Jan 14 2016

Wild Roses with Elegant Tatting

I’m so excited to share another of Carol Truebody’s patterns with you. This design is absolutely elegant, a bit vintage and just plain fabulous and challenging to work.

Roses and Lace

This is probably one of the most challenging cards I’ve made to date due to the intricate cutting to create the appearance of tatting in the center of the card.

I traced the vertical and horizontal lines around the two panels, as well as the tatting within the center of the design. I embossed the traced lines around the panels with a single needle tool. I embossed the tatting lines with an extra small ball embossing tool. I painted the flowers with Pergamano Tinta inks. I dorsed behind the flowers with light blue and light purple Dorso crayons, blending with Dorso Oil.

Roses and Tatted Lace2

Look closely at the two panels and you’ll see they are only connected by the two circles that are spaced about an inch apart on both the left and right side (see center tatting panel). If you look at the top and bottom of that center panel, you’ll see that they are not connected to the side panels. The perforating and cutting to create the tatting was painstaking done very carefully and slowly. The hard work paid off, doesn’t the tatting appear amazingly realistic!

Roses and Tatted Lace1

I perforated the perimeter of the card with a 2-split needle tool through four layers of parchment. The inner card was dorsed with a Faber-Castill polychromos pencil in a lime shade. Parchment paper does come in shaded colors, but most times I prefer to create my own colors using dorso crayons (pastels) or polychromos pencils.

Thank you so much for your visit, until next time .   .   .

Jerri Siggy3

29 Responses to “Wild Roses with Elegant Tatting”

As someone who tats, it looks absolutely realistic and if you had told me that it really was a tatted insertion, I would have believed you!

This is an absolutely stunning rendition of a tatted insertion and I adore the painted flowers and the edge as well.

Hugs, Cathy

2. Jan Castle says:

What a PRICELESS piece…I’m blown away with the realistic look you achieve! This definitely needs to be framed and displayed on your wall, or sold at a very steep price!!!!
    I sooooo enjoy seeing your work and thank you for the delight it brings to me – especially at the present time.
    Thank you again for sharing Jerri.

3. Cathy Hughes says:

OMG…gorgeous.

Cathy

4. Laurie says:

Your work is always beautiful and this is no exception. You must have a very steady hand because it looks truly real.

5. Eunice Brown says:

Hi Jerri, I can’t imagine how many hours it took you to do this. I know how long it would take me to tat this by hand, and this must have taken almost as long. It is absolutely gorgeous, what a wonderful job. Hugs, Eunice

6. WOW! Jerri, this is totally amazing. I agree, absolutely looks like real tatting. Your work is beyond compare!

Hi Jerri, Stunning n impeccable work! Your work is always filled with the “wow factor”! I really admire and adore you for such precious piece of work! Brilliant as always! Love, Anne

This is a stunning work of art Jerri. I have no idea how much time this must have taken but it is surely worth it as it is a treasure.

So pretty! Your work is amazing.

10. Dottie says:

Oh my goodness. What an amazing piece! I stretched out the picture on my iPhone so I could apreciate the “tatting” effect and the flowers better. The coloring of the flowers is just so gorgeous and delicate. I’m in agreement with the others that this piece must have taken hours upon hours to do. One slip up in the tatting area and the project would be toast (well sort of). By the way, it is nice to see what you’re up to these days!

11. Cec says:

FAB-U-LOUS!!! Love the atting effect and your painting is gorgeous.

Everyone else is saying this must have taken ages to create so I am going to be bold and ask “Just how long did it take you to create this beauty?”

I take ages to create my projects but not because I am being careful or they are super intricate but more because I can never decide on a design and I often second guess myself.

I knew a lady years ago who did tatting and if she messed up, at least she could back up and start again. You must have all the patience in the world because you could not race through a project like this.

Hugs!
    Cec

12. Bethann d says:

You have surpassed yourself, gorgeous, intricate,elegant

Wow! I really thought you had done the tatting! This was probably as difficult as the regular tatting! If not more! This is gorgeous! You keep surprising me. But I shouldn’t be surprised, you always do such fabulous… beautiful, spectacular and creative things!
    Thanks for sharing your talent
    Hugs, Jessica

14. Gloria Westerman says:

This is definitely a labor of love…and hours of painstaking work…but the end results are amazing…you are definitely a master artist… just beautiful my friend…love it…tfs

15. Suzanne says:

All I can say is, “You have more patience and a steadier hand than I do!” but you do the MOST gorgeous work. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely talent to us to aspire to in our own humble way :)

16. Ceci Reyes says:

Exquisito… The tatting looks so real, absolutely beautiful. I wonder how much patience dedicated to this master piece, everytime I see it I discover something more amazing. You are a truly artist…

17. Ronny says:

WOW Jerri, just WOW! Absolutely beautiful. How you did all that fine piercing is unbelievable. I would have broke the parchment on the first thin line I started. Let alone, the gorgeous coloring that you do. Truly amazing, the whole card.

18. Faulba Dorsett says:

As all of your cards – absolutely breathtaking. I would not have the patience to do this intricate work, but I sure am glad you are so I can enjoy it.

Fabulous!!! This is gorgeous!!!!

20. Debbie Dunham says:

Stunning! It looks like real tatting! You are so talented!

21. Kristine Vencel says:

Absolutely stunning design, and your work is so perfect, Jerri! This is so amazing!

22. Rufus says:

It absolutely looks like tatting! I can’t even begin to to think how long this took to do and how careful you had to be. The wild roses are beautiful and the coloring is exquisite. My question is, how do you ever part with these miniature art canvases? I’d want to frame them and have them on the wall!

23. Gawfunk! that my chin hitting the floor! This is absolutely breathtaking. As a love of old lace I have a lot of ttting. While you created maybe I iwll finally use some of mine on very special cards for very special people. You are amazing. I need to pratice more, though I doubt until I really retire I will have the time to devoted to really just doing my arts. Reopening Flourishes is a more that a full time job, but well worth it.

24. Oh my that is just breath taking, looks so much like a real piece of tatting, so delicate and Lovely, as well as your lovely coloring, Amazing work!

25. Breathtaking Jerri! Everything about this is special; I really love the edging around the design too…what a unexpected detail!

26. I love all of your cards but this one especially. It’s so soft and elegant!!

27. Tracy says:

The details are beyond description. I’m speechless……..

28. CherylQuilts says:

Oh, Jerri, breathtaking! Your work is amazing, and it’s a joy to examine all the fine details! I could look at this card for hours! So glad you are enjoying working these amazing pieces of art and that you are sharing them with us! Blessings, sweet friend!

29. Vi says:

beautiful….now I am interested in learning this kind of art…
    Vi