6mm Embossing Tools

Spellbinders™: Rose Creations, On The Vine Border Grand, SunFlower Two, Foliage, Nested Leaves, Daisy Heads, Grand Calibur

Thank you so much for stopping by, have a wonderful weekend!

80 Responses to “Embossed Leaf Tutorial”

1. Jackie P says:

What an idea!!! And I love the effect on the leaves!! LOL I thought I was alone in using files from Sally’s…you have the same one I use also. Have you seen the small little orange ones?? They are about $.10 each and perfect for doing darker papers, use them once and toss them so the colors don’t get onto next paper – and inexpensive so it doesn’t hurt the wallet.

Hmmm I need to snatch the next bag from my dad!
    Thanks for a great idea to add a unique texture to leaves.
    Jackie

2. Sandra ltb says:

thanks for sharing … you are amazing!
    Sandra ltb

3. Carole RB says:

Hi Jerri

Those leaves are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks a bunch for the tutorial.

I save a lot of tutorials on my computer (don’t print them) I copy and paste in a word document. I seldon save the links because I’ve learned one thing over the years:”Blogs or website close sometimes” and references are gone…. When I didn’t have a computer I was going at my father’s house and browse through internet to find “crafts projects”. Of course I couldn’t print them all. By the time I had my first computer a lot of those sites were closed…so I learned to save interesting tutorials and organize them very well if I want to find them back through the incredible amount of files. AND I also suscribe to those beautiful blogs through my Google Reader.

Have a nice weekend!

• Jerri Kay says:

I promise I’m not going anywhere . . . LOL! My blog is hosted by Splitcoaststampers. If they ever close shop (highly unlikely), I have the option of transferring my blog to a self-hosted WordPress site.

4. maria says:

jerri !
    thank you for sherin all the grats ideas , you are so special and talent
    cracias.

5. Glenda says:

Jerri, I kept looking at those leaves and wondering what the heck you did. Thanks so much for sharing and I’m going right now to get my bag from my oranges! I just happen to have one on hand! Check out my blog later you will see these happening a lot!

6. What an amazing die that is. That will be another big seller. Thanks for sharing.

7. Thank you so much Jerri! I would have never thought of your technique thank you so much for sharing your talent with us. Love your work it is amazing!

8. Gabriela says:

Fantastic tutorial! Thank you for the time and effort you dedicated on it. I too, prefer to simply save tutorials to My Favorites. I’m glad you brought this important message to light.

9. Kathy Burris says:

Thank you once again for a wonderful tutorial. Your idea of using the mesh bag for texture is great. I think I see the purchase of oranges in my future along with the foliage and nested leaves dies. Spellbinders dies are so fun and your projects with them are always inspirational. Thanks again for sharing!

10. auntie em says:

This is such a fun and amazing tutorial! And I like that you make a stash up ahead in some ‘down’ time…when do you ever have down time? The mottled look goes so well with so many colours and designs.
    Thank you so much for sharing! :)

11. Barbi says:

thanks so much for sharing, as always a great idea! The leaves look so real! I love your designs, you inspire me!
    cheers from Dartmouth Nova Scotia
    Barbi!

12. Belinda says:

I love your tutorials….i only found your blog a few days ago and since i found it i have been back to visit at least once a day.
    I love your tech for the leaves and i never even thought about using the mesh bags for textures.

13. Carol Southern says:

What a brilliant idea for the leaves, love them. You come up with some unique ways of getting that natural look you want.
    Your tutorials are so detailed I can see why it would take so long to produce one. I learn so much from them.
    I think both of the colours in the cards look terrific. Love your work Jerri.

14. alsmouse says:

I kept wondering why I’ve been saving the net bags for so long. Now I know. I will be doing this on a future project. Thank you for the directions & the lovely cards. You are so talented. I found you following a lind just recently & am so glad I fell down the rabbit hole.
    ~C8>

15. Heather (Montreal) says:

Holy Ding-dong, Batman!
    You are so right – this really is a head smackin’ moment and yes, I wish I had thought of it!
    Thanks for always sharing your talent. I eagerly await your next wonder :)

Note to Barbi in Dartmouth NS – is the chicken burger place still there? I grew up on that and still miss it!

Wow, so gorgeous, and what a great idea!

17. Janet Castle says:

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful…and so easy – who would have guessed!!! LOL! Thank you Jerri for such a great tutorial!!! And I even have that leaf die…Whoo Hoo!
    Hugs,

18. Anne says:

You are a real genius and a magician as well. You can turn trash into something I never know it can look like this!! You should be a scientist….LOL!! Thanks for sharing your secret !! Rest assured I will not print / store your tutorials in my PC. :) I subscribe to your blog so I have no problem to refer to your tutorials anytime. Have a nice weekend!!

19. Sheila - Uk says:

Hi Jerri …wow I wish I had light bulb moments like yours!! Mine are usually dim flickers! LOl!! Thank you so much for a wonderful tutorial….who would have thought of using these nets with the dies?…only an amazingly talented lady like you! I know I’ve said it before but many, many thanks for all the inspiration you give to us.

Love Sheila xx

20. How clever…..you know I have kept one of these bags and have it in my craft room…..I knew that it would good for something…..just didn’t know what it was until now…..thank you so much for sharing this technique…..now I just gotta find it…..hehehehe

21. Heather Peel says:

hi Jerri. wow. I remember i did ask you how you got the two tone colours on your leaves ,but what an amazingly simple clever idea .My lights go on and off so much these days .it would take me some time to come up with that .Thank you so much .you have taken all this time out to show us all your tutorial .thank you so very much for all you do for us .i for one and im sure everyone else agrees .we re very grateful and appreciate your work you show us so much always.I suppose you could colour your leaves different colours .and then sand lightly as well .?if it was a xmas arrangement .Do you think we could add white on somewhere to look like snow or frost on parts / how would you show this on your projects leaves?lots of thanks Jerri. Fantasticlly clear and concise explainations as always . hugs Heather

22. Elizabeth C says:

Very cool Jerri! I keep an excel sheet of tutorial links. I have them organized alphabetically and under headings such as flowers, leaves, bows,copic coloring……I have found this makes it easy to find the tip I need and makes the link ready to go when I am ready to blog:) http://visionsofpaper.blogspot.com/

23. Heather Peel says:

hi Jerri OOOps forgot to ask .what do you use inside of yellow flowers here.i have tiny seed beads ,and use flower soft .Please can i ask .What it is you use ?thank you so much Bless you lots Hugs Heather

24. Rebekka says:

Jerri, this is awesome, thank you for sharing. :)

25. Fab says:

I have had a piece of mesh in my stash drawer for a couple of years. I just had not got around to playing with it yet. Now I know what to do with it. Thanks for all of your time in providing these tutorials for us.

26. Amazing! Great tutorial. I was very surprised by you using the mesh!

Jerri, this is a very cool tutorial…great idea using the mesh!

Jerri, what a great idea. I loved your tutorial and thanks for sharing with us. Very, very creative!

29. kim says:

How creative, they look so real! Thanks for the great tutorial!

30. Pam Pemsler says:

Jerri, this was a phenomenally wonderful tutorial. Sooo easy to follow and your AHA moment about the sunkist mesh was brilliant! They are the prettiest handmade leaves I’ve ever seen. I have a great idea. In response to your itsy bitsy request, WHY DON’T YOU WRITE A BOOK!!!??? We will all gladly pay for a book by you illustrating all your incredible techniques!! I for one am waiting!

31. bethann d says:

another wonderful tutorial. i appreciate you taking all the time and energy to do that for us, your acolytes. i for one don’t have the computer skills to do anything more exotic than possibly saving an email so will always go to your blog for tutorials. thank you again for the great info, wonderful gorgous art, and always the best inspiration

32. Debbie S. says:

What a great technique for leaves! They look so beautiful. I too like making “parts” ahead of time when I have a few spare minutes and saving for when I create my cards.
    Thanks for great tips!

33. Dottie says:

You are so funny! Many times I have looked at those onion bags or fruit bags and thought to myself, “Surely there is some way to use these things!” Therefore, in my overflow drawer I have several of these bags stashed. Finally, finally after many icky inventions I now have one tried and true that will work! T.Y. Jerri K. (Having let us in on how your mind works is such a privilege because now I know I am not the only one who dreams up this kind of stuff!)

Well I’ll be…. Who’d have thought a fruit sack! lol I just threw one of them away yesterday!
    You have an amazing creative talent my friend! I always find something new and wonderful, or old and wonderful when I come here.
    Thanks and hugs, Jessica

35. Debby Walker says:

Jerri, thank you so much for taking your time to do a tutoral for us. I was wondering how you got that texture. I love it! Hugs to you sweetie.

36. lisa808 says:

Cool! tfs. I usually save the mesh bags to use on my cards. Love the texture idea.

37. Claire says:

Hi Jerri,
    I remember asking you how you got the appearance of the dew drops. Thanks so much the great tutorial and for taking the time to make it! That was SO cleaver how you used the mesh to create the texture on the leaves. You’re amazing! Oh, and thank you for sharing your idea of adding your tutorials on our ‘favorites’ list! I have a number of your tutorials already in my favorites list. Whenever I need to refer to one of them I simply unplug my laptop, move it into my craft studio, and with a click of the mouse I’m able to follow along step-by-step. I find the graphics are better. Plus, I’m saving on the additional expense of buying paper, and toner cartidges. I also feel good knowing that I’m doing my part to help save the environment. Thank you again for the wonderful tips!

38. MLNAPIER says:

Thanks so much for showing us how to do this!! Your accents for your cards etc. are just stunning. Miriam

39. Marina says:

Hi Jerri,
    You are just amazing, most talented paper craft designer I’ve “met” :)
    Thank you so much for your works and for tutorials you share with us.
    Funny thing I already stashed this mesh from oranges I bought a while ago, but never came up with a way to use it. Now my hording habits were justified :)

40. Darlene Groseclose says:

Thanks for sharing, Jerri. I can hardly wait to get my order so I can start playing!!

41. velta says:

You clever girl you!!! What an awesome idea you have come up with here! I do not have acrylic nails, but I do have that very same fingernail file that I bought from Sally’s and it is in drawer of my craft table…LOL…I also have YOUR embossing tools on my craft table along with YOUR embossing mat…and I have (I think) all of these Spellbinder’s leaf dies…

I am going to see the movie (already read the book and it was fantastic) “Water for Elephants” this afternoon with a friend (Kathy) that works in the office next to mine and we have been friends since we both went to college together…so from now until I go to the movie I am going to play with these leaves and see how I do…Thank you Jerri for your tutorial! How happy you have made your fans because to take the time to share your beautiful art…This fan in particular!!! Have a wonderful weekend my friend!!!

42. Carol Pinkey says:

Jerri

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! As always, I love learning from you!!!

Carol

43. Wendy Ploski says:

Oh my GOSH! You are not kidding that we would laugh, what an idea!! Thank you SO much for the inspiration again!!!

44. Becky Jo says:

Thanks for the tutorial on getting leaves to look real. I, like you, make extra leaves when I’m doing them. I have several of those small drawer units used for bolts, screws, etc. marked for different holidays, leaves, flowers and so on. I have those small drawers full of things to pull out when I want to make a card. I have saved lots of those mesh bags! My husband always asks what I use them for – nothing until now! Big Grin!! Next time he asks I’ll have something to tell him. I always bookmark your tutorials and if I need reference I pull it up and check it out. Most of the time I remember what I read, but I will pull it up more often now even if I do remember! Thanks again for sharing what goes on in your mind and for taking the time to share your ideas! As always, your creations are the best!!!!! Big Hugs!!

45. Barbara L says:

Great idea, Jerri! Of course, I love all of your designs and had been wondering how you got the realistic leaves. Thanks so much for sharing.

46. Rosie says:

BRILLIANT! Love this and will try some for May Flowers!

47. Mrs. Ham says:

Wow Jerri. Thanks for the tuturial. I would have never thought of that. Have a great weekend.

48. Nancy R Grimes says:

What a great idea!!! I’ll pass uyour link along.

49. Isn’t ite fun to find odd things around the house to inspire us to us for cards and scrapbook designs? I have thrown away so many mesh fruit bags.. now I will take a second look. LOL
    Thank you for sharing another wonderful project.
    Hugs, Dottie

Oh, Jerri – that is sooo brilliant!!! Thank you sooo much for sharing your techniques on these leaves. They are just beautiful and I never, ever would have thought of using a mesh bag for texture. Now I have to go and try this out. Thank you again for sharing your magic with us!

51. Lynne says:

Thanks Jerri for taking the time to share this. Well I never would have guessed!! What a brilliant idea and it works like a dream. They look so realistic and compliment the gorgeous flowers. Shopping tomorrow will sure include a fruit bag. What a star you are. I was sure the mottled effect was done with drops of water spray, wrong again lol.

Lynne x

52. Gloria C says:

I have to admit that I am one of the ones that print out tutorials. Shame on me. I never even gave it a thought to add it to my favorites. That would have saved me loads of paper and ink. Not to mention the room it takes to save all those tutorials printed out. Thanks for the tip. I do give credit to those who create the tutorials. Often I copy the address on the bottom of the printout.

Now that I have confessed—I never would have thought to use an orange netting bag to give my items some demention. What a great idea. You have so many beautiful projects and great ideas. Thank you so much.

53. Lindamar says:

WoW! You sure fooled us! I thought you used some resin or acrylic drops on the leaves…Great idea. Thanks you so much for your great tutorials. I am a subscriber, so I know I can always click back to your tutorials anytime I want. You do such a great job with explaining and photographing the step you take to complete your projects. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Greetings from Pacifica, California.

54. Deana in No. CA says:

You have such great ideas! I actually have 2 mesh bags on my desk right now that I thought might make interesting layers on something. I’m going to go try this. You’re ingenious! Thanks so much for sharing your talent.

55. Trish Verner says:

WOW Jerri,
    I didn’t see that one coming!! You are indeed so clever and worthy of all the praise heaped on you. Using the net is simply brilliant and I look forward to giving it a try for myself.
    I can truly understand how it takes quite a lot of your time making these tutorials, but you do them so well and your descriptions and instructions are so clear for everyone to understand. Thank you so much- I really do appreciate it.
    Big hugs,
    Trish x

56. Leanne says:

Great tutorial Jerri. I will put those ideas in my memory bank and hope to try it sometime. Your directions were great. Did I miss some directions for making your really neat flowers some where along the line? I also love your flowers you make. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings…Leanne

57. Ursula says:

Jerri, what a lovely tutorial, thanks somuch. Am on holiday in New Zealand at the moment, but spend a few minutes here and there to check out my favourites. Will have a lot of fun when I get back home again towards end May. Warm wishes

58. Bette S says:

Oh my gosh! Just hit me in the head……why didn’t I think of that?! Answer: I am definitely not even a tiny bit creative as you are! Thank you so much for the tip and also the tip for saving the links. I have to admit, I have been printing out your tutorials. I know better now. Thanks for sharing.

59. Patti King says:

Hi Jerri,

Yes I did laugh. But I have a question. Is there a reason you do not list the company name for the inks you use? I am not savvy enough to determine which company makes the ink so would love a hint.

I love the textured leaves – they are so much more realistic than just a flat piece of green paper. Thank you for taking the time to show me how to do it. Now I am wondering what you would get with crumpled plastic wrap – will have to try it – LOL

Thanks,
    Patti

60. Sylvia Johnson says:

Wow, actually I have a mesh bag saved in my stamp room. I knew it would come in handy to texturize something! I keep anything with texture that is soft and pliable. Thank you so much for this tutorial. I so enjoy your creations. Can’t wait to try this. I just got the Foliage dies from SB and haven’t even opened it yet! But I sure will tomorrow. Thanks so much Jerri!
    Hugs~
    Sylvia

61. Thanks so much for the wonderful tip…I love your tuts, and just save in my favorites. Like you say, why waste the ink and paper!! I finally got smart enough to move the computer into my scrap room/rooms….can’t wait to get my foliage die…

62. It is amazing how much texture brings to a die cut piece. This is awesome. I will have to go shopping for some oranges..haha.. Really nicely done. Thanks for always sharing..

63. Oh my I never would have thought of that, and I think I have saved some mesh in my room too, but I was going to try inking thru it for a background, never thought of using it for texture, I have a few punches that I do ahead of time and have in little containers on my desk, it’s great to use up those scraps and have them handy to use like you say, tfs the how to’s, I need to get that foliage die :)

64. Rufus says:

Heheh, I love it! I’ve used those bags for all sorts of things, but I’ve never used ’em to detail leaves, till now! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity and marvelous ideas! Thanks also for the great pictures and details. I really enjoy seeing your art.
    Thanks!,
    R/

65. Yep, smacked my head. I HAVE this Spellbinders die and I would have never thought to use it this way. Thanks for the GREAT tutorial!!

66. Tonniece says:

WAY COOL Jerri.

I saved those darn things for a while now (thinking I could use them somehow) and never did. AND I JUST THREW THEM ALL OUT the other day while cleaning my craft room. Go figure……………………. Oh well I can always get more. lol

Thanks for the Great tutorial
    Hugs
    Tonniece

67. Jill says:

You never cease to amaze me!!! Once again, thank you for the tutorial – – you are the bomb!!!

68. Deb Saaranen says:

Fabulous tutorial Jerri! I love how very clear and precise it is! Thank you!

Thanks sooo much for sharing this fabulous tutorial, Jerri…I have got to try this tomorrow!!!!! First I’ll have to go buy some tomatoes!!!

70. Was just looking at the mesh on the oranges I bought and wondering what could be done with it. YOU have found a great use! Love the leaves… GREAT tutorial!!

This is a wonderful tutorial, Jerri!! Thanks so much!!

72. Debe Aston says:

Thank you for the info on posting a comment. Simple enough!
    Again, I adore your work! Thanks so much for making me so
    envious!!!!

73. Deanna Maertz says:

I love your tutorials. Thanks for your hard work. I did not know about repeat visits helping the blogger- thanks for that info. Only 1 question: if I link to the blog, how do I know where to go for that tutorial? I seem to get links to the general blog and have to wade through all the archives to try and find the day it was posted on. So much easier to copy and paste into a file on my computer! All I know how to do is bookmark a site- is there something else to save the links?

• Jerri Kay says:

Hi Deana, thank you for asking that question. The way to save the link for the tutorial is once you’re at my blog, go to the tutorial and click on the title. This will open up a direct link to the url address for the tutorial. If you’re using Internet Explorer, you would click on the green plus over the yellow star in the tool bar that has the tab. For instance, the tab I’m seeing as I type this is “A Touch of Grace >> Embossed Leaf Tutorial”. I click on the Green star and a box opens up and asks me to save to my Favorites and I click on that. Then later, when I want to see it, I click on the big yellow star and scroll down until I find “A Touch of Grace >> Embossed Leaf Tutorial”. I click on it and it takes me directly to that post. I hope this helps. Thanks so much!

74. How wonderful to see these leaves become beautiful step by step. Your use of the mesh is a stroke of genius! Thanks so much for sharing your techniques, Jerri!

75. Bonnie G says:

What a CHEAP SHOT to advertise your trash for free at the expense of others!!! You should be fined at the very least for such low class parasitic behavior! I hope she blocks you from her site.

76. Bonnie G says:

My previous comment was a reply to a comment that was really a solicitation from a site that sells cigarettes and other items and had nothing to do with the beautiful artwork that Jerri creates. I don’t know why it is showing as a comment instead of a reply to someone else leaving ads on her site. I am a follower of Jerri’s blog and very impressed with her talent.
    Bonnie

77. Magdalena says:

I’m so glad I found your blog.. you are such amazing crafter I really love all what I see… thanks for sharing your tutorials..

Magdalena

78. Ruth says:

Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial Jerri….Its simply AWESOME !!!!