Jun 12 2014

Dahlia VI Tutorial

Published by at 11:00 pm under Dry Embossing,Spellbinders,Tutorials

Ladies, here is the last Dahlia tutorial  .  .  .  I’m done  .  .  .  woo hoo! Thank you for sticking with me through these long and tedious tutorials.

This tutorial shows how to make the flowers in the picture above. I make three different flowers. It’s long, but easy peasy, I promise! Let’s get started .  .  .

I used Spellbinder’s Dahlia dies size #2 and #3 for the flowers in this tutorial. I cut several flowers and tinted them with Scattered Straw Distress Ink. While the flowers were still damp I folded them in half and then in half once more and twisted them, as shown above. I left them to dry.

Once dried I opened them up as shown.

I used a size #2 die for this flower.

I spritzed the flower with water.

I used a very small embossing tool to ruffle the petals.

I placed the embossing tool on the edge of the petal and with slight pressure pulled the tool toward the center of the flower.

It looks like this when finished.

I turned the flower over and pressed down in the center of the flower with the embossing tool using a lot of pressure. I’m sorry for the picture, I didn’t realize it was blurry until I uploaded the flashcard to my computer and by then it was too late to re-create this step.

The flower looks like this when pressed firmly down into the embossing mat. Let dry.

When dry, pierce a hole in the center of the flower with an awl and insert a cluster of stamens (I show how I made the stamen cluster further down in this tutorial).

You can place adhesive in the flowers’ centers or turn them over and place the adhesive on the back. I prefer to place the adhesive on the back of the flower.

To make this flower, I used paper snips to round the edges of the petals. I turned the flower upside down and cupped each petal with an embossing tool.

I turned the flower over and using the embossing tool, I pressed down in the center of the flower.

I cut two petals out, leaving six. I applied adhesive on top of the petal on the left.

I adhered the right petal over the left petal as shown.

In this picture you can see the overlapping petals where they were adhered . After the picture was taken, I trimmed off the overlap. I used an awl to pierce a hole in the center of the flower for insertion of the stamens.

Place adhesive on the back to secure the stamens and let dry.

Two finished flowers. One flower has four stamens, the other has eight, you can place as many or as little as you’d like.

Take two Dahlia flowers, size #3.

Emboss on the front side of the flower, use a small embossing tool to ruffle the edges (start on one side of the petal and gently press and pull around to the other side of the petal. Do this to both flowers. The firmer you press, the better the ruffle. Do this to all flowers.

Still on the front side of the flower, use a larger embossing tool to gently cup the flower.

Adhere one flower on top of the other.

Do the same steps to size #2 flowers.

I included this picture to show you the stamens before I prepare them. I got these stamens at Michael’s. I found flower pots with small flowers in the dollar bin and purchased them. Each flower pot had several flowers with stamens. I cut the stamens from the flowers and tossed the flower pots. These are the cheapest stamens I’ve ever bought . . . LOL!

I took several stamens from my container and adhered them together with Crafter’s Pick Ultimate Glue. I twisted the ends and let them dry.

Adhere the smaller flower into the larger flower, pierce a hole through the center with an awl and pull the stamens through.

Turn the flower over and adhere the stamens to the flower.

I like to spritz Glimmer Mist on the completed flower.

Let flower dry. The iridescence from the Glimmer Mist gives the petals a natural look.

This flower is made just like the smaller flower above  with the overlapping petals. The only difference is that I didn’t trim the edges of the petals to be round and I pinched the petals while they were wet (when I dyed the paper).

I dyed a size #2 flower with Peeled Paint and cut the petals in slits as shown. I cut off some of the petals and wrapped the calyx around the base of the flower and adhered it as shown.

I used the small flowers in this design. Click here to see the full post with this design.

The Dahlia tutorials can easily be adapted to other Spellbinder’s dies, i.e., Rose Creations, Peonies, etc. I’ve given you the basic techniques I’ve used in all six tutorials. With these basic steps you can pretty much create any flower with most any die set, the sky’s the limit.  Have fun playing girls!

Links to the Dahlia tutorials:

Dahlia I

Dahlia II

Dahlia III

Dahlia IV

Dahlia V

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit today, until next time .  .  .  .

25 Responses to “Dahlia VI Tutorial”

Hi Jerri, Wow!! Aren’t they pretty and so real!! I must do some of these next week!! You never cease to inspire your fans with your talent!! Many thanks for your unconditional sharing of knowledge and skill in your crafting world. I applaud you for that and many other little things as well. You are my great online friend!!! Have a blessed weekend!! Love, Anne

Jerri, I really appreciate this lovely tutorial series. I know how much time it takes to set up and take step by step photos and yours are always so well done. Your flowers are so gorgeous and realistic and so wonderfully vintage. I scanned over the tutorials this morning to see if you list what kind of paper you use to make the flowers but think I missed it. Are you using a special paper that stands up to the water and distressing or just regular cardstock? Thanks so much this wonderful tutorial. Hugs!

3. Sheila - UK says:

Hi Jerri,
    Wonderful flowers once again and great tutorial….it’s amazing how a piece of paper comes alive when you touch it. Thank you so much for all the hard work you have put into your tutorials just so we are able to make your beautiful flowers. Have a lovely weekend.

Love Sheila xx

4. Carol Southern says:

Another great easy to follow tutorial. Thanks for these.
    I’m not getting the results I should and I am pretty sure it’s the mulberry paper I use.
    There are so many different thicknesses and quality of mulberry papers out there and finding the right one is hard. I will keep on trying.

5. Monica says:

Hi Jerri, All I can say is Thank You so much for sharing with us how you made these beautiful flowers, in all of your tutorial’s.

It is now up to us, to take your tutorials in hand, and try to make these beautiful flowers in our homes, with all the exacerbations that go with trying to make our flowers look as beautiful as yours.

Your cards have been such an inspiration to me, and I look forward to incorporating some of your ideas in my cards. The layer look you achieve is so beautiful, especially for hand given cards, and now I have to start making special postal envelopes to take into account the thickness of your cards if I wish to send them via the post.

Thank you, and I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful and inspirational cards.
    Monica from Australia.

Thanks so much Jerri. As I said before, you are indeed a flower making queen! Your tutorials are all easy to follow and the pix are mostly good 😉 I haven’t made any yet but will do for my next mini album. Thanks again for sharing your talents with us. Bug bbc.co hugs, Jess

7. Twila Young says:

Thank you for taking the time to do the tutorials. I often look at the beautiful flowers on a project and wish I could do them. Maybe with your step by step, I can! :)

8. dottie says:

What a major project now in the history books to be referred to at any time we need them. Thank you so much for sharing how you make these; you didn’t have to, but seeing that you did we all can try our hand at feminizing our cards with these beauties. Actually the in depth process of it all makes me appreciate your card creations all the more. These flowers are truly amazingly lifelike. Thanks Jerri.

9. Holly B says:

Thank you for sharing your step by step technique for making the Dahlia Paper Flowers.
    This is something we can all try to do now… Perhaps with a lot of practice we too can have pretty paper flowers… Thank you again Jerri !!!

10. CherylQuilts says:

Oh, Jerri, what a beautiful tutorial…and wonderful finish for the Dahlias! WOW! They are gorgeous, and the colors are sensational. I chuckled about the Michaels flower pot, because we were at Michaels on Monday looking around for stamen, and now I know what to look for…LOL! I saw some “cheap” flowers with stamen…into my basket next time! Looking forward to your getting the new supply of mulberry paper, because I want to try this myself. You have so carefully guided us through each step…how could we not want to try this ourselves? It’s going to take lots of practice, but oh what fun! Thanks again, sweet friend! Hugs!

11. Chelsea Le says:

Your tutorials are the best I’ve seen. Thanks Jerri for taking the time to make them and sharing your technique with us. I want to give all of them a try, they are so gorgeous!

12. Rebekka K says:

Your tutorials are awesome, and your flowers are so stunning.. I have these dies and now armed with these great tutorials I am going to give it a try this weekend.

13. Mitzi Luttrull says:

Thank you, Jeri for the wonderful tutorial. I’ve saved all of them as you’ve worked so hard on each one. I only hope to be able to create flowers as lovely as yours. I’ll check your store for the perfect mulberry paper.
    Thanks again!!
    Mitzi

14. Cecilia Reyes says:

Wow Jerri!! This tutorial is indeed long, but never tedious, the flowers are so beautiful and I think we all thank you so much for sharing the way you do such a beautiful flower, no matter the size. All with the same dies. Thanks for taking the time to work on all these tutorials, we don’t know if sometime we will be able to recreate your gorgeous flowers, but it’s a real pleasure to know how a piece of paper can turn in such a beauty. I’ll be patienly waiting fot the mulberry paper by the end of summer to try this blooms, you kno vacation time is for the family. Thanks a lot for the inspiration.

15. Jan Castle says:

Perfect flowers Jerri….can’t thank you enough for the tutorials on how to make the flowers…guess what I will be doing tonight – LOL!!!

16. Kim says:

They look so life like, I really want to try this out, thank you for showing the technique…inspired!

17. I worked on some flowers yesterday, I didn’t have the die you use, (thought I had that one) so I used the blossom die, I give you so much credit I couldn’t even come close to achieving what you do, you do such a beautiful job with these flowers, thanks you for sharing all these great techniques. These flowers are Gorgeous!!

18. Kristine Vencel says:

WooHoo, you made it! Great job!
    Thank you so much for all your hard, tedious work. These tutorials are so wonderful! We will all become experienced flower makers in no time thanks to you. Now, go have some fun & make some of those gorgeous cards you love!

19. Joyce B. says:

Thank you soo much Jerri. I can’t wait to be able to play with these tutorials. I really appreciate all of the work and effort that you put into doing these.

20. Debbie Dunham says:

Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us! My flowers may not be as nice but after your tutorials they look much better!

Jerri, thank you so very much for this wonderful online course of making these gorgeous flowers. You have a big, generous heart to go to the effort of making this fantastic series on how you make your paper flowers. I am in awe of your imagination and creativity, as well as your generosity. I’m going to give it a try and see if I can make some. If any of them turn out, I’m going to post a pic of them to you!! Thank you so much again, Sweet Jerri!!!!

22. Jocelan says:

Jerri another great tutorial,the flowers are very beautiful.
    Blessings Jocelan

23. Rebecca Ednie says:

These are my favourites! Quick and easy!

24. Janie Printz says:

Don’t know how I missed these but certainly glad I check your blog often. Jerri these are truly fantastic. Are they made with the Mulberry paper ? I want to order some as soon as you get it & hope I don’t miss out but know it’s only a dream that my flowers will ever come close to what you make. I’ve never seen such true to life replicas of flowers such as yours. I LOVE THEM SOOOO MUCH !!!! Also love the little added touches you put into your designs. The twine, the distressed edges, the sewing little bits of cheesecloth & everything else that gives it your signature look.
    hugs, Janie

25. Joyce B. says:

HI Jerri, I thought I had the Dahlia Die but now I am not soo sure. The die I have is Blossom Two. Is that the same die? Thank you for any information you can give me.