May 26 2014
Good morning ladies, today I have the fourth Dahlia Tutorial. This tutorial builds on the first three tutorials. I’ve omitted some steps I show in the first three tutorials. For quick reference, I’ve provided links below to the other tutorials where steps are omitted.
Many of you have written to ask about the mulberry paper. I still don’t have it in my store. Apparently it was a very rainy season in Thailand and the manufacturer is behind in production. As soon as I receive it, I’ll announce it in a blog post.
I really love this flower. Of all the flowers I’ve made with the Dahlia dies, it most resembles a large tea rose. The largest flower is approximately three inches in diameter.
In this tutorial, I show how to make the large flower in the picture above.
I used size #5 of the Dahlia dies for this flower. Using a dauber, I sponged Dried Marigold, Aged Mahogany, Tea Dye and Fired Brick Distress Inks (in that order) onto the flowers and spritzed with water. I used a brayer to push and blend the colors on the flower.
Once dry, I wasn’t quite happy with the depth of color so I added more Fired Brick ink to the edges of the flowers and placed dots in the centers with the dauber. I cut four slits in each flower as shown.
I spritzed heavily with water and placed flowers on a paper towel.
While damp, I rolled each quarter of the flower around an embossing tool as I did in previous tutorials.
Using my thumb and index finger, I gently pushed the edges of the petal to form the creases as shown. The creases resemble a raisin or prune.
I loved the color I achieved when I added additional Fired Brick ink. I decided to make smaller versions of the flower (size #3 and #4 dies). I cut and prepared the smaller flowers like I did in earlier tutorials. (See Dahlia Tutorial I and Dahlia Tutorial II)
To make the largest flower I used four of the large flowers. I layered two full flowers (no petals were cut out). I placed them on the embossing mat and used a large embossing tool to cup them as done in previous tutorials. (See Dahlia Tutorial I and Dahlia Tutorial II). I adhered them with adhesive as shown in the picture below.
I cut two 2-petaled pieces from the third flower (this flower is quartered, there are four pieces per flower, see three pictures up, flowers on paper towel), then I cut one of the 2-petaled pieces in half giving me two 1-petal pieces, so we have two 1-petaled pieces and one 2-petaled piece from the third large flower. I cut one petal from the fourth flower, so we have one 1-petaled piece and one 3-petaled piece from the fourth flower. I adhered the edges of the cut petals as shown. Now I have a three petaled flower, a two-petaled flower and three one-petaled flowers. This is rather wordy . . . LOL . . . I’m not very articulate . . . it’s rather quite simple by just looking at the picture.
I inserted the petal pieces into the flower (directions are provided in the earlier tutorials, links are provided above). Now we have the completed flower, together with the purple flower shown in the first picture. I can’t wait to design with these gorgeous blooms!
I glued the two large petals together, I cut the smaller flowers as shown in the picture and adhered the edges.
I made an additional smaller flower using only size #3. This flower is about 1 1/4″ in diameter. The two larger flowers are 3″ in diameter. I used an awl to pierce a hole in the centers of the flowers and pulled the stamens through and then placed adhesive in the centers. I purchased the stamens from e-bay.
The completed flowers are so beautiful with Graphic 45’s Botanical Tea papers. Honestly, I have not tried to match up the flower colors to Graphic 45’s paper, I’ve just been very lucky. My flowers are nearly the same color intensity as the flowers in the paper shown here, from a light pink to an intense dark pink shade. I’m sure I’ll be using this paper when I use these flowers in a future design.
For those of you who are not interest in making flowers, but love the beauty of them, The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store has a new line in from Petaloo that are out of this world gorgeous, I’ve purchased several packs and will be using them, as well as my handmade flowers, in upcoming designs. Hopefully I’ll have one completed and posted by Friday. The Tim Holtz Distress Inks, dauber and water spritzer that I use are also available at the The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store.
Thank you so much for stopping by to visit today, I have two more tutorials coming and then I’ll be wrapping up the Dahlia tutorials and using all the flowers in future designs.
15 responses so far