May 21 2014

Dahlia III Tutorial

Published by at 9:29 am under Dry Embossing,Spellbinders,Tutorials

Good Morning Ladies. I’m back from my cruise and had a wonderful time, I wish I had booked two weeks!

Today I have the next installment of the Dahlia tutorials. This tutorial is short, sweet and easy . . . hooray!

In this tutorial I show how to make the flowers above. The smaller five petaled flower will be taught in another tutorial to follow. I’ve made the largest flower in this tutorial, they’re all made the same, just using the smaller dies as you size down.

To see how to crease the flower petals, see Dahlia Tutorial I and Dahlia Tutorial II. For this flower you’ll need Dahlia dies #2, #4 and #5, stamens and adhesive. I purchased these stamens at Michael’s. The flowers were tinted with Shabby Shutters Distress Ink using a sponge dauber.

Take two #5 flowers, two #4 flowers and one #2 flower and stamens.

Adhere one of the largest flowers over the other large flower.

After placing one of the #4 flowers in the flower as shown, I decided not to use the second one. I think it’s full enough at this point. I then placed the smaller flower (#2) as shown.

Separate the stamens as shown.

Cut several stamens for your flower center.

Trim off the excess stems.

Adhere the stamens into the flower as shown. I made two flowers using the flowers shown in the second photo from the top of the post. I made the other flower a bit fuller by cutting petals as I did in the previous Dahlia tutorial. I don’t want all the flowers to be the same.

These finished dahlias have a different look from those in the previous tutorials.

Very Pretty with the Botanical Tea designer papers by Graphic 45.

This dahlia flower was designed into the card that I gave my Mom for Mother’s Day using Graphic 45 Botanical Tea papers.

I also used it for the card I gave my Mother-in-Law for Mother’s Day, also using Graphic 45’s Botanical Tea papers.

I’ve sold out of the Dahlia dies, you can find them here at the Stamp Simply Ribbon Store in a value pack with three sets of additional floral dies.

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit today, I have three more tutorials coming, hopefully a card next week as well.

22 Responses to “Dahlia III Tutorial”

1. dottie says:

Thanks for all the time and effort in making this third tutorial! I love it! This tutorial answers the question about at what point to put in the stamens for each kind of flower you make. In the first tutorial I thought of sticking them in the middle of the rolled petals but then there would be weighty flower that would stick up quite a ways and the problem of glue holding the weight. These flowers revealed the best way to adhere the stamen and that was to the center of the assembled flower. They look so real…that is the fooler! They are really beautiful. Jerri.

2. Gorgeous! These are probably my favorite dahlias! LOVE the soft pink ones in the first photo.

This is a fabulous tutorial, Jerri. Thank you so much for making it to share your wealth of talent and creativity with us. I love how natural the petals look! Now I have to go try and make some dahlias!!

4. Velta says:

Simply said…So Elegant and Perfect !!!

5. Eunice B says:

Hi Jerri, I’m glad you had a wonderful cruise. I’ve been gone so much lately I guess I missed that little piece of information, and thought I had missed this tutorial. You do such a wonderful job in explaining each step. I’m home for a while so I hope to try making some of these flowers, yours are so yummy I hope I can do justice to your tutorials. Take care.

6. Janie Printz says:

Jerri I’m so glad you had a wonderful cruise but happy you’ve returned with another amazing tutorial for us to share. These flowers may be from the same Dahlia dies but they look totally different as well. So realistic & gorgeous with the techniques you use. Beautiful colors & love the stamens. Can’t wait to see how you made that small flower with the same die. I love it & another bunch of stamens I haven’t seen. Hopefully they came from Michael’s as well but I’ve never seen that color before.
    Hugs, Janie

7. Edna says:

Jerri, thanks for the tutorials, it is easy to follow and the flowers are stunning. Thanks again.

8. Kristine Vencel says:

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip!
    I always look forward to your posts. So very informative & I love to see how you create all your flowers. These are actually stunning flowers! I bought my dies from Sharon. Now to gather my paper & inks & get to work. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful techniques with us, Jerri!

9. Cecilia Reyes says:

Thanks for the tutorial, this flowers are so beautiful. I am glad you have a wonderful time. Keep inspiring us with your beautiful flowers…

Glad that you are back with your post again but how time flies esp. when you were having fun!! Thanks for the tutorial on making the beautiful flowers. I hope I have enough time to make pretty flowers like yours!! It’s been gloomy with rain all the time here for months already!! So it is hard to do intricate crafting work without too much sun light. I am sure the hot & sunny days will come soon!! :(

11. Susan says:

Thank you soooo much for taking the tremenous effort and time to make these tutorials. Because you put in so many pictures and such detailed step by step instructions it’s so easy to follow. These flowers are just so beautiful!

12. Glenda says:

These are simply stunning…I think I most impressed by the colors you have achieved here! Wonderful tutorial. Thanks so much!

I am really enjoying your series of tutorials Jerri. The flowers are gorgeous. I am so glad you had a wonderful time on your cruise.

14. Donna Ellis says:

Hi, Jerri. Your cards and artistry are truly a joy. Thank you for sharing how you piece together your projects – but mostly – thank you for sharing what flows from your heart. hugs, de

15. CherylQuilts says:

Oh, Jerri, I’m so glad you had a wonderful cruise! What a wonderful time to rest and enjoy family! This is another fabulous tutorial, and I just LOVE these flowers and so appreciate the time you take to show each step in a photo! I just ran into a gal at a local stamp shop show was showing us one of her forsythia flowers from Susan’s dies, and I told her about your website. She pulled it up and was so impressed and will definitely visit you! Sending hugs, sweet friend!

16. thanks so much for sharing all the details, can’t wait for the paper to come in :)

So glad to hear you had such a wonderful time on your cruise, I think I would like to go if I didn’t get sea sickness.

17. Jocelan says:

Glad you had a great cruise.I just watched all 3 of the videos,they are amazing.I don’t have spellbinders dies anymore,maybe I can find a cut file in the Silhouette store so I can make these flowers, they are the most beautiful flowers and your tutorials are the best going.
    Blessings Jocelan

18. Linda Brown says:

So beautiful! I love dahlias and these are gorgeous. Can’t wait to watch the videos.

19. bethann d says:

I always love your tutorials. You make me feel like I can do them! I don’t think mine ever look even half as good as yours but I’m learning and getting better. Thank you for your time, talent and willingness to share.

20. sue says:

Your tutorial/pictures/instructions are just the very best…I started using all sorts of paper weights from 90 to 246 until you got back from your cruise…so can u imagine how many I have made??? Lol. I cannot wait to work w/your paper product as I like the pinched effect & casual end result!!! Sooo missed you in your hiatus and am so glad you’re back on FB & back from A WONDERFUL vacation! Finally a big thank you for sharing your skill & talent with the public..it means so much! I owned a bakery & spent ALOT of off hours at home nights making gumpaste flowers for wedding cakes so I guess that’s why I am enjoying papercrafting flowers now!

21. Sheila - UK says:

Hi Jerri,
    So pleased you enjoyed the cruise. I’m late with my comment as hubby and I have had a break, had a lovely time but always nice to come home. Thank you so much for the third Dahlia tutorial…you always make your tutorials so informative and that makes easier to follow. Stunning flowers as always.

Love Sheila xx

22. Chelsea Le says:

Jerri, great idea for the flower stamens! Your flowers are always full and beautiful. What lovely cards for your moms, so special and made from the heart.

So glad you had a wonderful time on the cruise :)