Jun 01 2014

Dahlia V Tutorial

Published by at 11:00 pm under Dry Embossing,Spellbinders,Tutorials

I’m back with the fifth tutorial using Spellbinder’s Dahlia dies. The flower we’re making in this tutorial resembles a gardenia, one of my favorite flowers. Unfortunately, my allergies don’t agree . . . :-(!

I’m sorry, still no word on the arrival of the mulberry paper. As promised, as soon as I receive word it’s on its way, I’ll post here on my blog.

I made the flowers above to show that you can use regular card stock to make the flowers; however, it takes a bit more patience and the timing has to be right. If the paper isn’t wet enough, it doesn’t crease well and if there’s too much water, it tears easily. I used Stampin’Up!’s Barely Banana and Blush Blossom for the yellow and pink roses (do those colors still exist?). I used parchment paper to make the small pink rose on the left.

Using a ruler, I drew lines on one flower and punched a 1/8″ hole in the center. This was my template for the rest of the flowers.

I did the same for the smaller flowers. I cut slits between the petals. The two finished flowers shown in the background are made identical to what I show below, except I only used one flower for the centers of each. The flower in the tutorial has two sections for a fuller effect. When making your flowers, you have the option of using one smaller flower in the center or two as shown in the tutorial. This will make sense once you’ve read the tutorial.

I spritzed with water.

Wrap a petal around an embossing tool. (Sorry for the green thumbnail, I was using Peeled Paint to dye leaves.)

Gently squeeze petals together with thumb and index finger.

Continue this with all petals of the flowers.

Make as many sizes as you’d like.  I used #3, #4 and #5 dies.

When flowers are dry, shape as shown.

Adhere two of the larger flowers together.

Cut another large flower (size #5) in half as shown. This is the stage in making the flower where you can opt to use one or two of the flowers in the center for a fuller look.

Adhere edges together to form into two flowers. When I spritzed the flowers with water, there was a bit of peeled paint left on my silicone mat. I like it, it gives the flowers the tiniest hint of green, like the gardenias growing in my yard.

Now adhere those two flowers within the bigger flower and point them in opposite directions as shown. If you opt for a single flower in the center, place just one in the center.

Do the same steps with a size #4 die flower, cut in half and form two flowers as you did above with size #5.

Take two  size #3 flowers.

Cut each flower as shown here and adhere the edges together.

Adhere those sections into the flower as shown. This flower is quite full.

These flowers were made using only one small flower in the center. I rolled the petals around a small paintbrush for the  flower in the center of the picture. The possibilities are endless for shaping your flowers.

For another look to this flower, use two #2, two #3 and one #4 flowers and cut as shown.

I cut two petals from the #4 and adhered them. I cut two petals from a #3.

I cut the other #3 in half, I cut three petals from one #2, I cut the other #2 in half, then I cut two singles and a double from one of the halves as shown.

I adhered all the edges together as shown.

I adhered the largest petals first.

I then layered the smaller petals within the flower as shown.

After adhering all the petals into the flower, I used an awl to pierce through the center of the flower and pulled stamens through the center and adhered them in place.

The flowers are beautiful with Graphic 45’s Botanical Tea designer paper patterns.

In the last tutorial, I show how to make the flowers above and then I’ll be finished with the Dahlia tutorials and can get back to the business of making cards . . . yay!!

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit today, until next time .  .  .  .

Products Used in this Tutorial Include:

Paper:  Graphic 45 – Botanical Tea – Stamp Simply Ribbon Store

Accessories:  Spellbinder’s Dahlia Dies; Mini Misters – Stamp Simply Ribbon Store; Tim Holtz – Peeled Paint Distress Ink – Stamp Simply Ribbon Store; Stamen’s – Michael’s; Crafter Pick Ultimate Glue

17 Responses to “Dahlia V Tutorial”

1. Jan Castle says:

These are GORGEOUS Jerri!!!, I really appreciate the tutorial!!!! TFS

2. Lynne says:

Just beautiful Jerri. Thanks so much for all the wonderful tutorials, will try this one today
    Lynne x

3. Sheila - UK says:

Hi Jerri,
    Another oh so beautiful flower…your tutorials are amazing and so easy to follow. Thank you so much.

Love Sheila xx

4. Janie Printz says:

Those are wonderful flowers Jerri & I appreciate you taking e time to show the step by step tutorial on how to make them. Can’t wait until that Mulbery gets in cuz I definitely want at least one pack depending on its size. How many sheets are there in a pack I might take more if it works up as nicely as it appears to for you. I would love to take personal lessons from you. Do you use a thin or wide brayer when brayering your flowers? Do you apply distress inks 1st then spritz,then run your brayer over it ? I sit with mouth open oooooing & aaaawwwing as I look at your amazing flowers. I LOVE THE PINCHING OR CRIMPING TECHNIQUE YOU USE. That just makes your petals look so realistic.
    Hugs, Janie

5. Joyce B. says:

I just love how real you make these flowers look. I have the die but right now, life is in the way of my playing and probably will be in the way for a while longer. I am saving links to all of your tutorials, so when I get some play time, I can try them out. Thanks for sharing your techniques. The flowers are beautiful.

6. Rebekka K says:

wow, these are just beautiful! They look so real. Thanks for the fabulous tutorial, I have these dies and never have used them :)

7. CherylQuilts says:

Oh, Jerri, these are gorgeous! And thank you for the detail of each photo to show each sep! It’s so helpful! I can only hope to try to make these look something like your beauties! They are absolutely stunning and so delicate! Thanks again, sweet friend!

Thank you for another wonderful tutorial! These flowers are just so very pretty and I can’t wait to try my hand at making them. I have some o l d mulberry paper from years ago that I may put to good use on these flowers….if it doesn’t disintegrate from old age! Thanks again, Jerri!

9. Mitzi Luttrull says:

Thank you so much, Jeri for taking time to create these wonderful tutorials. Now for my flowers to look as beautiful as yours!!

10. Kristine Vencel says:

More gorgeous Jerri flowers! Thank you so much for all the work you have put into these tutorials. I have actually purchased the Dahlia dies from Sharon, but have not used them yet. I was waiting for the mulberry paper. I think I will go to plan b on that project.
    I have used your instrucions on some punched flowers with good results for me. They are NOT Jerri flowers (LOL) but are not too bad. I do understand the paper/wetness connection. I had some problems with that but was able to just glue my flowers into a reasonable shape. The card I made with those flowers is going to my sis today for her birthday. Sure hope she likes it!

Hi Jerri, Your tutorials are always very clear and detailed. I hope no one will ask too many questions on how to do the flowers but to find time to make our own flowers to look like yours!! I do think we can make some flowers with your advice but never will they be as real as yours!! I guess we need a lot of practice!!! Will make some… one of these days to put onto a card!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Love…….Anne

12. Rebecca Ednie says:

I love all your tutorials. The flowers are amazing. But they all look quite similar to me. I’d love to see them side by side. Or maybe a chart with each flower and it’s versions (big, small, more petals, fewer petals) with the number of each die used to make them. A sort of summary. That would be awesome!

13. Gorgeous as usual. Thank you for sharing more of your talents.

14. LindaMar says:

Jerri! Thanks for the detailed tutorial- I will try with some mulberry I have on hand I hope they turn out as fine as yours!

15. Cecilia Reyes says:

These flowers are so beautiful!! Thanks for the tutorial. I know there are supply issues with the mulberry paper, I’ll try with watercolour paper, in the meanwhile.

16. Gorgeous, thanks again for showing and how they look with regular cardstock!

17. Haven’t visited in a long time, but now I wish I had been keeping up! You get more talented every day. Wow – these are amazing! Such wonderful tutorials – watched all of them – loved each of them. TFS!