Oct 27 2015

Academy of Independent Parchment Craft Tutors Certification

Published by at 10:00 pm under Parchment Craft,Pergamano

Hi friends, I’m back to share exciting news regarding my journey with parchment craft. This year I have taken and passed three levels of parchment craft exams with the Academy of Independent Parchment Craft Tutors, a subsidiary of The UK Teacher Network.

The Academy was set up by Pat Murphy and Linda Williams. These ladies have been active in parchment craft for more than 20 years. They have both attended and taught at several workshops throughout the world. I’m so proud to call Pat and Linda my dear friends.

Pat is a certified Pergamano Instructor, a Fellow with the Parchment Craft Guild, as well as past chair of the Guild. She organizes an annual parchment craft exhibition at Bristol Temple Meads in the UK. Pat is co-founder of the Association of Parchment Crafters, created six years ago. Pat organized trips to Pergamano’s biggest shows, as well as organized workshops with English, Belgium and Dutch teachers in Holland developing a multi-cultural link of parchment tutors throughout Europe. Pat has been published in several parchment magazines.

Linda is a Master Pergamano Instructor, a Fellow with the Parchment Craft Guild in the UK, as well as past Chair of the Guild. She has a passion for designing and has authored four Pergamano books, has been published in several Pergamano M Magazines, as well as Parchment Craft magazines. Linda is resident teacher at Bristol Temple Meads craft exhibition, she has taught throughout Europe, including the Netherlands, France and Italy.

Pat and Linda came together with the dream of starting the academy to spread the craft throughout the world, to share their experiences and build up a network of tutors to share this beautiful craft in areas where tutors are not available. The academy is set up in a three tier system of exams.

Level 1 Cert

To be considered for Level 1, I had to have a basic background knowledge of parchment skills. The basic skills include: tracing with white ink, gold ink, tracing with white pencil, solid embossing, embossing with star/sun tools, stippling, perforated edges, cutting, lace border with multi-needle tools, 4-needle tool lace work, and dorsing using dorso crayons. I submitted several completed parchment designs I had worked to Pat and Linda for review. I was approved for the first level of exams. I was sent six exams to complete. Once I completed the exams they were sent to the UK for review by Linda and Pat. I’m proud to say I passed the first set of exams and was awarded the Level 1 Tutor certificate.

Level 1 Sample

This is an example of what an exam from Level 1 would be like. I created this design by stamping the image onto a sheet of paper using an Alesa Baker stamp. The butterfly is another Alesa Baker stamp that I decreased in size to fit within the scale of the design. Multiple techniques were used in working this design. This was not submitted as an exam, I made this merely to illustrate an example of what is expected at Level 1.

Level 2 Cert

I moved on to Level 2, which consisted of a continuation of Level 1 skills. In addition to Level 1 skills, Level 2 included shadow embossing and basic skills in painting, incorporating the use of ink, felt tip pens and dry pencils using multiple painting techniques, such as round and round, fine lines, among a few.

Red Wold Rose

This card is an example of what a Level 2 exam would be like using the above-mentioned painting techniques. This design was created by Gail Sydenham, a Fellow of the Parchment Guild, as well as past Chair of the Guild, a Pergamano tutor, author of Pergamano books and magazines, as well as designs in various parchment craft magazines. I worked this design from Gail’s book, My Precious Collection.

Snow Bells

This is an example of what a Level 2 exam would look like using the shadow embossing technique. Linda Williams designed this card for a parchment magazine a few years ago. I worked the card using Linda’s pattern, no ink was used. I traced the pattern with a white pencil and embossed the design. An insert card was dorsed with Pergamano dorsing crayons (light blue and green). It is ideal to achieve a smooth gradation of the colors transitioning smoothly together.

Level 3 Certificate

In July I successfully completed Level 3 exams with the Academy. Level 3 is a more advanced painting module. It includes acrylic paints, mixed media, inks and pencils (both wet and dry). The exams at this level are larger than the first two levels, and, as with each of the levels, there were six exams to be completed.

azalea exam

The sixth Level 3 exam could be that of another designer or we could design one of our own. I created this design by stamping the flower image using a masking technique onto white copy paper, I then drew the scrolls around the flowers. The border design was created by Linda Williams on one of her designs, I tweaked it a bit to work with my design.

If you’re interested in learning more about the Academy, please feel free to e-mail me, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Links are provided on the left side bar of my blog to The Academy, to the Parchment Guild and to The Association of Parchment Crafters.

Thank you so much for your visit, until next time .   .   .

Jerri Siggy3

43 Responses to “Academy of Independent Parchment Craft Tutors Certification”

1. Loretta Lock says:

Congratulations! What a remarkable accomplishment.

2. Gerri, your works show how gifted and talented you are. I always enjoy your work and I am always in awe as how perfect it is. Thanks for sharing your accomplishment with us. Congratulations on this fabulous achievement.

3. bonnie bird says:

This is the most beautiful crafting work i have ever seen! Congratulations on your success, it looks as you have certainly earned it. I have never seen or heard of parchment craft and would love to learn more.

Again, congratulations!!!

bb

Jerri, I’m so pleased for you. You have worked so hard for this incredible honor! And the cards you showed us today — they are each and every one absolutely amazing!

Congratulations on reaching this important milestone. I know how important it was to you, and I am delighted for you that your talent and skill has been acknowledged by your peers.

Warmly, Cathy

5. Trianne says:

Congratulations Jerri, well deserved , you do the most beautiful work .Aroha

Wow Jerri!! What can I say but my heartiest congratulations to you on such a well earned achievement!! You must have worked your ends out to be awarded such a high level of accomplishment within 7 months!! God has rewarded you with such talent on crafting arts and esp. parchment work. It needs such delicate hands and eyes too!! 3 cheers to you, Jerri!!
    Hugs,
    Anne

7. Trianne says:

Congratulations Jerri, well deserved, you do the most beautiful work . Aroha

8. Jan Castle says:

Woo Hoo for you! Congrats are in order….well done Jerri!

9. Cathy Hughes says:

Congrats Jerri…you so deserve this and worked so hard.

10. I’m so glad you are back and posting!! I just love your parchment cards and I’m always impressed with your ability. They are just gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for sharing them.

Wow! Congratulations Jerri. All of your projects are gorgeous.

12. Linda Williams says:

Jerri you deserve all your achievements and more. Your work is perfect and exceptionally beautiful. We are very proud to have you as a Tutor in the Academy and look forward to working closely with you.

13. Silke Ledlow says:

Way to go Jerri!!! Congratulations!!!

14. Lydia says:

Beautiful! Congratulations on your accomplishments! I just “play” around with parchment and not very consistently but enough to know that you have a lot to be proud of in what you have done.

Your work is an inspiration.

15. sussipoppins says:

Hi Jerri, your work is so exqisit! Beautiful! Elegant! So much time and love has gone into this….congratulations on what you have achieved.My fav is the level 1, the roses with the butterflies…to die for. Well done. I am so glad I stopped by this morning, I shall be looking forward to viewing more of your wonderful work of art. Inky hugs

Congrats, my friend!

17. Gloria Westerman says:

Jerri I’m so happy for you…Congratulation my friend…you are amazing artist and creator…keep them coming…love looking at your work…thanks for sharing them with us…love it..

18. Carolyn T. says:

Congratulations! What an honor for your beautiful work.

19. Such Gorgeous examples of all your beautiful creations throughout your classes! You do such amazing work, just breathtaking!

20. Cindy Howell says:

Congratulations……….. your hard work paid off. And it’s great that you are doing something you enjoy.

21. Cec says:

Congratulations – well deserved. All the exam pieces are gorgeous. Actually I am surprised you had to do the exams because with the quality of work you produce, they should have approached you and granted the certifications it to you automatically.
    Hugs!
    Cec

• Cec says:

Oops – fingers typing faster than brain working.

The last sentence should have read – . . . . granted the certifications to you automatically.

22. Debe Aston says:

You should be so very proud of yourself! I have always enjoyed seeing your works of heart and art! Just curious…how did you get start in this medium…the very beginning. I actually bought some papers from you thinking I could do this! Ha!

23. Paula Gale says:

Jerry –

These are all exceptional examples of your beautiful work – I am so pleased for you – and whatever the future holds for you with regard your qualifications as a tutor… the world (or the States) is your oyster… good luck is wished for you wherever this may take you.

Paula.x

24. ann says:

Congratulations Jerri, I know this was your dream and I am so happy for you. Your work is exceptional. I always knew you could do it!

Love Ann

25. Faulba Dorsett says:

Congratulations!!! This is wonderful. I know you are so proud of yourself as well you should be.

Congratulations, Jerri! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. You have certainly put in some hours working to perfect your technique and I am so happy you have been rewarded for it! Big congratulations on these certifications. It is wonderful we have someone of your expertise in the United States to guide us in Parchment Craft! So much of the art is in Europe or the UK.
    Also, thank you for sharing some of your submission pieces. They are so gorgeous! And they inspire us all to try Parchment work ourselves.

27. CherylQuilts says:

Oh my heart, Jerri! These are each absolutely exquisite, and I wholeheartedly congratulate you on these accomplishments and and thank you for sharing photos of them. They are breathtaking, and I just love the beautiful and details of each one! Hugs, sweet friend! It’s so nice to see you back and sharing your work with us!

28. Mary Ann says:

Beautiful work. I tried working with this art craft but I just didn’t have the patience. Congratulations on your endeavor. You do beautiful work and love to see your blog.

29. Jackie says:

Your work is exquisite!

30. Velta says:

I am so proud of you!!! Congratulations you deserve your certificates for such intricate and beautiful world!!!

31. Deb Saaranen says:

Amazing and beautiful works of art Jerri! All “frame-worthy” !!!

32. Debbie Dunham says:

Congratulations! Your work is meticulous and your certification proves that you have earned it! So happy for you!

33. Linda Peix says:

Jerri, This is a well deserved acomplishment!! Your work is stunning!

34. Rufus says:

Congratulations on your achievement! The pieces that you showcased were exquisite. The 1st and 3rd are my favorites…so elegant and dreamy. Your work has always been stunning!

35. Jan says:

Congratulations Jerri love well done. Your cards are always beautifu.x :-)l

36. Donna Ellis says:

Incredibly delicate! Congratulations!

37. Monica says:

congratulations, and beautiful work as always.

38. Elke Rigg says:

Beautiful work you deserve to pass all your exams, well done

39. Just WOW! You have certainly found your calling. Congratulations on your accomplishment, Jerri!

40. Ceci Reyes says:

You are such a talented lady. This example in absolutely beautiful, magnifique!!

41. Becky Green says:

GORGEOUS WORK & CONGRATULATIONS on your certificates!!! You’ve earned them well!!! ;)Parchment crafting is something that we need more of in the U.S. crafting circles! I think it so feminine & LOVELY!!! SUPER WORK!!!!!!!!!!!! 😉

42. Madeleine says:

I am interested in becoming certified here in the USA. I had gotten a book to practice but was told if I took that test I would not be able to teach in the States. Are you able to teach in the states with the certification you got?