May 26 2014

Dahlia IV Tutorial

Published by at 11:00 pm under Dry Embossing,Spellbinders,Tutorials

Good morning ladies, today I have the fourth Dahlia Tutorial. This tutorial builds on the first three tutorials. I’ve omitted some steps I show in the first three tutorials. For quick reference, I’ve provided links below to the other tutorials where steps are omitted.

Many of you have written to ask about the mulberry paper. I still don’t have it in my store. Apparently it was a very rainy season in Thailand and the manufacturer is behind in production. As soon as I receive it, I’ll announce it in a blog post.

I really love this flower. Of all the flowers I’ve made with the Dahlia dies, it most resembles a large tea rose. The largest flower is approximately three inches in diameter.

In this tutorial, I show how to make the large flower in the picture above.

I used size #5 of the Dahlia dies for this flower. Using a dauber, I sponged Dried Marigold, Aged Mahogany, Tea Dye and Fired Brick Distress Inks (in that order) onto the flowers and spritzed with water. I used a brayer to push and blend the colors on the flower.

Once dry, I wasn’t quite happy with the depth of color so I added more Fired Brick ink to the edges of the flowers and placed dots in the centers with the dauber. I cut four slits in each flower as shown.

I spritzed heavily with water and placed flowers on a paper towel.

While damp, I rolled each quarter of the flower around an embossing tool as I did in previous tutorials.

Using my thumb and index finger, I gently pushed the edges of the petal to form the creases as shown. The creases resemble a raisin or prune.

I loved the color I achieved when I added additional Fired Brick ink. I decided to make smaller versions of the flower (size #3 and #4 dies). I cut and prepared the smaller flowers like I did in earlier tutorials. (See Dahlia Tutorial I and Dahlia Tutorial II)

To make the largest flower I used four of the large flowers. I layered two full flowers (no petals were cut out). I placed them on the embossing mat and used a large embossing tool to cup them as done in previous tutorials. (See Dahlia Tutorial I and Dahlia Tutorial II). I adhered them with adhesive as shown in the picture below.

I cut two 2-petaled pieces from the third flower (this flower is quartered, there are four pieces per flower, see three pictures up, flowers on paper towel), then I cut one of the 2-petaled pieces in half giving me two 1-petal pieces, so we have two 1-petaled pieces and one 2-petaled piece from the third large flower. I cut one petal from the fourth flower, so we have one 1-petaled piece and one 3-petaled piece from the fourth flower. I adhered the edges of the cut petals as shown. Now I have a three petaled flower, a two-petaled flower and three one-petaled flowers. This is rather wordy . . . LOL . . . I’m not very articulate . . . it’s rather quite simple by just looking at the picture.

I inserted the petal pieces into the flower (directions are provided in the earlier tutorials, links are provided above). Now we have the completed flower, together with the purple flower shown in the first picture. I can’t wait to design with these gorgeous blooms!

Now let’s play with the smaller flowers. Prepare the petals as shown in this picture. (See Dahlia Tutorial I and Dahlia Tutorial II for instructions to make these flowers.)

I glued the two large petals together, I cut the smaller flowers as shown in the picture and adhered the edges.

I made an additional smaller flower using only size #3. This flower is about 1 1/4″ in diameter. The two larger flowers are 3″ in diameter. I used an awl to pierce a hole in the centers of the flowers and pulled the stamens through and then placed adhesive in the centers. I purchased the stamens from e-bay.

The completed flowers are so beautiful with Graphic 45’s Botanical Tea papers. Honestly, I have not tried to match up the flower colors to Graphic 45’s paper, I’ve just been very lucky. My flowers are nearly the same color intensity as the flowers in the paper shown here, from a light pink to an intense dark pink shade. I’m sure I’ll be using this paper when I use these flowers in a future design.

For those of you who are not interest in making flowers, but love the beauty of them, The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store has a new line in from Petaloo that are out of this world gorgeous, I’ve purchased several packs and will be using them, as well as my handmade flowers, in upcoming designs. Hopefully I’ll have one completed and posted by Friday. The Tim Holtz Distress Inks, dauber and water spritzer that I use are also available at the The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit today, I have two more tutorials coming and then I’ll be wrapping up the Dahlia tutorials and using all the flowers in future designs.

15 Responses to “Dahlia IV Tutorial”

Wow, wow, WOW!! These roses are fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing your technique with us, Jerri. You are amazing!

2. Cheryl Bux says:

Truly stunning flowers! I will have to try making these.

Just incredible. A feast for these weary eyes. Jerri, you are a veritable magician with paper!

4. Sheila - UK says:

Hi Jerri,
    Anything you touch is magically transformed, whether its turning a piece of paper into stunning flowers or taking a few elements and turning them into the most incredable work of art. You are trully andinspiration to all us crafters out there. Thank you so much for all the inspiration and the hard work you put into your blog.
    Thank you for the link to the Petaloo flowers…always handy if we haven’t got time to make our own. We haven’t got all of them in the UK yet but I’m sure they won’t be long.

Love Sheila xx

And as always…WOW! I agree with Cathy, you are a magician. Thanks again Jerri. Jess

6. Donna Ellis says:

Hi, Jerri – you surely bring a lot of texture and life to your flowers – I can almost smell them. hope you are enjoying a good week. hugs, de

7. dottie says:

All the effort and work it took in producing these flowers is sooo worth it when you get results like this! They really are gorgeous. What’s really great is that these mulberry paper flowers won’t “die on the vine” but will last forever. Thank you for sharing how to make them with us. (Last night on “How Its Made” actually showed how this paper is made in Thailand. My mouth dropped as I watched the process using natural dyes and plants and wood. Really amazing and very labor intensive. I will cherish my paper a whole lot more now!)

8. Absolutely Gorgeous, thanks so much for sharing!

9. Marilyn in E ~Town says:

Beautiful! I love your tutorials! I can’t wait for school to get out so I have time to try these. Have a wonderful day!

10. Chelsea Le says:

Another lovely tutorial Jerri, thanks so much for sharing! They look amazing!

11. Absolutely gorgeous! It’s just amazing how much texture scrunching up those petals adds. Makes them look so real. Thanks so much for sharing these tutorials Jerri. Hugs!

12. Cecilia Reyes says:

I love the color and the shape of these flowers… really beautiful. Thanks for sharing your detailed tutorial. I’d love to buy some mulberry paper, but then I know sometimes things aren’t so smooth as we thought, I hope to find it soon in your store.

13. CherylQuilts says:

Absolutely stunning, Jerri! And I love the colors you’ve used! Can’t wait for the mulberry paper to come it!! (Somehow I think I may have had some WAY back when…LOL!) Hugs, and thanks!!

14. Handcrafted from the finest leather, this Limited Edition Alu-Leather Case (
    iPhone 3 GS) is custom made to the exact specifications of your A
    PP le iPhone 3G S Por todo esto, se antoja imprescindible comprarle una
    funda. Mas, ¿cuál seleccionar?

Por muy elegante y fino que sea tu portátil iPhone, irá todavía más a
    la moda merced a nuestra compilación de fundas.

Ya en el MWC2014 de este año se pronunció con nuevos modelos de smartphones para todos los gustos y bolsillos, por si
    fuera poco próximamente se espera que se anuncie su propio buque insignia a costo
    económico.

15. Cec says:

Gorgeous flowers and your tutorials are fabulous. I can’t wait to try this since I found some mulberry paper at my local art supply store. Now if life would just stop getting in the way.
    Hugs!